Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chocolate Bundt Cake
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 am 

Oh Fitzie, I'm so sorry that recipe was such a bomb for you!! It definitely makes a smallish bundt cake. I use my 10-12 cup pan but it comes out not as tall as usual. I've not had a sticking problem with it but I spray my bundt pans with flour baking spray pretty heavily. (They're the only pans I do that with, just because of all the nooks & crannies.)

And unfortunately I also have family members who beg me to make a coconut cake I used to make years ago that used cake mix AND Cool Whip. That's a baking hill to die on as far I'm concerned. But glad a box could rescue you this time!

Emilie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:34 am 

Thanks everybody. I did save the cake that fell apart. Sliced it as best I could and served it a couple days later with vanilla ice cream and crushed peppermint candy canes off the little Christmas tree in the kitchen. *Leite's Chocolate Bundt Cake)

fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:25 am 

Alina, reading your post about the different brownie recipes you've tried;
The KAF recipe for "Tasting is Believing Whole Wheat Brownies" is just amazing.
Definitely the best brownie I've ever had.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/PrintRecipe?RID=1228&radio=1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:13 pm 

Thanks Linda, the recipe I use is very similar except for ap instead of ww. Fudge Brownies . They were originally called On the Fence but apparently they updated the recipe and renamed it. I don't use the chocolate chips, instead I upped the cocoa to 1 cup Dutch and ¼ cup black cocoa. I also reduced the sugar to just 2 cups. I bake them in my Baker's Edge pan as I love the crusty edges. (I also use 3 extra large eggs instead of 4 large).

I will try using whole wheat flour next time. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:28 pm 

Fitzie,

I feel sorry for you & you even did the right things to try & prevent a problem, but sometimes its Murphy's Law. At least the family was happy & you were a real trooper to stick it out.

A friend of mine frequently makes yeast rolls on Sunday for supper with the large family. She' a great cook & baker. In a hurry she used Sister Schubert's dinner rolls. #1 Son in law raved they were the best rolls she had ever made. They have a sweet taste & I guess he like them. #2 Son in law egged on the conversation because he knew she hadn't made them & was trying to get #1 son in law in a pickle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:14 am 

I picked up some frozen dinner rolls for use when there's no time to make homemade. If you're in that situation, give Pepperidge Farm's French Rolls a try, they're far better than any other I've bought.
http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDetail.aspx?catID=1702&prdID=121034
Coincidentally, CI did a test of prepared rolls and liked these best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:05 am 

Not to highjack too much, but Alina, try this brownie recipe from Epicurious:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... ies-102992
Fudgy rather than chewy though so maybe not what you're looking for. I use guittard natural high fat cocoa powder.

And for Bundt type chocolate cakes, FWIW, I really like CI's tunnel of fudge cake without nuts. Really good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:19 am 

Thanks Nancy, I will try them and let you know how they compare. I love that they work fine after freezing. I have Penzeys high fat natural (24%), so I'll try it first.

Not sure how it happened but I went a little crazy and forgot what I cocoas I had, and now have a huge assortment: KAF DeZaan natural, Penzeys high fat natural, and Hershey's natural; for Dutch: Droste, Rodelle, Guittard's Dutch-Process Cocoa Rouge, Black cocoa, and the KAF Triple Blend (Dutch-process, for its depth of flavor; natural, for its chocolate-y taste and hint of warm color; and black, for its deep color). I which I end up using most of the time. Apparently bars and chips don't appeal as much, I only have TJs, Guittard (my fave) and Ghirardelli (except for Nestle's minis which I use for my microwave 6 layer bars).

Sorry for the continued hijack.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:41 pm 

My stash is scarily similar. I have a whole lot of Callebaut from Chocosphere, Guittard high fat, green and black that I kept buying on sale, a little leftover el rey and possibly some Valrhona, scharffenberger (not fond of this), Domori (also not fond of), Hershey's, and a bunch of bars and chips. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:36 am 

Nancy, I tried the brownies. Steve loved them. I only made half the recipe and baked in mini muffin tins. I think I overbaked them since I had no clue for time. They were not burnt, but very hard. Even then they were really good. I am going to make them again, full recipe this time, but I'll bake them less. I want to freeze some to have on hand. No problem releasing them from the mini pans, even without greasing them. Thank you very much for the recipe.