Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Organic AP flour suggestions?
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:36 am 

My $100 garden grown tomatoes come to mind...

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 am 

The Truth about Organic Foods from ATK radio. Discussion starts at 10:30 into the show and lasts about 20 minutes. Worth a listen.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:51 pm 

There are a couple of organic farmers selling their wares at our farmer's market and their prices are sky high. A small bag of arugula - $4.00. It's beautiful and delicious but ..... Blueberries - $7.00/quart. Again, delicious but...

fitzie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Darcie,

Huh. That's pretty close to what I pay, for most things ... at a market in the heart of SF! I'd have expected there to be more of a price difference between my groceries and yours.

(p.s. I'm baaaaack! Didya miss me?)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:59 am 

Of course we missed you! I was wondering of the shock of produce prices had stunned you into silence...

Did you go anywhere fun?

I would guess that I do pay less for meat than folks in SF (not that you would know of course!), but probably more for lower quality seafood. Not surprisingly, we have awful seafood selection here.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Darcie wrote:
Of course we missed you! I was wondering of the shock of produce prices had stunned you into silence...

Did you go anywhere fun?

Just Ottawa, for our annual developer conference.

Quote:
I would guess that I do pay less for meat than folks in SF (not that you would know of course!), but probably more for lower quality seafood. Not surprisingly, we have awful seafood selection here.

Well, the seafood at our local market is pretty expensive; starts at around $10/lbs for rockfish (so-called "red snapper") and goes up to $26/lbs for premium fish. The quality is very good, though; the only way to improve on it is buying directly from a fisherman.

I think the meat is expensive too, but it's also only really in the range from good to super-premium (Neiman Ranch Organic Select, etc.). So it's not so much that it's expensive, as that our grocer doesn't carry and of the more affordable brands. That's true in general of what he stocks.

Thing is, premium suppliers (organic milk, Neiman Ranch, Arrowhead Mills, Far West Fungi) are used to delivering small orders anyway, whearas the large suppliers (Foster Farms, Folgers, etc.) charge premium prices for anything less than an entire flat. This means that the prices I pay for gourmet stuff are about the same as you ... I just don't have the opportunity to pay less, unless I drive to Costco. Heck, due to the imbalance of discount pricing, Straus Cream (super-organic premimum) costs the same as Clover at our grocer.

Since I'd buy the gourmet stuff anyway, it's not that much of a hardship, but if I was raising a family of six, it would be impossible. Not that I could afford a big enough house, anyway ...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:27 am 

Hey, I just came back from visiting the "rockfish capital of the world" (or so they claimed)! It is red snapper? This rock fish was fresh water fish, though I didn't see any or eat any or eat any.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Paul,

The South Pacific fish Red Snapper was made very popular on the West Coast by Asian Fusion restaurants back in the 80's and early 90's. However, the authentic red snapper is a deep-sea fish with a fairly limited harvest, most of which is consumed n NZ, Australia and Japan. So here in SF, they sell the local and plentiful red rockfish and call it red snapper. I doubt very many West Coasters have any idea what a real red snapper is.

On the other hand, anything labeled "rockfish" is probably accurate. Except ... "rockfish" generally refers to any of two dozen species of salt-water fish which dwell close in-shore, among rocks and reefs. So I have no idea what a fresh-water rockfish would be.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:34 pm 

In the Chesapeake, rockfish is striped bass.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:38 pm 

Poking around, I'm pretty sure they are referring to Striped Bass. However, this was fairly far inland (100km I think), so it surprises me that they go in that far, but OTOH I don't know a lot about the spawning habits of striped bass.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next