Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What a roll
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:08 pm 

For better or worse, I never buy prepared biscuits, rolls or bread for dinner since I really started enjoying making a variety of breads a few years ago. (Sadly, my family thinks it's often for the worse, since I refuse to buy their favorite Pillsbury crescent rolls for anything other than appetizers. But then again, DH loves Jello Chocolate Pudding. So there's just no accounting for taste.)

Anyhow, because I especially love homemade rolls, I frequently try new recipes. You'd think that they wouldn't really be that different, since most incorporate the same or similar few ingredients. And they're usually not. But I was still in search of the ultimate soft, light roll that has good oven spring, doesn't get too crisp around the edges, comes apart easily, is soft the next day, rises well after being shaped, frozen, and later thawed, etc. (Nothing like high expectations there.)

Well I found the holy grail yesterday! The recipe is from FC and they're simply called "Classic Dinner Rolls." I think the difference is it has egg yolks in it, which I don't recall in any of the other recipes, at least not recently. Anyway, everyone in my household agrees that they are THE best we've ever had. Just figured I'd mention it in case there's anyone else who's as addicted as I am to seriously delicious carbs:)

Emilie

Post subject: Re: What a roll
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:56 pm 

Thanks Emilie, unlike bread which I like at least a bit crusty, I love soft rolls (Hawaiian rolls are one of my faves). I have not tried to bake rolls in years, easier to do loaves. I used to do Bisquik biscuits a lot when the kids were little and did try once a few years ago to make the Red Lobster rolls (they were barely ok, nothing like the original). These look perfect. I've copied the recipe along with the shaping instructions and pictures to Living Cookbook. I will be at DD for Thanksgiving and my granddaughter would love these.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

FC? What's FC? Link?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:27 am 

Here you go Classic Dinner Rolls. If you can't view the recipe, I'll be happy to post it. FC is Fine Cooking.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:05 am 

My friend Susan always makes these for Thanksgivinging. They are fantastic. I also made King Arthur Parkerhouse rolls once and we really liked thm too. I don't make bread that often as the bread here is fantastic and I am trying to cut down my carbs.

I get the husband thing. Mine does not see why I just don't buy the mashed potatoes in the box and wants me to buy the Ameican style hamburger rolls (which are like the worst you can buy there) instead of using some of the over excellent bakery rolls. Burger buns is on my list of things to make but I bet he will still say those nasty,prepackaged dust balls are better.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:11 pm 

Actually, Mary, I started making burger buns several months ago and everyone around here immediately appreciated the vast improvement over storebought. So there's hope!! (And I've made those KA Parkerhouse ones too, and they're really good. They were my favorite for a while but they do require more prep work than these, as far as shaping and cutting them.) I grabbed two of the rolls this morning for breakfast on the way out the door -- not exactly healthy, but they were still sooooo good:)

And sorry, Fuzzy, I thought FC was on the acronym list, and I'm never sure when it's okay to post a link to another recipe site. Thanks for taking care of that, Alina.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:51 pm 

Canadian Thanksgiving is a month away...I can already see these as being on the menu. Love that they can be made ahead and the instructions to do so are in the recipe.
thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 pm 

thank you for posting this. i shall try these for christmas! after many years of baking, i just started baking breads. in fact, upgraded my kitchenaid to a 6qt heavy duty for christmas. couldnt resist the deal at costco online! for thanksgiving my daugter and i made the CI Ultimate Dinner Rolls which were very good so it will be fun to try another recipe that someone else, who has tried many, thinks is a standout.
someday soon, i shall try the hamburger buns too! which is funny to think that 7 short years ago would have been completely laughable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 pm 

I love Fine Cooking recipes. Their fudge recipe is really good. Better than CI, imho.
Nancy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:45 am 

Emile,

Are these rolls really soft? I'm still looking for a really soft roll for pulled pork. And, I'm doing a smoke on Saturday.

Amy