Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vanilla extract
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:07 am 

I usually make the vanilla extract from CI 1993. I like it quite a bit, but I wonder how it compares to the March 2009 recipe, which I do not have.

Anyone with advice and/or the secret formula would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: vanilla extract
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:14 pm 

Jes,

The homemade extract as described in the Sep't., 2009 CI is much better that store bought. It is also very easy. Kenji Alt added some structure to CI's minimal recipe. I also have an excellent recipe for vanilla paste.

The cost of my double-strength extract came out to $6 per cup including 16 locally sourced very fresh Madagascar beans (Vanilla/Saffron Imports.com) and 1 quart of Svedka 80 proof vodka.

Homemade Vanilla Extract by Kenji Alt Cook’s Illustrated’s Kenji Alt called it a better brand of vanilla extract, your own. Egullet has a very long topic on vanilla extract with similar findings.

Most of vanilla’s flavor compounds are soluble in water or alcohol. The most shelf stable form of vanilla is Extract which is produced by soaking beans in a solution that is 35% alcohol.

You can make excellent extract by heating 80-proof vodka to a boil and adding split vanilla beans. Vodka is preferred because it adds very little flavor. The use of cognac or rum does change the flavor profile; some like it and some do not.

The ratio that approximates good extract is 1 bean and 6 ounces of vodka. A stronger concentration may also be used.

Procedure:
2 vanilla bean split and scrape out seeds
1 cup vodka heat to a boil

Place the seeds and bean (cut into appropriate lengths) into a heat-proof container. Bring the vodka to a boil, pour over the beans/seeds and allow to cool to room temperature.

Shake the container gently, every day for one week. Store in a cool dark place.

Note: The alcohol aroma will be replaced by a vanilla aroma over time. The extract may be used immediately.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:33 pm 

Sounds exactly the same as the old formula. The only difference is in heating the vodka.

Thanks Tim!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:42 pm 

uhh, wish I'd seen this post sooner....made two bottles recently but used room temperature vodka. I can see how heating it would give a bit of a push. Not sure how fresh my beans were either. I might be gifting these bottles in December. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:11 pm 

Wish I'd caught this thread earlier. I am in the midst of getting Indonesian vanilla beans shipped to my Philippine address. I haven't seen the CI articles or recipe for vanilla extract but I found a number of recipes for it on the internet. Most seem to recommend fairly small amounts of vanilla bean in ratio to the alcohol used for the extraction. However, instructions at a couple of related sites seem to point to the use of a good deal more vanilla bean than normally mentioned and discusses the reasons why.

Website # 1: Instructables and the related Website #2: VanillaReview.com authored by the same individual but with a more extensive description of the process.

The gist of the recommendation is 30 grams of vanilla bean per cup of alcohol, shaken weekly, usable in 2 months, but reaching maturity at 6 months. Different alcohols can be used for extraction with Vodka being the preferred since it contributes little taste, but others such as rum and brandy can be used when those flavor profiles are desired.

A discussion about the different types of vanilla beans was enlightening to moi. I used Madagascar beans in the USA and occasionally find them here, well, I found them once, imported from the USA. Indonesian vanilla beans are not considered top quality, primarily due to the processing methods used. It is recommended as being good for baking, which is one of two primary uses I have for it, supposedly having a better resistance to dissipating from the heat of baking.

I'm getting a bit over two pounds, both Grade A and Grade B beans for 85 bucks plus shipping (I think). It should be enough, if I used it solely for extract to convert ten 750 ml "fifths" of vodka into extract. A lot more than I'll use but some of it will be gifted to local bakers who cannot find anything but the imitation stuff (without description of ingredients). I'll save some of the beans for use in creme brulee or ice cream custards where I want those little flecks of delight showing up, of course.

Tatoosh

Now I'm off to read the CI info.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:56 am 

Tatoosh,

Now that you have established a factory for production, you might want to read the eGullet discussion on vanilla extract. (LINK)

Go to page three and scroll down to the 108th post to learn how to make vanilla bean paste.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:25 pm 

Thanks for the link Tim! I did visit the 108th post and read about the paste. Wow, very involved (for me anyway). I am trying to digest the information and balance between the VanillaReview process and CI's approach. However, I will be perusing that whole vanilla section at eGullet in its entirety. The "put in a bottle of vodka and shake (like a martini) daily" method then let sit for a few months seems imminently do-able to this transplanted tree sloth. But CI's hot vodka approach is worth trying too.

Though most sites do not call for premium vodka when making vanilla extract, a Myth Busters (TV show) episode that dealt with being able to discern the quality of booze by taste used a water filter system (like the Britta water jugs) to re-filter cheaper vodka a few times to see if it improved. And surprisingly, it did! Not to the heights of Grey Goose or similar, but quite discernible none the less. No such filters here, but if you wanted to save a few pennies and improve budget vodka, a few passes through your Britta jug seems to work wonders.

They produce vanilla beans here in the Philippines but the little buggars are hard to find. Very much here on day and gone tomorrow. I suspect that the variety is the same as the Indonesian, but I am curious about how it is processed here, which apparently makes a very great difference in the quality of the end product. I do hope to find a source for them someday and learn how they are handled here.

Steve

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:17 pm 

I just made 1 jar using Kenji's method. Thanks Tim! Will report back in a week or so.
Nance

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:42 pm 

I am unable to find Kenji's recipe...anyone have it handy? I scrolled through various google serious eats pages with no luck.

I have about 80 beans and a litre bottle of vodka, would like to try it this week with the hope to have bottles fully steeped for the fall.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:00 pm 

Here's what he said in one of the question/answer articles: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/09/the-food-lab-answers-questions-about-food-science.html?ref=search
On Pickling and Preserving, and DIY Projects
what are the top things that people should be making/preparing/cooking at home themselves instead of buying but typically don't (because they didn't know you could or don't know how.) to make the list it should be relatively easy with basic kitchen equipment and at least one of the following: cheaper, tastier, healthier.
Top five things to make yourself (these things are always in my pantry):
A good vinaigrette in a squeeze bottle.
<"http://www.goodeater.org/2010/05/14/meta-pantry-roasted-chile-oil-re-blog/">Roasted chili oil, which is great in all sorts of situations.
Homemade vanilla extract: steep a whole split vanilla pod in a cup and a half of vodka for a week. Use just like regular vanilla extract (cheaper and tastier).
Pancake mix. Just combine your dry ingredients in a large batch ahead of time so all you need to do is add eggs, milk, and fat.
Flavored soy sauce. Throw your garlic or ginger scraps into a container filled with good soy sauce in the fridge. Ready-to-use dipping sauce or stir-fry sauce.