Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Graham crackers
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 pm 

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a good graham cracker recipe. Everything I've tried so far has not been sweet enough. :?
Thanks
Nancy

Post subject: Re: Graham crackers
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:59 pm 

Nancy, have you tried the one on Smitten Kitchen? I made those once and thought they were good. Can't remember anything particular about the level of sweetness, though.

Emilie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:34 pm 

These are really good - from Alton Brown. (I used honey instead of molasses). I like the fact that the recipe calls for graham flour, not whole wheat flour. Graham flour is more coarsely ground than whole wheat flour.
From desertculinary:
"While basically whole wheat flour, what makes this flour different is that the parts of the wheat kernel, the bran, germ, and endosperm, are actually ground separately, rather than in one fell swoop for a more coarse texture."
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html
Also posted here with photos:
http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2009 ... ckers.html

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:50 am 

I use the Alton Brown recipe, too, and I also swap out molasses for honey. They are addictive. Hodgson Mills makes a very good graham flour that is pretty widely available.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:05 am 

Hmmm, I must be the only person who didn't like the Alton Brown recipe. Maybe I need to revisit it. I found them to have an unpleasant texture (not crispy enough), and didn't care for the flavor. But I didn't use honey; I used the molasses. Also, I used Bob's Red Mill graham flour.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:13 pm 

JesBelle wrote:
I use the Alton Brown recipe, too, and I also swap out molasses for honey. They are addictive. Hodgson Mills makes a very good graham flour that is pretty widely available.

Hodgson Mills is the one I used also. The only problem I had with the graham crackers, as I would have had with any graham crackers, was to roll them out thin enough. It was hard for me to get them at the 1/8 inch thickness, which is crucial to getting the right consistency! I don't think I ever quite got them to 1/8 inch, so I had to bake them longer to get them crispy enough. But, in the end, they came out great.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:20 pm 

If you want an easy way to roll things out to a given thickness, use wood! Besides the rolling pin that is. Simply place two pieces of wood, of the thickness you want, on the counter (I have several thicknesses, about 18" long), and roll until the roller hits the wood. If you have a woodworking shop you can make your own, but you can also buy wooden dowels, 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and many other sizes, though I doubt you would be rolling much thicker than these. They sell them in 3' lengths, and you can just cut it in half. Even if they warp, it doesn't really matter, as they just flatten out on the counter as you roll.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:15 pm 

pepperhead212 wrote:
If you want an easy way to roll things out to a given thickness, use wood! Besides the rolling pin that is. Simply place two pieces of wood, of the thickness you want, on the counter (I have several thicknesses, about 18" long), and roll until the roller hits the wood. If you have a woodworking shop you can make your own, but you can also buy wooden dowels, 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and many other sizes, though I doubt you would be rolling much thicker than these. They sell them in 3' lengths, and you can just cut it in half. Even if they warp, it doesn't really matter, as they just flatten out on the counter as you roll.

Wow, that's a great idea! Thanks, Dave!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:12 pm 

Thanks everyone! I will try the alton brown with honey substitution and report back.
Nancy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 pm 

I checked out the Hodgson Mills website and I did not see a "Graham" flour in their product list. Is the flour known by a different name?

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines