Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade Oreo Cookies-Bouchon Bakery Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:00 pm 

So as to not completely hijack that thread,
Emilie
"Good memory, Nancy. (Unlike me, since I'd forgotten all about that one.) Something tells me that filling wasn't my favorite, though. I really need to do a better job of making notes about recipes I've tried and how they compare to others that are similar and what I like or don't like. " Suggest you try Living Cookbook. All the info below come from my notes there.

I have this written on my fake oreo recipe:
"You can cheat and simply scoop the dough and drop it by using a small cookie scoop (#60, which is 2 tsp) and drop them on a cookie tray- 12 per tray. Then flatten them with the bottom of a glass dusted with flour until they are 1/4". Super duper easy, and IMHO much easier than dealing with making logs in parchment."

Does that sound like something you'd have written? It was copied from tobb with a link to it(but no name), I also have abooja's version which was a combo of the KAF cookies and Smitten Kitchen filling (which also uses shortening). I made those but misread the recipe and made hokey pucks. I recall I was not crazy about the filling.

I think you may have posted the Chang recipe as a response to my filling comments?

Btw, I tried the link to tobb, out of habit, and got the new ATK bulletin board, I did not know a new one existed.

Jean, does Icing sugar in a Canadian recipe mean the white stuff with cornstarch? I hate using that stuff. I just bought some KAF glazing sugar that does not have the starch in it. Have not used it, but maybe I'll like it better.

How about using Chang's. Crispy Magic Icing as a filling? I loved that one and think it might be made to the right consistency.

Post subject: Re: Homemade Oreo Cookies-Bouchon Bakery Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 pm 

Alina, yes, it's powdered sugar, in Canada known as icing sugar. It's not overly sweet in this recipe though from what I remember.
I've toyed with the idea of using a boiled icing but I think that's more of a whoopie pie filling versus an oreo filling. I need to google the crispy magic icing now. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 am 

One of my favorite icings along with CI's Whipped and Cream Cheese frosting. Here's the recipe:
EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

CRISPY MAGIC FROSTING***** Fantastic, stays soft, but not runny, not too sweet.

Recipe makes more than is needed for 12 cupcakes. Store the remainder in refrigerator for 2 weeks or freeze.

Servings: 8 Yield: about 3½ cups

Preparation Time: 24 minutes Cooking Time: 6 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes

140 g. granulated sugar 2/3 cup
2 extra large egg whites (60 grams)
12 oz. unsalted butter (3 sticks) at room temperature, cut into 2-inch chunks
230 g. confectioners' sugar (1 2/3 cup)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 TBS. milk
1 TBS. vanilla extract

While the cupcakes are cooling, in a small heatproof bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and egg whites to make a thick slurry. Place the bowl over (not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat, whisking occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture is hot to the touch. It will thin out a bit as the sugar melts.

Remove from the heat and scrape the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment (or use a hand-held mixer). Whip on medium-high speed for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture becomes a light, white meringue and is cool to the touch. Turn down the speed to medium, add the butter, a few chunks at a time, and beat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the butter is thoroughly incorporated. Add the confectioners' sugar, salt, milk, and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed until the mixture is smooth and satiny. You should have about 3½ cups. (Use immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 3 days, then beat with the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for a few minutes until smooth before using. Or, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, then bring to room temperature and paddle for a few minutes until smooth before using.)

Remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin. Fit a pastry bag with a small round or star tip and fill the bag with the frosting, then pipe the frosting onto cupcakes. Or, spread the frosting on the cupcakes with an icing spatula.

The cupcakes taste best on the day they are baked, but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Recipe Type: Desserts, Eggs, Flour Bakery Cookbook, Frosting and Icings, Joanne Chang

Author: Joanne Chang
Source: FLOUR: SPECTACULAR RECIPES FROM BOSTON’S FLOUR BAKERY + CAFE
Web Page: http://www.projectfoodie.com/spotlights ... child.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 am 

Alina - Would you post the CI BB link, please? :)
- Wild Bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:03 am 

I think the old link was http://www.cooksillustrated.com/ibb. If you go there now you get redirected to https://www.facebook.com/americastestkitchen/app_202980683107053 which seems to be a forum page that any Facebook group/company can enable. Seems more like a way to keep the old link going somewhere than an attempt to resurrect the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:54 am 

Quote:
I have this written on my fake oreo recipe:
"You can cheat and simply scoop the dough and drop it by using a small cookie scoop (#60, which is 2 tsp) and drop them on a cookie tray- 12 per tray. Then flatten them with the bottom of a glass dusted with flour until they are 1/4". Super duper easy, and IMHO much easier than dealing with making logs in parchment."

I don't think that was me, Alina -- I remember making the log with parchment. And actually I did buy MacGourmet last year sometime, with the intention of getting all my recipes and notes into it. But the learning curve derailed me temporarily and here I am months later and it's just a pretty little icon in my dock. (There was a regular poster on TOBB who had also just bought it and was going to try and learn it too -- I'm thinking her name was Mary but I can't remember for sure.)

Also, as an aside, I had two extra discs of that chocolate dough in the freezer from last week, and needed a chocolate cookie crust for a tart on Saturday. So I baked a batch of cookies from it and used those for the base rather than graham crackers. It was a delicious crust (and the tart was super easy and really outstanding, if anyone's interested.)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Glazed-Chocolate-Tart-243610

Emilie

p.s. That crispy magic icing is indeed terrific. I get frequent requests for those cupcakes but make them rarely because I can't eat just one :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 pm 

Wasn't me either. :? I made the logs. I'll check when I get the chance and post the filling recipe. I'm thinking that it is very close to the crispy frosting. I'm with you Emilie, about the cupcake (or other baked goods thing)...hard to have self control. sigh...
Nancy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 pm 

FYI Here's a link with the Joanne Chang recipe including the filling: http://www.bakerella.com/homemade-oreos/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:40 pm 

That recipe looks really good! I copied it, and bookmarked the link. I like the icebox method (most of my cookies are made this way), and that filling looks like some I've used before, that was perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 pm 

I really liked this recipe (and cookie :mrgreen: ). They are really large and so I ended up cutting them into quarters after putting them all together (which didn't keep me from eating the whole thing anyway :shock: ).