Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foolproof Oatmeal Milk Chocolate Raisin Cookies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 am 

I made Kate Zuckerman's Oatmeal Golden Raisin and Milk Chocolate Cookies. I was skeptical thinking that the milk chocolate would make them too sweet, but they were great. I could not find the golden raisins I thought I had so used some old Cheri Raisins from KAF. The cookies were great, after the batter being only 2 hours in the fridge, the edges were crispy caramely and the center soft. They are very thin, but all the components come through.

I had put the butter and eggs for both these and the Thin Crispy and Chewy Chocolate Chips ones (oatmeal for DH , choco chip for me) out to warm. However, I had a brain freeze and only put out 8 oz. of butter instead of 16 (got the eggs right). I made the Oatmeal first and put the batter in the fridge. When I started adding the butter for the cc ones, I realize I was missing a stick and that I'd missed one in the oatmeal as well. I quickly put another stick in the microwave, softened it, and proceeded with the cc batter. It is in the fridge now, will try the first batch tomorrow.

I decided I had nothing to lose so I put the oatmeal dough back in the mixer bowl where I'd just removed the cc ones, ran it for a minute, then melted a stick of butter and drizzled it onto the dough right out of the microwave with the mixer running. I figured the dough was cold enough from the fridge, so the melted butter was not going to cook anything. Made sure it was incorporated. Put dough back in the fridge. It worked!!!!

I had also experimented and used coconut flour for ¼ cup of the 1¼ cups AP flour. I figure since I use x-large eggs instead of large, that would give me the extra moisture. All in all, these are keepers. Have some more batter in the fridge, will see if an extra day makes a difference.

Anyway, thought I'd share a good experience. Next time I might try cranberries and white chocolate on half the batch and maybe coconut oil for half the butter. Let me know if you'd like the recipe.