Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CI's Old Fashioned Chocolate Layer Cake
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:10 am 

I just made this cake yesterday. I did not find it to be dry. I filled it with the chocolate pudding from the Blackout Cake recipe and frosted it with a very old recipe for Sea Foam Frosting that is a sugar syrup/egg white meringue flavored with coffee. It comes out like divinity and is very good.
It was delicious and beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:38 pm 

I have an old go-to recipe for chocolate cake made with buttermilk that is always moist and delicious and has never failed. I am always hesitant to try a new one because I am afraid I just won't like it in comparison...so I have never tried this one...or any other CI recipe. But I am really tempted to try the bundt cake that gets such good reviews.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:38 pm 

I have an old go-to recipe for chocolate cake made with buttermilk that is always moist and delicious and has never failed. I am always hesitant to try a new one because I am afraid I just won't like it in comparison...so I have never tried this one...or any other CI recipe. But I am really tempted to try the bundt cake that gets such good reviews.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:20 pm 

I'd love to try your recipe, Cookie. I'm always looking for a great chocolate cake recipe.

To my mind a bundt cake is different than a layer cake. Bundts are more casual and don't need a special occasion in my mind. So you should try it. Plus it freezes well. I've frozen individual slices for pulling out on a whim later. It's really good with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream, or with a drizzle of chocolate or raspberry sauce, or both. It's a bit plain on its own though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:35 am 

marygott wrote:
Emilie gave me this oil-based Tuxedo Cake recipe and I think it is one of the best I have ever made. I always made the Old Fashioned Layer Cake before BUT this is easier and really fantastic. It makes a gigantic cake though. I served 16, then 8 small pieces the next day and there was still some left. I think, when I make it again, I will only use 1 layer, split and filled, and freeze the rest. People loved it but there was a lot left on the plates because it was too much food.

http://thebakingpan.com/recipes/cakes/t ... oaDRI3aiGN

Mary

I'm so glad you've liked that recipe, Mary. No matter how many chocolate layer cake recipes I try, I always go back to that one. And you're right -- it makes 3 big layers. I always only use one or two and then put the other(s) in the freezer. In fact I've got 4 layers in there now as I made a double recipe a while back and only used 2 layers at the time. Now I've got those to use when I make cakes as client gifts soon.

And FWIW, I've found this recipe to be the easiest and most requested chocolate bundt cake I've ever made. It comes together incredibly fast and the best thing about it is that it gets better the longer it sits. In fact I'm really wishing right now I had a slice to perk up my morning :)

http://leitesculinaria.com/78146/recipes-chocolate-sour-cream-bundt-cake.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:16 pm 

Fwiw, A bundt cake that I do like is ATK's tunnel of fudge cake without nuts. If you bake it properly, the middle is velvety. The glaze adds to the chocolate. And it freezes well. I keep meaning to make that tuxedo cake...
Nancy