Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Girly Birthday Cake
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:33 pm 

marygott wrote:
The icebox cake looks great but I can't get sponge cake lady fingers. And none of you should even think about giving me a recipe to make them! :twisted:

I've made this with sponge cake layers instead of ladyfingers. It didn't look as pretty, but tasted great - much better than the store bought ladyfingers.
One of these days, I may try making my own ladyfingers, but it's not a priority.
You could use the crisp ladyfingers, and soak them in milk or coffee or Kahlua, as some reviewers did.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:21 pm 

Mary, I've posted a lemon spiral cake here a few times. It's made in a sheet pan and then rolled, then unrolled and filled with lemon curd or ice cream. Serve with whipped cream and blueberries for the lemon curd version. Let me know if you want me to email it to you.

Edit to just add it here again. ;-)

Tangy Lemon Spiral – Emily Richards
Fresh lemon rind and juice offer a sweet tang to the filling of this rolled cake. Serve this cake dusted with icing sugar and a soft whipped cream to feed a crowd.
Cake
4 eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp grated lemon rind
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
pinch salt

Lemon filling
3 egg yolks
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup butter, cubed
2 tbsp grated lemon rind
½ cup fresh lemon juice.

Lemon filling- In heatproof bowl, set over pot of simmering water (water should not touch the bottom of the bowl) and whisk together egg yolks, eggs and sugar in the bowl. Cook, whisking frequently for about 8 minutes or until thickened and pale in colour. Whish in butter, one piece at a time, not adding another piece until the last one is melted. Add lemon rind and juice; whisking constantly for about 4 minutes or until thickened to the consistency of pudding. Scrape into small bowl and cover surface directly with plastic wrap (touching the filling) and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until cold and thick.

Cake- In large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, lemon rind and juice with an electric mixer until well combined and sugar is dissolved. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat into egg mixture on low speed until combined well. Spread into 15*12 inch parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in centre of 350 oven for about 15 minutes or until light golden and springs back when gently touched. Let cool slightly.

Sprinkle icing sugar on large clean tea towel. Turn out warm cake onto tea towel and remove parchment. Roll up into towel from one short end (jellyroll style) and cool completely.

Unroll cake and spread lemon filling evenly, leaving 1 inch at one end. Roll cake back up and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Sprinkle with icing sugar before cutting into 1 inch slices. Garnish with mint and blueberries if desired.

Note- Whip ½ cup whipping cream and fold into filling to lighten if desired.
Spread a thin layer of jam on cake before the lemon filling.
Jean’s notes- I roll from the long end for a bigger cake as that is what she did in the class.
Cake filled with lemon or orange sherbert makes an awesome icecream cake.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:31 pm 

Tunnel of fudge from CC? Gourmet on line had a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting that was great.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... ake-367789

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/ta ... 42551.html (I leave out the nuts and it works just fine).

CI's strawberry shortcake like cake?

Good luck :-)

Nancy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:39 am 

So many good ideas! I have heard so much about that coconut cake BUT I can also not get sweetened coconut here. I can get frozen grated coconut and someone gave me a recipe once for making my own but I haven't tried it yet. I am in love with lemon and love the idea of a cake with some kind of filling. And that tunnel of fudge cake looks AWESOME. I also have never made a rolled cake before. I have some thinking to do!

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:11 am 

Mary, Cuisine at Home in Issue 14 has an excellent pictorial spread on making a jelly roll cake. I wish I could get it to you. The one key is to have nice clean cotton towels, roll it while warm and leave it for 30 minutes before you unroll it to add the filling. The re-rolling won't be hard.

I used to make a chocolate one from one of my English cookbooks and it always turned out beautifully, they are look more scary than they are. I am posting the recipe below in case you want the more detailed directions. I always use Ina's lemon curd so not posting that.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

LEMON CAKE ROLL
Use lemon syrup and lemon glaze from Ina. .I've never had a problem with just inverting the cake on the first cooling rack with a sugared towel on it and removing pan and parchment paper then rolling it. Lots of extra steps here - never had a problem with unrolling, filling and rerolling.

Oven Temperature: 350°F Servings: 8

Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes

1 cup sugar
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
4 eggs separated
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup water
¼ cup fresh lemon juice, strained
1 TBS. vanilla extract
2 egg whites (save yolks for lemon filling)
¼ cup sugar
8 serving LEMON FILLING FOR LEMON CAKE ROLL
8 serving STRAWBERRY SAUCE FOR LEMON CAKE ROLL

Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a sheet pan with nonstick spray and line bottom with parchment. Spray the parchment; set pan aside

Sift together the dry ingredients in a bowl, and set aside.

Separate eggs and reserve whites. Whisk together egg yolks, oil, water, juice, and vanilla in another bowl. Gradually add wet ingredients to the dry. Whisk the mixture, scraping the sides, just until smooth and free of lumps. Set batter aside.

Beat the 4 reserved whites plus 2 more whites until foamy in a clean bowl.

Gradually add ¼ cup sugar and beat until soft peaks form. With a whisk, stir ⅓ of the beaten whites into cake batter to lighten it.

Gently fold in remaining whites so volume isn’t lost. Pour batter into pan. Gently spread batter evenly, making sure it reaches corners. Bake cake on the middle rack of oven, 15–20 min. Watch it carefully. The top will be evenly golden, and the sides will have pulled away from the pan. To tell if the cake is done, gently touch the center—it should spring back lightly.

while the cake bakes, place a towel on a large cooling rack and sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar - this help keep the cake from sticking.

When cake is done, remove from oven & loosen edges with a knife. Turn cake onto prepared towel and remove sheet pan.

Loosen a corner of the parchment paper and gently peel it off. Generously sprinkle this side of the cake with more powdered sugar.

Cover the cake with another towel. Place a cooling rack or sheet pan upside down on top of cake. Grasp all the layers and invert the cake.

Remove top cooling rack and towel; sprinkle brown side of cake with more sugar.

While cake is warm, roll it up, starting at one of the short sides. Roll towel up inside cake (keep it fairly tight). Cool on rack 30 minutes.

Unroll cooled cake onto a work surface. There will be a few cracks - it's normal.

With pastry brush, paint thin layer of strawberry sauce over the surface of the cake.

Dollop filling in blobs on cake and spread, leaving ½" border on long sides of the cake.

Using towel to get you started, roll the cake keeping first turn fairly tight. finish rolling then wrap loosely in towel, chill or freeze.

Recipe Type: Cakes, Cuisine at Home, Desserts, Lemon
Source: Cuisine@Home, April 1999, Issue 14, p. 38

STRAWBERRY SAUCE FOR LEMON CAKE ROLL

Servings: 1 Yield: 2½ Cups

Preparation Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes

4 cups fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
¼ cup sugar
1 TBS. fresh lemon juice, strained
1 TBS. dark rum or Limoncello

Combine the whole strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and rum in the bowl of a food processor.

Recipe Type: Cuisine at Home, Desserts
Source: Cuisine@Home April 1999, Issue 14, p. 43

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:36 pm 

Awesome instructions Alina.
Mary, this is a very simple cake, I've not had any issues and am no decorator. As Alina said the main thing is to roll it warm. I normally make it a smidge smaller than the parchment and then use that to help roll it up.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:41 pm 

Thanks, those are great instructions. Decisions, decisions.

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:33 am 

Well, I made the Tuxedo Cake that Emilie kindly sent me the recipe for. Hot damn. It looked like Emilie's except it was a wee bit crooked and the white chocolate set up very quickly so my swirly things were not all that. It was respectable looking (considering the source) and the taste was out of this world. Very fudgy, dense chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate ganache. I am not even a big chocolate person and I swooned. People kept saying "oh, my God" and "this cake, this cake!" while eating it.

It is also ENORMOUS! 3 very big layers (called for 9" cake pans, I used 8 1/2" ring form pans as that is what I have). I served 14 people generous portions on Friday night (too generous, not all was eaten) and still had enough for 8 more people on Sat and there was still a good sized piece left. I think, when I make it in the future (and I will), I would only use 1 layer to split and fill and freeze 2. Emilie said she usually does 2, but that still would be a big hunk o' cake.

She also gave me the best tip ever. After taking the cake out of the oven, press down gently on the cake with a plastic wrap covered round of cardboard to flatten it out. We had just recycled so were out of cardboard so I used a round metal cookie tin and wrapped the lid in plastic. Worked very well.

Here is the link for the recipe:
http://thebakingpan.com/recipes/cakes/t ... gt-T7whRGE

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:15 am 

Bumping this as I am making the tuxedo cake to take for Thanksgiving as a birthday cake (on Sunday, as in Canada, being American gets you no special holiday time). Could it be made and frosted on Friday, do you you think? Or layers on Friday and frosted on Sat?

Hope someone has a little time to check here amidst all the turkey prep craziness. Happy Thanksgiving!

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:56 am 

Layers on Friday, freeze them and frost them on Saturday and you'll be fine. Frozen layers shed fewer crumbs.