Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chocovic Cocoa Powder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 pm 

Steve,

That's why I made the switch to fair-trade chocolate a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:23 am 

JesBelle, what brands do you like best?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:30 am 

One of the things I liked on the package of Rodelle is in reference to their corporate philosophy. It sounds nice. More can be found here: http://www.rodellekitchen.com/Rodelle-Cares

I'll be honest and say that when I once used Ghiradelli cocoa I didn't notice any difference in product, so my guess is that I won't with Rodelle either, but just curious what the chocoholics thought about it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:06 pm 

Darcie,

I'm afraid I may not be much of a connoisseur, I'm not even all that crazy about dark chocolate. :shock: Well, I like it in food, but for just eating I like milk chocolate. Right now my favorite is Trader Joe's Fair Trade Organic Belgian Milk Chocolate mainly because of the value. It's very good for the price. They also do a dark chocolate bar. When I'm feeling flush, I get a Green & Blacks or Dagoba bar.

I loved Tropical Source chocolate chips; they just had an amazing texture when baked, but I since Sunspire changed the brand name to Dream, I haven't been able to find them. I mostly used Whole Foods 365 Brand Chocolate Chunks. I especially like the white chocolate ones since they are actually made from cocoa butter unlike most white chocolate chips. Since they don't have the extras that make chocolate chips hold their shape, they are also great for melting and using in foods. Otherwise, I usually use Dagoba chocolate for baking. It is Scharffen Berger's organic brand and it is all fair-trade. Though it should be noted that most organic cocoa products are unlikely to involve exploitive practices as many of the entities that certify their "organicness" won't give certs to sources that are abusing their workers. (Citation needed, sorry can't remember where exactly I read that.)

For cocoa I've been using Equal Exchange Baking Cocoa, mostly because I can get it in a couple of brick and mortar stores in the area. It is a Dutched cocoa with a decent flavor but nothing to write home about. I'd like to find some Green & Blacks. I love their chocolates. I tried Trader Joe's Baking Cocoa, which is a natural cocoa powder, but it just seemed weird, almost tangy. It is not a fair-trade cocoa, but it is single-sourced from South America where slavery on cacao plantation does not seem to be a problem. At any rate, the search for a natural cocoa goes on. I may have to break down and go mail-order. I have no doubt that I will have to do that to find an extra-dark Dutched cocoa for next year's coal cookies.

For chocolate cookies (y'know like for Oreo pie-crust), I buy Newman's Own, again because it is organic and there does not appear to be a this problem with organics. I make my own hot chocolate mix. TJ's does carry a really good hot cocoa with chilies right now that is fair-trade, but I don't want spicy every time.

I would also like to add that I really really miss Peanut Butter M&Ms.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:13 pm 

BTW, Writing that much about chocolate MADE me go into the kitchen a fix myself a cup of TJ's spicy hot cocoa.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:42 pm 

I like green and black (fair trade) for baking. Otherwise I use Guittard, Valrhona, callebaut. Favorite eating chocolate is from Italy, Amadei Porcelana. Too expensive to eat regularly, but once in awhile... :geek:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:15 pm 

JesBelle wrote:
Darcie,

I would also like to add that I really really miss Peanut Butter M&Ms.

Will a cute story be the same? Probably not, but the first Easter our kids got these, they dove into a package. Our youngest, who was probably around 3 at the time, looked at us in disgust and said "Mommy, these M&Ms have SEEDS!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:57 pm 

jeanf wrote:
"Mommy, these M&Ms have SEEDS!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ye gods and little fishes! Seeds! That's nearly healthy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm 

wagjag.ca has a grocery deal today for $21 for 20 Camino chocolate bars...fair trade. Ships anywhere in Canda for that price.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:31 am 

do you not have PB M&Ms where you are or do you just not buy them?

I've been on a real peanut butter/chocolate binge lately :D

I dream a dream of home...Where there’s coffee on the table...And kindness in your hand- Lyle Lovett