Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What a roll
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:25 am 

Waiting for par-bake instructions as well...

Also, made three batches of these this weekend. First two failed due to old flour (who knew?) the last batch was really great!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:57 am 

Par-baking is baking until the dough has just set, but hasn't yet browned. It will completely depend upon the recipe, the scale of the rolls and your oven to know how long that will be. Basically follow your recipe up until the baking point. Then, put the rolls (or bread) in the oven and keep an eye on them/it. When they've risen and are JUST beginning to brown on the edges, poke the rolls/bread to see if it (for lack of a better phrase) feels squishy. If it feels firm enough, then pull it out of the oven, cool, wrap and freeze. You can bake from frozen, but you can also take out the number of rolls you want and put in the fridge (wrapped) to thaw the night before you finish baking. Then put them in the oven at the temp the recipe calls for. It will take a few minutes longer than the remaining bake time to finish.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:06 pm 

Amy wrote:
Par-baking is baking until the dough has just set, but hasn't yet browned. It will completely depend upon the recipe, the scale of the rolls and your oven to know how long that will be. Basically follow your recipe up until the baking point. Then, put the rolls (or bread) in the oven and keep an eye on them/it. When they've risen and are JUST beginning to brown on the edges, poke the rolls/bread to see if it (for lack of a better phrase) feels squishy. If it feels firm enough, then pull it out of the oven, cool, wrap and freeze. You can bake from frozen, but you can also take out the number of rolls you want and put in the fridge (wrapped) to thaw the night before you finish baking. Then put them in the oven at the temp the recipe calls for. It will take a few minutes longer than the remaining bake time to finish.

Amy

Thanks, Amy. I wasn't sure how long to bake them but this makes sense. You need the structure in place so they don't get gooey but GBD can wait for the final bake. I will probably try this out the weekend after Memorial Day.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:40 pm 

I've been meaning to try the FC recipe. I hate to sound stupid (even when true), but if they cook for 20 minutes at 375°F., a guesstimate as to when to touch would be helpful, otherwise I'd be opening the oven every couple of minutes to check. I've not made rolls in a long time. It is one of those things that sort of scare me, though I am sure that as with pasta, once I do it once, I'll get it. With bread, I use my thermapen to check temps and have been pretty successful. I assume one can't do that with soft rolls.

2nd dumb ?: when you return them to the oven, do you bake them for the time that was left, e.g. if they baked for 10 minutes, were frozen and then thawed, would you then plan to bake them for 10 + minutes?

I was thinking I could halve the recipe and bake them in an 8" square baking dish the first time to test my oven and get a sense of the timing.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:09 pm 

In round numbers, par-baked bread needs to bake for 2/3 to 3/4 of the stated time. It is essentially cooked to a stable state, but has some browning left to do. For twenty minute rolls, the magic number is 15 in my oven.

I do not thaw par-baked bread and bake it from frozen until done. Your eyes and nose will know. It may take as long as the original bake. Recipe temperature should work.

While twice baked bread may be indistinguishable from once baked when it comes out of the oven, its quality is fleeting and it stales more quickly than once baked bread. I bake enough for one meal and do not try to keep it overnight.

My favorite application for partially baked and frozen rolls is cloverleaf rolls that I bake and freeze in appropriate sized ramekins. Three one ounce balls of dough make for one generous roll. Works great in a toaster oven.

Since rolls cannot be hurried and do not like to be delayed, I par bake rolls to be used later the same day to assure fresh from the oven goodness.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:33 pm 

Alina,

As mentioned in my earlier post, it takes a little more time that the time left to finish baking. And, if going from frozen will take even more time.

I would couch Jim's statement about 2/3 to 3/4 of the time...it really depends on the recipe, and more specifically on the size of the product you're making...small rolls will need less time to set than large ones, or bread.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:39 pm 

Thanks Jim, I will copy the notes to the recipe. For me, I think baking then freezing will work best. I will freeze them in sets of 4. I'll know better what will work after I make them once. I might try this week. My Artisan in Five won't be ready till next week. We finally managed to cut our bread eating down to a couple of times a week, so while I love to bake, its better if I can put away some of it immediately.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:37 am 

I par-baked in a standard muffin tin two days ago and froze in the tin and put loose rolls in a ziplock.

Last evening I put desired quanity back in the muffin tins and finished. It worked very well.

I would like to try the cloverleaf route but question the three 1 oz segments, standard roll is about 2 oz and is about all a muffin tin can handle. I want to try it using the delayed method of putting rolls in the fridge after first rise and shaping tp see if I get a yeastier (is that a word?) flavor. I like this recipe.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:03 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
I par-baked in a standard muffin tin two days ago and froze in the tin and put loose rolls in a ziplock.
Last evening I put desired quanity back in the muffin tins and finished. It worked very well..

That is an interesting idea. Small rolls in mini muffin tins...

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:28 pm 

Hmmmm...mini muffin tin. Might be a little small...no?

I never really considered myself a "baker" but have really gotten into this bread, really have enjoyed making it. I used a roll on the counter method that Amy taught me in San Antonio to shape the rolls rather than how the recipe said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next