Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My latest bread baking venture...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:48 am 

This is actually a recipe I tried years ago - Thom Leonard's Country French, from Artisan Baking Across America, by Maggie Glezer. It uses a solid Levain starter, and all the breads I tried from that book that used that came out really good - none overly sour, just enough to know that it was a sourdough. I looked at these recipes again, since I got that proofer; though they all call for room temp., I used the times and temps from Classic Sourdoughs, but this recipe. I chose this one because of the method of sifting much of the bran out of the WW flour - approx. 15% by weight. The article posted by Jim a while back got me thinking about these recipes that sift a bunch of the bran out, and, though not 100% WW, they have some, and are delicious.

I had trouble with the bannetons before - even sort of dry doughs would stick to them, no matter how much I floured it. I saw a tip in a few places since then: use rice flour - something I am never out of! So I did it, and it stuck very briefly, just enough to make me think it didn't work, then it came right out. THAT'S when I should have slashed it, but I guess I was so happy the loaf didn't stick, I wasn't thinking right. LOL

Here is the 42 oz loaf of sourdough, risen in a banneton, and baked on a stone. As you can see, it rose irregularly, because I forgot to slash it 4 times before putting it in the oven. I'll let you know how it tastes later - too late to wait for it to cool!

Update: Absolutely delicious! I had to cut into it before I did anything else this morning. Like before, the sour is not like SF sourdough, but enough to know that you are eating sourdough, and the method of sifting out the bran definitely helps the flavor. I just have to use the bran in something else!

Last edited by pepperhead212 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My latest bread baking venture...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 am 

Dave,

I love that book, and that's a recipe I've been meaning to try for a while. I don't have a sourdough starter currently, so I guess I know what I'm starting this week.

What flours did you use?

Amy

P.S. Have you ever made Thom Leonard's Kalamata Olive Bread? If you haven't, I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:30 pm 

Amy,

I have tried many olive bread recipes, and that is my favorite, bar none! And the recipe I used to test that new flour is from there - Acme's Rustic Baguettes - and I have made that countless times, as it is my favorite method of making French bread, combining the poolish and pate fermentee.

I didn't use that new flour in the bread - I wasn't sure if it had enough gluten to keep the boule from flattening out - but next time I'll use it, and find out. The whole grain flours I used I get at the local Amish market, and I think they have switched over to the white whole wheat, as it used to be much darker. I weighed the flour before and after the sifting through a fine sieve, and it ended up being 84.4% of the original weight, which is very close to the 85% extraction I have read about being used in some of those breads. The bread flour was the KAF.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:13 pm 

That's beautiful Dave!
Nancy