Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chocolate Terrine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:55 am 

A few years back I had the most wonderful chocolate terrine for my birthday. The restaurant changed hands and they don't offer that dessert any more. I just saw that Joanne Chang (Flour) has a recipe for it in her new cookbook. Bittersweet Chocolate-Espresso Terrine

So here are my questions: First she calls for some unsweetened and some 68% bittersweet. I have 60% and 72%, do I do some of each to get to 68%?
Secondly, she bakes hers in an 8" cake pan. The one I had was more of a loaf, so can I bake it in a 8 X 4 loaf pan? I can scale it up if I need more volume. If I do that I assume it will bake for the longer time (she says 40 to 50 for the flat cake pan). Can I use a cake tester to tell if done?

I'd like to make that for my birthday in a couple of weeks so thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Chocolate Terrine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:01 am 

New Chang cookbook?!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:02 am 

Oh. Flour Too? Already have it. Lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:55 am 

I would assume that a cake tester would not be a reliable way to tell if a terrine is set ['...until the cake is mostly set when you jiggle it.'] .

Cooking time is always hard to determine when pans are changed, but they are probably similar. I seldom make a change as drastic as pan size and shape until I have made it according to the recipe at least once.

This loaf pan Chocolate Terrine is good for comparison.

I do not think that you can make a mistake no matter what you decide to do with the chocolate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:46 am 

Your chocolate will be fine. Use some of each, or just use the one you like best. If this is baked in a water bath, make sure it's deep enough to come about 3/4 up the sides of the pan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:05 am 

I'd go with 72% and increase the sugar slightly to compensate. Or vice versa and use the 60% and lower the sugar. And, Becky and I disagree about water baths. I think they do not need to come half way up, maybe 1/3.

I don't like cake testers, especially with chocolate cakes...you can tell if they're done by jiggling and the look of the cake.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:53 pm 

Thank you all.

Amy I appreciate the note about the sugar, I would not have thought of that. I hate water baths because I am so clumsy (why I always do my flan in the PC), but have done them successfully before with taller pan. With a cake pan, I am afraid I'd get water in the cake, part of the reason for a taller pan.

Thanks for the Gale Gand recipe Jim. RF would not work on the new Food Network site, so I went looking for another version and Google had it in Books. There she says to reduce cooking time by 5 minutes if baked in a 8" pan, so I'll try the reverse.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:31 am 

Reporting back on the terrine. I finally was able to make this for our anniversary Sunday. Another winner from Joanne Chang. It came out great. I used an 8" X 4.5" loaf pan, TJ's pound plus for the bittersweet and Ghirardelli baking bar for the unsweetened. I left the sugar the same. I only had extra large eggs, so I used 3 whole and 3 yolks per the recipe. Instead of melting the chocolate and butter in a water bath per the recipe, I put them in the microwave 50% for 2 minutes, out to stir and back in for 2 more minutes. This was one of the easiest cakes I've ever made. I served it with the Lavender honey and Lemon whipped cream I had made for the Lavender Honey and Lemon Tea Cakes from Ottolenghi (by the way froze two of those to see how they do after being frozen).

The best thing about the terrine was that you only need a thin slice. It was even better today than yesterday if that is possible. Thanks again for the help. I highly recommend this recipe.