Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marzipan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:19 am 

I have almond paste but I want marzipan. Do I just add a bunch of sugar and knead it in? Any secrets?

Post subject: Re: Marzipan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:19 pm 

Darcie
Be sure to use powdered sugar. I can't tell you the proportions, but I have done it (I think I added sugar to get the consistency I need for molding miniature fruits)....it is not easy to knead, so be sure you start with it at room temp
ilene

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:35 pm 

Taste your almond paste-sometimes it's already sweetened. You can cut in the powdered sugar in the FP or a mixer, some people use a bit of corn syrup to keep it smooth and softer. The recipes I found over at pastrywiz.com all start with ground almonds, not almond paste. I know that I've gotten sweetened almond paste in big-ass cans from suppliers. It was always labeled almond paste, never marzipan. That may be one of those weird government rules.
BeckyH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:37 pm 

The recipes for marzipan I have seen had a high proportion of 10x sugar to almond paste - 2:1, or even higher, plus a little corn syrup, as well as almond extract. Here is one, which I liked better, as it seems the amaretto has a slightly better flavor than just extract, but maybe it is because I am sipping it while making the paste!

2 1/2 c 10x sugar
10 oz almond paste
2 tb amaretto or 1/2 tsp almond extract
3-5 tb light corn syrup, depending on moisture of almond paste, and whether using amaretto or extract.

Combine all ingredients, adding corn syrup last, to make proper consistency for shaping.

Marzipan may sometimes be labeled as almond paste because of taxation reasons - candy is taxed more than food ingredients. Just a guess...

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:11 am 

Thanks, guys. This is Odenze almond paste, and if I recall correctly, it was next to tubes that said marzipan, so I think I should add more sugar (although it is lightly sweetened itself).

I am going to mold marzipan carrots to top carrot cake cupcakes, if I can find the time today!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:50 am 

I've always wanted to make marzipan fruit and veggis. Darcie, that sounds like fun. Do you use gel colors and also paint on color to get color variations? How about some pics in-process and finished product?

trink.