Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: vanilla extract
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:42 pm 

I just put about 60 beans or so into a litre of Absolut, they weighed about 120-130 grams total. I had to pour some into another jar. Some beans I split and seeded, some I just split and chopped, others I just chopped. Heated the vodka. Now it steeps.
How important is it to shake every day at the beginning? I'm going camping (bad plannind, but in packing the beans fell on my head and I figured it was time) so won't be able to shake it after tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:55 am 

Nice to shake early but not majorly important as long as you shake it some along the way. Not like it will be ruined. The beans and vodka are going to have quite some time to get acquainted. Just start your shakin' regime when you get home.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:21 pm 

Thanks Steve. The vodka is already pretty dark, I added another 200 ml bottle I had in the cupboard but think that it could easily stand some more vodka. Will see when I return.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:29 am 

So, my extract is pretty much smelling like the store bought pure stuff I have. I'm going to wait a while more and then strain it into a different bottle (unless you guys tell me that's not advised!) and then put new vodka on top of the beans. Just need to wait until DH brings more back from duty free; vodka is too spendy here to justify this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:17 am 

Hi Jean. I make my vanilla exactly the way you did (chopping/splitting/seeding a lot of beans, decent vodka, heating it), but I never shake it after the first couple of days. Just put the bottle on the floor of the pantry and date the top of the cap and leave it for at least 3 months. I don't strain it, though, when its done. I just rotate 3 or 4 bottles so when I've refilled the little one I keep in the spice cabinet and the big bottle only has beans left in it, I fill it back up with vodka, add a few new beans, and put it in the back of the rotation. I also keep several cut beans with seeds in the little bottle, so that way, my vanilla always has specs of seeds in it. This system has worked really well for me for a couple of years -- I go through a lot of vanilla and never have to buy it.

Another tidbit I learned a while back is a great way to keep whole beans fresh for whenever I need them. Sarabeth (of Sarabeth's Bakery) calls them "plumped vanilla beans." I also saw the method mentioned in "Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones" recently (although they recommended storage in the refrigerator, and I just keep them on a shelf in my lazy susan cabinet near where I bake). Basically I just shove as many whole beans as will fit into a tall narrow jar containing some homemade vanilla. Then whenever I need a bean, I just pull one out, snip off one end, and out pours the seeds along with a bit of really fragrant vanilla. It's way easier than seeding them with a paring knife like I used to. Plus, that vanilla they're stored in doesn't go to waste and I never worry about vanilla beans going bad, since I buy them in bulk on ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:55 am 

Thanks Emilie. I put the bottle and the jar into my cold cellar on a shelf. I'll likely use the rest of the beans I have for another batch of vanilla when I get more vodka and do the same as you then. (1000 ml bottle of vodka at duty free is $18, equivalent price here is $36, at that price it's about on par with the Kirkland vanilla!)
Will look at storing the beans the same way too. Currently I have around 40-50 in a food savered bag but it's not "top of mind", I think if they were in a bottle and handy that I'd grab them more often, even for recipes just calling for vanilla.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:13 am 

I love the plumped vanilla beans! It is so much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:58 am 

This thread just inspired me to order over a pound of Madagascar beans from Vanilla Saffron Imports. I threw in a few Tahitian beans for kicks. Who prefers what?

I am very excited to plump and extract my beans.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:52 am 

Tahitian is really nice and a very nice odor, but I like the Madagascar for its fuller flavor.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:20 pm 

Mine is 100% madagascar (chef quality beans from saffron.com)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next