Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wonder Bread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:33 am 

Considering the amount of buttermilk that has spoiled in my fridge over the past decade, I’m just wondering why it took me so long to try it in a sandwich loaf. It is a huge improvement over plain milk or evaporated milk makes great bread for stuffing, and there is no reason why it would not make great hamburger and hot dog rolls.

I used a Peter Reinhart recipe from BBA. The recipe was a bit skimpy for my six cup bread pans so I tweaked it some to increase the yield and changed the mixing procedure to something I was more comfortable with.

Buttermilk Sandwich Bread

Based on Peter Reinharts formula in BBA, this recipe version is scaled to produce four medium loaves in 3 cup capacity medium bread pans, about 400 grams per loaf..

825 grams Bread Flour
14 grams Salt [2 Teaspoons table salt]
10 grams Instant Yeast
515 grams Buttermilk, Warm, About 90° [2 cups plus 2 Tbs]
60 grams Sugar [About 5 Tablesppoons]
50 grams Egg, Beaten,1 Large
70 grams Butter [5Tablespoons], melted and slightly cooled.

1. Whisk Flour, Salt and Yeast together

2. In the bowl of a stand mixer add Buttermilk, egg, sugar, and butter. Dump in flour mixture and mix at Speed 2 until the ingredients come togeither into a dough mass, about one minute. Turn off mixer, cover and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.

3. Knead dough at speed 2 for 6-8 minutes until it is smooth and extensible. Dough should clean the side of the mixer bowl, but not the bottom. It should be about 80°.

4. Let dough rise until doubled, 75-90 minutes.

5. Divide dough into desired sizes, shape, and place in pans. Allow to rise. Bake in 350 degree oven until done, 30-40 minutes.

Yield: 2 large loaves, 4 medium or about 20 rolls.
Ready in: 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Wonder Bread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:43 am 

I always use buttermilk for our (semi-) white sandwich bread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:44 am 

Also, if you buy buttermilk with active cultures, it lasts a lot longer -- way past the expi most of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:38 pm 

I have a question. Found a recipe for buttermilk bread that makes two loaves and am wondering if I can bake one in a glass Pyrex and the other in metal? I'd like to bake them tomorrow and don't have time to get to a store.
fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:15 pm 

Fitzie, I've done that before. they might bake at different rates, so keep an eye on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:18 pm 

I will have a bit more time on my hands and at home for a while, want to try this Jim and your's JB, which recipe do you use? I always add at least some ww flour to recipes, as much as I can without creating a brick..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:31 pm 

I basically make CI's American Loaf Bread, Buttermilk Variation. Then I sub out some of the AP flour with white whole wheat. And I use bread flour for extra gluten. And I mix it in the bread machine. And you know what? Here's the recipe --

10 ounces white whole wheat flour
7¼ ounces bread flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons yeast

1. Add ingredients to bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Mix on "dough" setting.

2. Form dough into loaf by gently pressing the dough into a rectangle, one inch thick and no wider than the length of the loaf pan. Next, roll the dough firmly into a cylinder, pressing with your fingers to make sure the dough sticks to itself. Turn the dough seam side up and pinch it closed. Place dough in the pan and press it gently so it touches all four sides of the pan. Finally, place dough in greased 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.

3. Cover with plastic wrap; set aside in warm spot until dough almost doubles in size, 20 to 30 minutes. Heat oven to 350 degrees, placing empty loaf pan on bottom rack. Bring 2 cups water to boil.

4. Remove plastic wrap from loaf pan. Place pan in oven, immediately pouring heated water into empty loaf pan; close oven door. Bake until instant-read thermometer inserted at angle from short end just above pan rim into center of loaf reads 195 degrees, about 40 to 50 minutes. Remove bread from pan, transfer to a wire rack, and cool to room temperature. Slice and serve.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:34 pm 

Interesting that your dough only gets one rise. Unless it proofs in the machine prior to being shaped? And why not just let the machine bake it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:48 pm 

BeckyH wrote:
Interesting that your dough only gets one rise. Unless it proofs in the machine prior to being shaped? And why not just let the machine bake it?

It proofs in the machine and the machine is a first generation zo. Back in the day, they only made vertical loaves and I hate vertical loaves. The new zo is on back-order.