Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Callebaut Chocolate
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:30 pm 

Does anyone know the origin of this chocolate? Is it a Belgium chocolate? Thanks so much.

Lu

Post subject: Re: Callebaut Chocolate
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:44 pm 

It is Belgian. Although they are now a mega chocolate company and also own Cacao Barry.

I like Callebaut very much. Very good chocolate for a very reasonable price.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:17 pm 

Mahalo Amy, I had a feeling you would know. Surprisingly the 60% Cacao Pistoles are pretty inexpensive here...$55 for 11 lbs...it's double the price online. We have a great restaurant supply company that sells to the public. Yay!

Lu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:24 pm 

Go for it...and send me some! That's a great price.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 pm 

from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callebaut

Callebaut was a Belgian company and a major producer of chocolate for consumers and for professional chocolatiers. As of 1996 it is a part of the Swiss company Barry Callebaut. Callebaut is now one of the major brands of the combined company. The company was founded by Eugenius Callebaut as a brewery in Wieze, Belgium, in 1850, and began producing chocolate bars in 1911 and chocolate couverture in 1925. [1]In 1996, Callebaut merged with rival chocolatier Cacao Barry to form a new company, formally known as Barry Callebaut, with headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland, although Callebaut retained its offices in Belgium. In 2005 Barry Callebaut was noted as "the world's biggest chocolatier."[2]

A separate company in Canada, Bernard Callebaut, was started by a Belgian of the same name. He lost ownership and operates as Papa Chocolat out of Calgary, Alberta. http://papachocolat.ca/ I studied chocolate making with him for one day as we were considering to buy a franchise. It is the best chocolate we have ever had anywhere. The new owners of the oricginal still use his formulas and it remains excellent chocolate. There is one store in Lake Oswego, Oregon. They will ship anywhere in USA.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm 

wino wrote:
from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callebaut

Callebaut was a Belgian company and a major producer of chocolate for consumers and for professional chocolatiers. As of 1996 it is a part of the Swiss company Barry Callebaut. Callebaut is now one of the major brands of the combined company. The company was founded by Eugenius Callebaut as a brewery in Wieze, Belgium, in 1850, and began producing chocolate bars in 1911 and chocolate couverture in 1925. [1]In 1996, Callebaut merged with rival chocolatier Cacao Barry to form a new company, formally known as Barry Callebaut, with headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland, although Callebaut retained its offices in Belgium. In 2005 Barry Callebaut was noted as "the world's biggest chocolatier."[2]

A separate company in Canada, Bernard Callebaut, was started by a Belgian of the same name. He lost ownership and operates as Papa Chocolat out of Calgary, Alberta. http://papachocolat.ca/ I studied chocolate making with him for one day as we were considering to buy a franchise. It is the best chocolate we have ever had anywhere. The new owners of the oricginal still use his formulas and it remains excellent chocolate. There is one store in Lake Oswego, Oregon. They will ship anywhere in USA.

I was at the Oakville store once. Best.truffle.ever. (although I've never had Amy's which I'm sure are better)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:39 pm 

Callebaut is the chocolate I use the most, mainly because it is delicious, but it is also the cheapest, by far, when I buy 5 kg blocks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:23 pm 

It's the chocolate used by Bob Piron of Piron Belgian Chocolates, which some of you have visited. I get my bricks from restaurant depot, which, alas is not open to the public. But if anyone in Chicago needs a visit, we can work something out!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

It's certainly one of the better chocolates to cook with.

In the Bay Area, we're spoiled for choice (Giradelli, Guittard, Sharfenberger, etc.) and Kris often gets Callebaut anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 am 

I also like Callebaut, but use guittard a lot too.