Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Retarding rising just a bit....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:51 pm 

I've been making the Bouchon Bakery batards for a few weeks now, basically 2 loaves a week, sometimes twice a week. I'm getting better at it. However, I want to double the batch, but don't think I can fit 4 loaves on my stone. So, 2 at a time it is. The question is, now what would be the best approach here for holding back the other loaves? This is a mix, 3-hour ferment, 1-hour proof recipe. I need to either let 2 loaves proof for about 1.5 hours, or stretch 1/2 the dough 1/2 - 1 hr longer during the ferment.

Ideas on how to best achieve this? I know fridge time can really help, but not sure where/how long I should be doing it. The proof is a little tricky since they are batards, so disturbing them disturbs the shape.

Help is appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Retarding rising just a bit....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:28 pm 

Cut the dough in half after the first ferment. Shape one set of loaves. Put the other dough in the fridge. When the first set are proofed shape the other set. Ideally you want to shape the second set so that when the first set is done, the second is ready to hit the hot stone.
If they proof for an hour and bake for 30 minutes, you would start the second set 30 minutes after you shape the first set. That way, when the first set is proofed the second will need the 30 minutes of baking time to finish proofing.
I hope that isn't too confusing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:33 am 

During heating season, keeping two loaves at room temperature while two are proofing in my 80º\27º microwave is usually all I need for a 30-40 minute delay for 450 gram batards.

During warmer weather, you may need to give half the dough longer bulk ferment before shaping, but I also do this at room temperature instead of the fridge.

Four loaves also gives you opportunity for twice baked loaves [or half baked loaves depending on your point of view]. Remove the first set of loaves from the oven when they have set, but have not browned [20 min.], freeze them and bake a second time when fresh bread is needed. This can be accomplished sequentially, or with two loaves on the stone in the top of the oven and the two to be frozen in the middle of the oven on a sheet pan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:02 am 

I agree with Becky - simply rise the second half longer - but remember, each successive rise will be faster. So maybe shape the loaves 10 min. later - it would be better to wait a few min. for the rise to finish after removing the first loaves, than to have them over-risen. I wouldn't want to heat up one half to rise faster since I learned early on that warmed, fast risen yeast dough does not have the flavor of slower risen dough, though when I started baking, we were all told to do this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:21 pm 

I'd mix them separately and an hour apart.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:14 pm 

Some good ideas here. It is slightly complicated by me owning only one couche, so overlapping the final proof would probably create problems. I'll contemplate getting another (actually, getting one decent one would be a good start...), but maybe stagger them by a full hour the first time so prevent overlap in the proof. So a variation of becky's theme. Todays batch is a 2-loaf set, but I'll do 4 on the next one!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:02 am 

I've continued on my 2-4 batard loaves a week, haven't cranked it up to 4 loaves at time yet till I'm happy with the result. Well, closer :) I've changed flour twice: Once, when I ran out of KA AP flour (and I can't buy it locally), so I switched to a Canadian flour. That flour was quite a bit higher in protein, used noticeably more water, and produced a chewier crumb (for the same mixing level). Out of interest, I've now switched to Harvest King, which is the one Bouchon Bakery uses. The water in the recipe is, not surprisingly, dead on for that flour and the crumb is noticeably 'softer'. It is very different to work with then the canadian flour, and gives excellent flavor.

I've been getting a few too many large bubbles. Punch down a little more aggressively? Also, I'd like the harvest king to have a *little* more chew (not much). Knead a little longer? Slightly drier?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:26 pm 

I am not familiar with the recipe in question, but assuming that there are no forbidden ingredients like fat and sugar, I would change the hydration by 10% to see what happens to the crumb while all else remains the same. If current hydration is below 55%, I would adjust it to 65%. If it is already at 65% or more, I would see what happens at 55%. The hydration can then be fine tuned.

More kneading for more chew will only work if the current kneading scenario does not fully develops gluten. It is worth testing. It is also worth playing with some vital wheat gluten or a custom blend of the flour you are currently using and Canadian flour to increase the gluten forming potential of the mix.

While you are in test mode, try completely degassing the bread with a rolling pin. Keeping a log or a journal, complete with photos can be helpful.