Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cupcakes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:41 pm 

Anybody have good recipes for both yellow and chocolate cupcakes that are light and tender?
TIA

Post subject: Re: cupcakes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:42 pm 

CI's Dark Chocolate Cupcakes - they're excellent.
Note: Some reviewers found these to be too dry, so I added 4 Tbsp boiling water mixed with 1 1/2 tsp instant espresso. I also added an extra Tbsp sugar to balance out the espresso. I frosted with a dark chocolate ganache.

DARK CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES

"This recipe does not double very well. Cupcakes made from a doubled batch and baked side by side in the oven yield a slightly compromised rise. It's best to make two separate batches and bake each separately. Store leftover cupcakes (frosted or unfrosted) in the refrigerator, but let them come to room temperature before serving."

INGREDIENTS:

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Ghirardelli 60%)
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa (1 1/2 ounces)
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (3 3/4 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar (5 1/4 ounces)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup sour cream (4 ounces) (I used lowfat)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard-sized muffin pan (cups have 1/2-cup capacity) with baking-cup liners.

2. Combine butter, chocolate, and cocoa in medium heatproof bowl. Set bowl over saucepan containing barely simmering water; heat mixture until butter and chocolate are melted and whisk until smooth and combined. Set aside to cool until just warm to the touch.

3. Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder in small bowl to combine.

4. Whisk eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla, and salt and whisk until fully incorporated. Add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Sift about one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined; whisk in sour cream until combined, then sift remaining flour mixture over and whisk until batter is homogenous and thick.

5. Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Bake until skewer inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.

6. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before icing, about 30 minutes. (To frost: Mound about 2 tablespoons icing on center of each cupcake. Using small icing spatula or butter knife, spread icing to edge of cupcake, leaving slight mound in center.)

Makes 12 cupcakes

from the Episode: Dark Chocolate Desserts
America's Test Kitchen (Cook's Illustrated)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:58 am 

These are my absolute favorites. They are great with a dollop of the frosting in the middle. but really good without it too.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES*****

Moist, chocolatey and held well for 2 days.

Oven Temperature: 350°F Servings: 6 Yield: Makes 12 cupcakes

Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Inactive Time: 1 hour Total Time: 2 hours

2 oz. (56 grams) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
30 g. Dutch-processed cocoa powder (¼ cup)
200 g. granulated sugar (1 cup)
4 oz. unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/3 cup water (80 g.)
1/2 cup milk (120 g.)
1 extra-large egg
1 extra-large egg yolk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
140 g. unbleached all-purpose flour (1 cup)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
6 servings CRISPY MAGIC FROSTING

Position a rack in the center of the oven, and heat the oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a standard 12-cup muffin tin, or line with paper liners.

In a small heatproof bowl, combine the chocolate and cocoa powder. In a small saucepan, heat the granulated sugar, butter, and water over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot butter-sugar mixture over the chocolate-cocoa mixture and whisk until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is homogeneous.

Whisk the milk, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla into the chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined.

In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well mixed. Dump the flour mixture on top of the chocolate mixture. Whisk until the dry ingredients are totally mixed into the chocolate mixture. Let the batter sit for at least 1 hour at room temperature, or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. (This allows the liquid to be totally absorbed into the batter, so the batter thickens up a bit and isn't so soupy.)

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, dividing it evenly and filling the cups to the rim. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the tops spring back when pressed with a fingertip. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.

Recipe Type: Chocolate, Cupcakes and Petit Fours, Desserts, Flour Bakery Cookbook, Joanne Chang

Author: Joanne Chang
Source: FLOUR: SPECTACULAR RECIPES FROM BOSTON’S FLOUR BAKERY + CAFE
Web Page: http://www.projectfoodie.com/spotlights ... child.html

CRISPY MAGIC FROSTING*****

Recipe makes more than is needed for 12 cupcakes. Store the remainder in refrigerator for 2 weeks or freeze.

Fantastic, stays soft, but not runny, not too sweet.

Servings: 8 Yield: about 3½ cups

Preparation Time: 24 minutes Cooking Time: 6 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes

140 g. granulated sugar (⅔ cup)
2 extra large egg whites (60 grams)
12 oz. unsalted butter (3 sticks) at room temperature, cut into 2-inch chunks
230 g. confectioners' sugar (1⅔ cup)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 TBS. milk
1 TBS. vanilla extract

While the cupcakes are cooling, in a small heatproof bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and egg whites to make a thick slurry. Place the bowl over (not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat, whisking occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture is hot to the touch. It will thin out a bit as the sugar melts.

Remove from the heat and scrape the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment (or use a hand-held mixer). Whip on medium-high speed for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture becomes a light, white meringue and is cool to the touch. Turn down the speed to medium, add the butter, a few chunks at a time, and beat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the butter is thoroughly incorporated. Add the confectioners' sugar, salt, milk, and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed until the mixture is smooth and satiny. You should have about 3½ cups. (Use immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 3 days, then beat with the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for a few minutes until smooth before using. Or, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, then bring to room temperature and paddle for a few minutes until smooth before using.)

Remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin. Fit a pastry bag with a small round or star tip and fill the bag with the frosting, then pipe the frosting onto cupcakes. Or, spread the frosting on the cupcakes with an icing spatula.

The cupcakes taste best on the day they are baked, but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Recipe Type: Desserts, Eggs, Flour Bakery Cookbook, Frosting and Icings, Joanne Chang

Author: Joanne Chang
Source: FLOUR: SPECTACULAR RECIPES FROM BOSTON’S FLOUR BAKERY + CAFE
Web Page: http://www.projectfoodie.com/spotlights ... child.html

BUTTERMILK CUPCAKES

The buttermilk ones posted by Amy are fantastic. They baked up with a slight dome, very tasty and moist and stayed good for 3 days. Great staying power. I have to say though that this is EXACTLY Ina's recipe for her famous coconut cupcakes, minus the coconut and almond extract and substituting cake flour for all purpose.

Oven Temperature: 350°F Servings: 12 Yield: 24 cupcakes

Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Inactive Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes

3 cups cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¾ lb. (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1⅓ cups buttermilk
24 SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM

Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 24 cupcakes tins with baking papers. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour.

Fill each baking cup ⅔ full. Bake until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

Recipe Type: Cakes, Cupcakes and Petit Fours, Desserts

Author: Sara Neumeier
Source: Cupcakes Year-Round: 50 Recipes for Every Season and Celebration
Web page: http://www.cookstr.com/cookbooks/cupcak ... elebration

The buttermilk ones posted by Amy are fantastic. They baked up with a slight dome, very tasty and moist and stayed good for 3 days. Great staying power. I have to say though that this is EXACTLY Ina's recipe for her famous coconut cupcakes, minus the coconut and almond extract and substituting cake flour for all purpose.

Amy twinmom CIBB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:24 am 

Despite the fact it's not even breakfast time, I find myself craving cupcakes...

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:59 am 

My favorite cupcakes are not cupcakes but muffins.http://search.kingarthurflour.com/search?p=Q&asug=&af=type%3Arecipes&w=irish+soda+bread+muffins.
In fact I just made up a batch of them in my Texas-size muffin pans yesterday. I love these because they are not particularly sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:59 pm 

Thanks!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:07 am 

You all can have the cupcakes, I'm dying to try Alina's Crispy Frosting.

fitzie

PS: my favourite "cupcakes" are Ree Drummonds French Breakfast Puffs. Made them for the boys one day and they ask for them every weekend now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:51 am 

Why is the frosting called crispy frosting? (did I miss something?)

Makes me want cupcakes too!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:29 pm 

Actually it's called Crispy Magic Frosting and I don't have a clue. Maybe Alina will let us know.

fitzie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:43 pm 

I don't know why Joanne Chang called it that. All I know is that I love it. Its a combo of meringue and buttercream. Maybe she explains it in the book, but I gave it to DD so I can't look it up.