Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muffin Recipe
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:16 am 

Anytime Muffins

Low-fat yogurt can be used if the muffins will be baked right away. I like to add about ½ teaspoon vanilla to some variations. Add it with the eggs.

3 cups (15 oz.) all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 ¼ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (7 oz.) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups plain whole-milk yogurt

1. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with vegetable oil spray; set aside. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.

2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

3. Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and beat in half the flour mixture, followed by one-third of the yogurt. Beat in half of the remaining flour mixture, followed by half of the remaining yogurt; repeat with the remaining flour mixture and yogurt. Portion the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin.

To Store:

1. Wrap the muffin tin tightly with plastic wrap sprayed with vegetable oil spray and refrigerate for up to 24 hours or freeze for up to one month. (After the muffin batter is completely frozen, about 6 hours, the batter lumps can be transferred to a zipper-lock bag to save space in the freezer. Transfer the batter lumps back to an oiled muffin tin before baking.)

To Serve:

1. Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 375°. Unwrap the muffins and bake until golden brown. 25 to 30 minutes if refrigerated, or 35 to 40 minutes if frozen. Let the muffins cool in the pan 5 minutes before serving.

To Serve Right Away:

1. Preheat the oven during step one. Bake the muffins for 25 to 30 minutes.

Servings: 12
Yield: 12-14 muffins

Tips
Blueberry or Lemon-Blueberry Muffins: Toss 2 cups fresh blueberries with 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour. Gently fold the blueberries into the finished batter in step 3. For lemon-blueberry muffins, add 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel to the butter-sugar mixture in step 2 as well. If using frozen blueberries, rinse the blueberries well and dry them before adding. They do not need to be floured. If baking right away, be sure to thaw the blueberries or they may make the batter too cold and it will cook too slowly. Top with cinnamon-sugar, if desired.

Apricot- Almond Muffins: Cream 1 ounce almond paste with the butter and sugar OR add ½ teaspoon almond extract with the eggs in step 2. Stir 1 cup finely diced dried apricots into the finished batter in step 3. Top with sliced almonds, if desired.

Cranberry-Orange (-Nut) Muffins: Add 1 teaspoon grated orange zest to the sugar-butter mixture in step 2. Stir 1 ½ cups of coarsely chopped fresh (or thawed frozen) cranberries (along with ¾ cup toasted pecans or walnuts, if desired) into the finished batter in step 3.

Banana-Pecan (or Walnut) Muffins: Add ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg to the flour in step 1. Substitute 1 cup (7 oz.) light brown sugar for the granulated sugar in step 2. Stir 1 ½ cups finely diced bananas and ¾ cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts into the finished batter in step 3.

Mocha Chip Muffins: Dissolve 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder into the yogurt. Fold 1 cup chocolate chips into the finished batter in step 3.

Raspberry-Almond Muffins: Cream 1 ounce almond paste with the butter and sugar OR add ½ teaspoon almond extract with the eggs in step 2. Spoon one-half portion batter into each muffin cup. With small spoon, make well in center of each cup of batter. Spoon 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon raspberry (or any flavor) jam into each well. Fill with remaining batter. Top with sliced almonds, if desired.

Lemon-Poppyseed Muffins: Add 3 tablespoons poppy seeds to the flour mixture in step 1. Add 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest to the butter-sugar mixture in step 2. While the muffins are baking, heat ¼ cup granulated sugar and ¼ cup lemon juice in small saucepan until sugar dissolves and mixture forms a light syrup, 3 to 4 minutes. Brush warm syrup over warm muffins and serve.

Almond-Cherry Muffins [my own variation]: Cream 1 ounce almond paste with the butter and sugar OR add ½ teaspoon almond extract with the eggs in step 2. Gently fold 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped sweet cherries (the pale yellow kind don't turn the batter weird colors) into the finished batter in step 3.

Author: Pam Anderson with Karen Tack
Source: Cook's Illustrated January/February 1997 and The Best Make-Ahead Recipe

Post subject: Re: Muffin Recipe
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:15 pm 

thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:51 pm 

I should add that the variations without many bulky add-ins make 12 muffins, but the ones with lots of fruit make 14.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:38 pm 

Speaking of the BMA, I love the coffee cake recipe, especially the Overnight Apricot Orange Sour Cream Coffee Cake one. It freezes beautifully. There is a Lemon Blueberry one as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:21 pm 

I keep meaning to make that coffee cake. I'll have to try it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:44 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:58 am 

JesBelle wrote:
Anytime Muffins

Low-fat yogurt can be used if the muffins will be baked right away.
snip

Out of curiosity, how is whole yogurt labelled in the US? We label all ours by %, I have 1% plain in the fridge but am guessing that is low fat. Am planning to make these in a couple of weeks for the camp-out (thanks Jesbelle for the reminder, these are perfect) but want to be sure I buy the right yogurt.

cheers

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:10 am 

From the recipe: 'This is a basic master muffin recipe that is fairly plain, so we recommend adding other flavorings or fruit (see related variations). This recipe can easily be halved and doubled, if desired. If doubling the recipe, mix the batter in a large bowl and take care to evenly incorporate the flavorings. We prefer whole milk yogurt, although the recipe will work with low-fat or nonfat. When storing the batter overnight in the refrigerator, you can either put it in an airtight container or, if you have space, in a muffin tin covered with greased plastic wrap. We then made a batch of muffin batter, scooped it into a muffin tin, and placed the tin in the freezer, covering it lightly with plastic wrap. As soon as the batter was frozen, we tipped the “batter balls” out of the pan and stored them in zipper-lock bags in the freezer. Much to our delight, returned to their tins and baked (directly from the freezer), the muffins baked up every bit as good as fresh, requiring only an additional five minutes in the oven.'

I have routinely swapped yogurt in recipes with little problems. I even swap Greek for regular most of the time since I don't care for regular so never have any on hand.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 am 

Whole milk yogurt is not easy to find. The highest fat yogurt I found during a quick search of Wegmans web site is Dannon All Natural Yogurt, Plain with a total of 8 grams of fat per cup. Most other yogurts had lowfat or nonfat in the description including most of the American made Greek style yogurts. It appears that milk fat is too valuable a commodity to put it in yogurt.

Edited to to fix grams per cup and to add: Every whole milk yogurt I have found other than Dannon are labeled "Whole Milk", all are available in 32 oz. containers and all have about 8 grams of fat per cup
[3.2%]

Last edited by jim262 on Mon May 13, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 am 

jeanf wrote:
Out of curiosity, how is whole yogurt labelled in the US? We label all ours by %, I have 1% plain in the fridge but am guessing that is low fat. Am planning to make these in a couple of weeks for the camp-out (thanks Jesbelle for the reminder, these are perfect) but want to be sure I buy the right yogurt.

cheers

Yes, 1% would be low-fat. Since whole milk generally clocks in at 4% milkfat, that's what I would look for in a whole-milk yogurt.