Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Girly Birthday Cake
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:53 pm 

marygott wrote:
Bumping this as I am making the tuxedo cake to take for Thanksgiving as a birthday cake (on Sunday, as in Canada, being American gets you no special holiday time). Could it be made and frosted on Friday, do you you think? Or layers on Friday and frosted on Sat?

Hope someone has a little time to check here amidst all the turkey prep craziness. Happy Thanksgiving!

Mary

Hey Mary. Obviously I'm late to the party but figured I'd chime in anyway. Becky's of course right -- it's risky to do it in advance if you're whipping the cream with only powdered sugar per the recipe. But it actually can be frosted and ganached (making up that word :D ) a day ahead if you have access to whipped cream stabilizer like Whip It. I've assembled the entire cake a day (or even two) ahead and it is good as new as long as it's been kept in the fridge. But -- it doesn't hold up nearly as long as without the stabilizer.

Actually I try to always keep one or two tux layers in the freezer because then it's so easy to pull them out and assemble if I need a cake in a hurry. And Ganache freezes really well too. Also, surprisingly, the assembled cake freezes well too. However I don't think I've ever done it without using the Whip It.

Oh, and one more thing. I made a tux cake a few weeks ago for a birthday and put sprinkles on the top. (The little round disc kind, not the skinny ones like on the top of a doughnut.) It was really pretty cute and surprisingly didn't change the taste/texture!

Emilie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:02 am 

Thanks both of you. The layers are in the freezer. I made 2 8 " and the rest into cupcakes. I need to go buy the stabilizer, it was on my mental list but did not make it to the physical one. I am going to put some white chocolate shavings on this one and found a deer candle... birthday cake for a hunter.
First I have to make my stuffing. I am following Kenji's directions to do adapt it for the crockpot. Fingers crossed.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:55 am 

marygott wrote:
a deer candle... birthday cake for a hunter

So no sprinkles? :lol:

Good luck with everything, Mary!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:09 am 

I stabilize my own whipped cream - a trick I learned in one of Maida Heatter's books many years ago.

1/2 tsp unflavored gelatine dissolved in 1Tbsp warm water, then cooled to room temp.
Add to 1 cup of cream, and flavor, sweeten & whip as you normally would.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:05 am 

I did remember to take a photo! I grated some white chocolate over it. The whipped cream held up well. I think the recipe with gelatin would be more stable as the packaged one I bought was based on corn starch. I will try that next time!

As I only used 2 layers (only, hah, this cake was still huge) I had tons of whipped cream left over. I piped it onto parchment paper and froze them. I plan to use them for hot drink and dessert topping.

Mary

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:28 pm 

Does your recipe use Lyle's golden syrup? I could just drizzle that stuff right into the ol' pie hole.

Karen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:21 pm 

It does but I used corn syrup because I didn't have to go hunt for it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:31 pm 

Jaxallie wrote:
Does your recipe use Lyle's golden syrup? I could just drizzle that stuff right into the ol' pie hole.

Karen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:52 am 

That cake is beautiful, Mary. Bravo! And I'm glad to know that freezing some dollops of cream works. My MIL gave me a page from a woman's mag recently with that tip on it, but I was a tad bit suspicious of the source :). And thanks for that recipe for stabilizer, Silver Sage. Whip-It is fortunately readily available in my area but the price has been going up so I'd be glad to have an alternative.

And Karen, I put Lyle's in every ganache I make, regardless of what it's going on! In fact they probably think I'm a hoarder at Fresh Market. They put it on sale for $3.99 every once in a while and I buy like 8 at a time!

Emilie