Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shortbread or Sugar Cookie recipe for Cut-outs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:20 pm 

I am wondering if someone can explain to me the (dis)/advantages of using a shortbread recipe (butter, sugar, flour) versus a sugar cookie recipe (shortbread plus baking powder and egg) for making cutout cookies. I would like my cookies to hold their shapes well (and of course taste good).
Thanks.
Amy

Post subject: Re: Shortbread or Sugar Cookie recipe for Cut-outs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 pm 

I'm making cut-out cookies with shortbread becausse I like it better. Using Ina's recipe. I think they hold up a little better, too

fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:26 pm 

Thanks, Fitzie. That's what I was planning to do. I've made Ina's before with good results and also Alton Brown's sugar cookie recipe. I wish I had paid more attention to how each held it's shape. Amy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:22 pm 

I have been using CI's butter cookie recipe for cutout cookies for a very long time. The cookies hold their edge shape very well and bake up flat and flavorful.

Butter Cookie Dough adapted from Cook's Illustrated

2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (12 1/2 ounces)
3/4 cup superfine sugar (5 1/2 ounces) (see note)
1/4 teaspoon table salt
16 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 sticks), cut into sixteen 1/2-inch pieces, at cool room temperature (about 65 degrees)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature

Glaze
1 tablespoon cream cheese, at room temperature
3 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (6 ounces)

Instructions

1. FOR THE COOKIES: In bowl of standing mixer fitted with flat beater, mix flour, sugar, and salt on low speed until combined, about 5 seconds. With mixer running on low, add butter 1 piece at a time; continue to mix until mixture looks crumbly and slightly wet, about 1 minute longer. Add vanilla and cream cheese and mix on low until dough just begins to form large clumps, about 30 seconds.

2. Remove bowl from mixer; knead dough by hand in bowl for 2 to 3 turns to form large cohesive mass. Turn out dough onto countertop; divide in half, pat into two 4-inch disks, wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate until they begin to firm up, 20 to 30 minutes. (Can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 2 weeks; defrost in refrigerator before using.)

3. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out 1 dough disk to even 1/8-inch thickness between 2 large sheets parchment paper; slide rolled dough on parchment onto baking sheet and chill until firm, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, repeat with second disk.

4. Working with first portion of rolled dough, cut into desired shapes using cookie cutter(s) and place shapes on parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing them about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until light golden brown, about 10 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking time. Repeat with second portion of rolled dough. (Dough scraps can be patted together, chilled, and re-rolled once.) Cool cookies on wire rack to room temperature.

5. FOR THE GLAZE: Whisk cream cheese and 2 tablespoons milk in medium bowl until combined and no lumps remain. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth, adding remaining milk as needed until glaze is thin enough to spread easily. Drizzle or spread scant teaspoon glaze with back of spoon onto each cooled cookie, as desired.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:40 pm 

Thanks. That reminds me that that's another one I've tried. I was once on a kick to find the best of these recipes, but never reached a conclusion. My family claimed they disliked the cream cheese taste in this one. In the interim here, I made a double batch of Ina's shortbread dough. I'll be baking them off later this week and dipping in chocolate. A new thing I learned is that doubling this recipe to 7 cups of flour pushed the limits of my 6 qt KA mixer. Power was fine, but it was hard to keep everything in the bowl.

Amy