Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CI Shortbread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:17 am 

Since my trip to Florida over New Years, I have had a taste for Shortbread. This morning, I made CI's version and they are in the oven as I am writing this. I was a little hesitant at first when I read the recipe and it called for ground Oats, but decided to make them anyway. Has anybody tried this recipe and compared it to others that they like? I am thinking that this is only the second time I have ever baked Shortbread. The first time was probably over 20 years ago and I don't remember what recipe I used.

Post subject: Re: CI Shortbread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:35 am 

I've made it. It tastes as good as whatever butter you used. My only disappointment was that the thistles on my pretty shortbread pan didn't show up nice and clear. Anyone know how to fix that?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:10 pm 

My favorite shortbread recipe is Ina's shortbread cookies. It has received over 200 five star reviews.
There are two changes I make: I sub 1/2 cup of flour with an equal amount of cornstarch. And, after cutting the cookies out, I pop the cookie sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking.
The flavor of the shortbread improves a great deal by letting the cookies age in a covered tin on the counter for a few days. It is such a simple recipe that yields great taste and texture.
Google Ina's shortbread cookies for the recipe!

Janet Claire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:35 pm 

Hmm,
I've only made the CI recipe without oats (rice flour is added though). I've had trouble with the dough holding together when shaping it, but it tasted great. Aging helped this cookie a lot as well. Fine cooking has some recipes that I'm going to try soon. They use a 9 by 13 pan instead of a cake pan or (more recent CI recipe) the top of a springform pan. I'll let you know how it goes.
Nancy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:36 pm 

I would make this recipe again. Next time, I will process the oatmeal a little longer. Here is a picture.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:43 pm 

Todd -

2 things: 1) I believe you need a special permit to make this after the holidays :lol: :D 2) to hell with the photo, how did it taste :!: ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:05 pm 

wino wrote:
Todd -

2 things: 1) I believe you need a special permit to make this after the holidays :lol: :D 2) to hell with the photo, how did it taste :!: ;)

I thought they tasted really good. I took some to a friend of mine and she also liked them. My only comparison right now is a Walkers Shortbread that I had on my Flight to Florida. Other than that, it's been awhile since I've actually had Shortbread.