Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nigella's Lemon Meringue Cake
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:55 pm 

Lindsay posted the recipe for this cake in the Thanksgiving thread a while back. I want to make it for my birthday. Lemon Meringue Cake.

I was wondering if the whipped cream was absolutely necessary. Could I sub more meringue or leave it out entirely? I love meringue, but am not overly fond of whipped cream.

I've always used Ina's recipe for lemon curd. It is lemony and not too sweet. Does someone have one they love? Did I read that lemon curd can easily be made sous vide? If so recipe? TIA.

Post subject: Re: Nigella's Lemon Meringue Cake
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:49 pm 

I'd leave it out. Worst case it's a bit lemony. You could serve it with vanilla ice cream to cut that though (if you like it better than whipped cream).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:11 pm 

Putting that lemon curd that I like on this thread too.
Tangy Lemon Spiral – Emily Richards
Fresh lemon rind and juice offer a sweet tang to the filling of this rolled cake. Serve this cake dusted with icing sugar and a soft whipped cream to feed a crowd.
Cake
4 eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp grated lemon rind
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
pinch salt

Lemon filling
3 egg yolks
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup butter, cubed
2 tbsp grated lemon rind
½ cup fresh lemon juice.

Lemon filling- In heatproof bowl, set over pot of simmering water (water should not touch the bottom of the bowl) and whisk together egg yolks, eggs and sugar in the bowl. Cook, whisking frequently for about 8 minutes or until thickened and pale in colour. Whish in butter, one piece at a time, not adding another piece until the last one is melted. Add lemon rind and juice; whisking constantly for about 4 minutes or until thickened to the consistency of pudding. Scrape into small bowl and cover surface directly with plastic wrap (touching the filling) and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until cold and thick.

Cake- In large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, lemon rind and juice with an electric mixer until well combined and sugar is dissolved. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat into egg mixture on low speed until combined well. Spread into 15*12 inch parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in centre of 350 oven for about 15 minutes or until light golden and springs back when gently touched. Let cool slightly.

Sprinkle icing sugar on large clean tea towel. Turn out warm cake onto tea towel and remove parchment. Roll up into towel from one short end (jellyroll style) and cool completely.

Unroll cake and spread lemon filling evenly, leaving 1 inch at one end. Roll cake back up and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Sprinkle with icing sugar before cutting into 1 inch slices. Garnish with mint and blueberries if desired.

Note- Whip ½ cup whipping cream and fold into filling to lighten if desired.
Spread a thin layer of jam on cake before the lemon filling.
Jean’s notes- I roll from the long end for a bigger cake as that is what she did in the class.
Cake filled with lemon or orange sherbert makes an awesome icecream cake.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:26 pm 

Thanks Jean!