Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What to use when recipes call for a cake mix
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:59 am 

While I clearly recall at least two occasions where a CC "value added" recipe called for a store bought pound cake, the Great American Cake page frequently calls for baked rounds or batter from white, yellow, chocolate, or spice cakes and includes instructions for which CI\CC cake recipe to retrieve free from web site.

Lemon Lovers Cake and Chocolate Turtle Cake are highly recommended even though it is a royal PIA to take the wrappers off a whole pound of soft caramel candies. :shock: May have to make the caramel from scratch next time.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:25 am 

Thanks Jim, I remember that turtle recipe and thinking the same thing about the wrappers. On the Lemon Lover's Cake, when you click on the related recipe for the yellow cake, the link takes you to a taste test of cake mixes. I have a couple of good yellow cakes recipes, (CI's lemon bundt cake is a favorite as is Ina's) so I wanted to check the method and proportions they were using.

BTW, I have been really happy with KAF's lemon powder.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:48 am 

Cubangirl wrote:
Thanks Jim, I remember that turtle recipe and thinking the same thing about the wrappers. On the Lemon Lover's Cake, when you click on the related recipe for the yellow cake, the link takes you to a taste test of cake mixes. I have a couple of good yellow cakes recipes, (CI's lemon bundt cake is a favorite as is Ina's) so I wanted to check the method and proportions they were using.

BTW, I have been really happy with KAF's lemon powder.

Might be a link mistake. Usually, they've linked to the actual recipe or CC's yellow cake mix recipe. On the other hand, they may just not want to be giving out the recipe for free. It really annoys me when I go to make one of those cakes and they've changed the link to a cake or frosting that is different than the one they were linking to a few years ago, but they'll do that especially if the original link was to a CI recipe.

I love that lemon buttermilk sheet cake. It freezes really well, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:07 am 

Probably not a mistake-just ineptitude caused by the lack of continuity editors at Cook's Country during their last site update. Back in 2007, the related recipe link led to CI's Yellow layer cake recipe that was duplicated on the CC site. There is still a printed copy of it in our magazine from the first time we made it.

Fast Forward to 2011 and CC develops a new Chocolate Layer Cake with even more butter than the ancient CI recipe. It can't possible be linked to a 2007 recipe because it was not born yet?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 am 

Jesbelle, the texture of the lemon buttermilk cake was really weird. Before I put it in the fridge, it was almost like cotton candy. It tasted moist and lemony, but it reminded me of cotton candy, gone in a second. Putting it in the fridge made it more like a cake. I changed the glaze a bit and it is really good. Going to use that as my lemon glaze from now on especially on my lemon ricotta cookies.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:25 am 

Cubangirl wrote:
Jesbelle, the texture of the lemon buttermilk cake was really weird. Before I put it in the fridge, it was almost like cotton candy. It tasted moist and lemony, but it reminded me of cotton candy, gone in a second. Putting it in the fridge made it more like a cake. I changed the glaze a bit and it is really good. Going to use that as my lemon glaze from now on especially on my lemon ricotta cookies.

The texture is odd, but I like it, both before and after cold storage.