Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freezing cream, cottage and farmers cheese mix?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:43 pm 

We were down in LA for a cousin's graduation and stopped at a huge Whole Foods to buy real NE style farmers cheese. (On an aside, DS's girlfriend is from Wisconsin, and she'd never heard of farmers cheese.) Anyway I brought back a pound so I could make my blintz filling. However, I already have a large batch of blintzes in the freezer which I would like to use before making more.

My question is, can I make up the filling, the 3 cheeses, 1 raw egg, cinnamon and sugar, and just freeze it? It freezes well inside the blintzes. Any reason it might not by itself? My thought is that I'd make a batch, then foodsaver it until I was ready to make more blintzes. Alternatively, can I just freeze the package of Farmers cheese (Friendship brand)? TIA

Post subject: Re: Freezing cream, cottage and farmers cheese mix?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:05 pm 

I have made and frozen many blintzes over the years, both sautéed before freezing and "raw". It worked out just fine. Freeze them in layers with plastic wrap or parchment between them, or you will end up with blintz casserole, like it or not.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:17 am 

Thanks Becky, I have done so as well and have some in the freezer, with parchment in between. This time I wanted to freeze just the filling and make the actual blintzes later. I don't want to waste it, so I think I'll just try freezing the cheese and hope it thaws ok to use.

BTW, Ina did a baked blintz for a brunch the other day that looked really good. Basically put half the batter in, then the filling and the rest of the batter and bake. Didn't say whether the dish could be frozen like the individual ones can.

Some people like having pancakes for dinner, but this time of the year, I love blintzes with fresh strawberries.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:00 pm 

FWIW, I've frozen cream cheese for use in cheesecakes and it worked fine. i wouldn't have used it for a spread, but for baking/cooking it was fine.
I love blinzes but have never tried to make them. Can't think why not.
Any hints on agood recipe from you ladies?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:06 pm 

Hi Jean, this is recipe came from my first mother in law who made fantastic blintz and knishes. I've made minor adaptations (e.g. 1% instead of whole milk) and elaborated on the procedure as her recipe was bare bones. Times are mostly guesses as I've never timed it exactly. Hope you like them.
EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

CHEESE BLINTZES (ADAPTED)*****

Original called for 3 cups whole milk and large curd cottage cheese. I don't notice a difference with small curd.

Servings: 8 Yield: About 40

FOR THE BLINTZES:
6 Eggs
3 cup Cake flour
2¾ cup 1% Milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 TBS. Sugar
1½ tsp. Table salt
3 TBS. unsalted butter, divided
FOR THE FILLING:
1 Egg
1 lb. Cottage Cheese
1 lb. Farmer Cheese
8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1 TBS. Sugar
1 TBS. cinnamon
¼ cup Raisins (optional)

MAKE BLINTZ SHEETS:

In an 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup or other large bowl with spout, beat eggs with sugar and salt. Add all the flour and half the milk and whisk until well combined. Add the rest of the milk and whisk to combine well.

Place an 8" preferably non-stick pan on the stove, butter bottom when hot, then when butter bubbles pour batter, swirling pan to cover bottom. Tilt pan and let excess pour onto another measuring cup. Cook on first side until dry and starts to gently puff about 1 minute. Shake pan and if crepe slides on pan, then carefully use tongs or hands to flip and brown on other side, about 45 seconds. Gently lift and if dry slide onto plate. Continue making sheets until all the batter is gone always buttering pan in between. Then use the excess batter. These can be made ahead or cam be frozen, but fully defrost before adding filling.

MAKE FILLING:

Mix the 3 cheeses together until completely mixed. It is easier to do with clean hands, especially if cream cheese is not soft. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Add beaten egg and combine well. This can be made up to a day ahead.

FILL BLINTZES:

Mix it all together and put a full TBS. in the middle of each sheet. A #40 disher works well. Place filling in the toward the top of the bottom third, place sheet over filling, pushing back the filling and spreading a bit toward the sides. Then bring both sides of the sheet toward the center as if creating an envelope. Continue rolling until you have a neat rectangle. Place filled blintzes on a parchment covered sheet pan. Once all are filled they can be cooked immediately or frozen (use parchment to separate layers) for future use. Bring frozen ones to room temperature before cooking.

COOK BLINTZES:

To cook, heat non-stick pan, then melt butter in center and swirl to cover bottom and add first batch to be cooked. Cook seam side first, then turn, about 3 to 5 minutes total. Transfer blintzes to plate and keep warm. Butter if necessary before adding next batch to pan.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes Total Time: 2 hours

Author: from Grandma Helen Abramson

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Breakfast and Brunch Foods, Cheese, Cream cheese, Desserts, Fillings, Jewish Food, Make-Ahead, Pastry Doughs and Other Batters