Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CI's Old Fashioned Chocolate Layer Cake
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 pm 

For some reason, I thought this cake had gotten mixed reviews, ie, too dry and/or not chocolatey enough. Has anyone tried it?

Post subject: Re: CI's Old Fashioned Chocolate Layer Cake
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:52 pm 

Here's my original review from when I tested this recipe. I gave it five stars:
Though I never have problems with cakes (pies yes, cakes no) I followed the recipe exactly. No problems with the cakes, I used Pyrex 9" glass pans though, and I guess that was a no-no. Next time I will probably melt the chocolate in the microwave as I usually do. I did have to bake the layers for the full time suggested. For the frosting I cooked and mixed as told. Put the Kitchen aid bowl on a glass bowl with the entire contents of the ice maker. I don't have the fancy thermometer, just the Polder one. Hardest thing was to not let it touch the bottom of the bowl. Got the temperature down slowly and then wham 68. So I took the ice out ran hot water around the bowl, now I'm at 72, so back in the ice bowl until 70 and finished and frosted the cake. I cut the layers in half and added raspberry preserves mixed with whip cream to the bottom and third layer with the frosting in between. The thing was huge and looked lovely on the inside. The frosting tasted great and looked ok ( frosting beautifully is not my forte anyway) and everyone raved about it. Both Steve and I liked the frosting, not too sweet and I do almost anything not to have to use confectioners sugar, so I loved it.

Since then I've gone back to my old ways, e.g, microwaving the chocolate in a Pyrex measuring cup, etc. Still very good.

There is another CI cake that I thought was not as good as others I'd made. I am thinking it was the sour cream one. My two CI chocolate favorites remain the Bittersweet Mousse and the Triple Mousse. I have an old chocolate cookbook that has a sour cream cake I love, so I tend to go back to that one, it not enticed by a new recipe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:19 am 

Hey Meryl,
I actually really liked this cake. I wasn't as fond of the chocolate bundt type cake. I agree with Alina about the bittersweet mousse cake. I also like the flourless chocolate cake.
Nancy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:54 pm 

Thank you both - I'll have to try it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:32 am 

I'll be the dissenter. I found it very dry. In fact, I think I prefer oil based chocolate cakes. I think I liked the frosting...but not making it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:49 pm 

beccaporter wrote:
I'll be the dissenter. I found it very dry. In fact, I think I prefer oil based chocolate cakes. I think I liked the frosting...but not making it.

Interesting - I thought it had gotten mixed reviews, as I previously noted. Have you tried the Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake? What do you think of that one? I like it a lot, but my all-time favorite chocolate cake is from Chocolatier -it's very chocolatey and ultra moist, and is made with butter, but it's melted butter, not softened/creamed butter. It also has a good amount of brewed espresso and lots of buttermilk, so the result is an ultra moist texture.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:02 pm 

Becca,

I'm with you on chocolate cakes made with oil, especially given how dry it is here. For the same reason I prefer soft rolls made with oil.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:30 pm 

Emilie gave me this oil-based Tuxedo Cake recipe and I think it is one of the best I have ever made. I always made the Old Fashioned Layer Cake before BUT this is easier and really fantastic. It makes a gigantic cake though. I served 16, then 8 small pieces the next day and there was still some left. I think, when I make it again, I will only use 1 layer, split and filled, and freeze the rest. People loved it but there was a lot left on the plates because it was too much food.

http://thebakingpan.com/recipes/cakes/t ... oaDRI3aiGN

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:37 pm 

It has been a long time since I made it. I really liked the frosting. Sour cream bundt cake just didn't do it for me. Not chocolatey enough.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:55 am 

I wasn't super crazy about the cake. The frosting was amazing until I refrigerated the cake, and then it lost its beautiful cloud-like texture and it never came back even after coming back up to room temperature.

My favorite is the epicurious double chocolate cake.