Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New cookie of the season - Star Anise Snickerdoodles
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:07 pm 

I found the recipe for Star Anise Snickerdoodles in Cooking Light December 2013, and I had to try it! I love star anise in savory dishes, both whole and in 5-spice, but rarely see it in sweets. The recipe turned out very good, with a milder flavor of anise than I expected, though the flavor may intensify upon storing, as spices often do. I made one recipe as is, then, since those flattened too much, I increased the flour by 3 tb.(25g, or .85 oz), and switched the leavening to 1/2 tsp cream of tartar + 3/8 tsp soda (more like my traditional snickerdoodle recipe). I also made the cookies much smaller, even the first time, rolling the balls of dough only a scant 1" in diameter, getting about 40 cookies (24 would have been WAY too big). The next three recipes turned out great.

Star anise is very tough to grind - I pass it through a fairly fine strainer (not the finest, but almost), which traps about half the powder, then I grind it again, and sift that. About 20% gets discarded, but this is better than having those woody pieces end up in the food.

Another tip: the spice leftover in your spice grinder top will not come out in the dishwasher, at least not much of it. I soak it in a solution of oxy clean and boiling water, which gets almost all of it out - still a hint of anise aroma, but it will dissipate.

Post subject: Re: New cookie of the season - Star Anise Snickerdoodles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:00 pm 

Sounds good, but I am too lazy to grind my own. We use anise in a lot of sweet dishes in my family, maybe it's a Germans from Russia thing. My new favorite cookie this season is Rosemary Chocolate Chip Shortbread (I think from the Food Network 12 Days of Cookies). Delicious.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:10 pm 

Darcie wrote:
Sounds good, but I am too lazy to grind my own. We use anise in a lot of sweet dishes in my family, maybe it's a Germans from Russia thing. My new favorite cookie this season is Rosemary Chocolate Chip Shortbread (I think from the Food Network 12 Days of Cookies). Delicious.

That is weird enough to be good...share please?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:04 pm 

Linkey here

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:48 pm 

That does sound good, Darcie. I make a rosemary shortbread, but never with chocolate chips. I'll have to try it, though I don't have any mini chips. I do have a branch of rosemary I broke off yesterday by accident, and I know what I'll make with some of it now!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:32 pm 

Well, I made some already, Darcie! Instead of cutting into rectangles, however, I cut into small circles - using a 1 3/8" cutter. They sort of flattened some, so next time I'll add more flour. I used 5.0 oz for each cup, so I'll use the extra CI recommends, which usually makes things too dry, but it should help here.

I made 2 1/2 recipes - only because I had 2 1/2 sticks of butter left from making cookies with a couple nights ago, and I wanted to use it all. They turned out very good, and I got an idea from a leftover batch of melted chocolate sitting there from my chocolate chip coconut macaroons: instead of using chocolate chips, dip half the shortbread in chocolate, and cool on wax paper.

I only ate one, as the butter and rosemary flavor will get stronger by tomorrow, but they are already delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:45 pm 

This is one of my new favorites. They were called monster revel bars, but I renamed them. :mrgreen:

peanutbutteroatmealchocolatechipfudge thingies

For the cookie part
3 cups quick cooking oats
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup mini M&M’s (I use 6 oz. of good milk chocolate chopped (I use sharffenberger 40% milk)
1 cup mini chocolate chips

for the fudge center
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or 9 oz. of bar chocolate/callets)
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Beat 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup peanut butter, and the brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until mixed. Stir in the candy and 1 cup mini chocolate chips.
3. In a medium saucepan, heat sweetened condensed milk, 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
4. Pat 2/3 of the oat mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over the top, then dot with remaining oat mixture.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown on top. Let cool completely on a wire rack, then cut into bars.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:55 am 

My new cookie of the year were "Glühwii Herzli", a plain cookie heart, fill with a mulled wine filling and glazed with a powdered sugar-mulled wine glaze. I usually don't make Swiss cookies, but this was a hit. I also made a candy kind of thing, ground dates, stem ginger, hazelnuts and honey rolled into balls and dipped in chocolate. Nice.

Mary