Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ISO Sponge Cake recipe
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:55 pm 

Does anyone have a good recipe for a 2-3 layer moist sponge cake without a soaking syrup? I want to make one of my favorite cakes for my birthday, and use sponge cake layers instead of ladyfingers.
This is the cake:
Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101955

Post subject: Re: ISO Sponge Cake recipe
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm 

What about a chocolate genoise? I have never made one,(or even had one), but have been reading some recipes and watching some videos online.......It looks a little tricky, but interesting. I think CI has a recipes for a chocolate one...........Just for you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:10 pm 

Jaxallie wrote:
What about a chocolate genoise? I have never made one,(or even had one), but have been reading some recipes and watching some videos online.......It looks a little tricky, but interesting. I think CI has a recipes for a chocolate one...........Just for you!

Thanks! :) The filling in this cake is sooooo deep chocolatey, that even I prefer a vanilla-ish cake to balance it out. Strange for me, I know. LOL

I'm trying to duplicate the sponge-like ladyfinger idea - I've used them many times, but I don't like the additives/preservatives in the store-bought ones, and I don't have the patience to make my own. So, I thought I'd do a plain sponge cake instead. I think I'll check out a plain genoise, though. Thanks for the idea!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 am 

You're killing me here! Low carb dieting is effective, but after 10 weeks I sure do miss all this yummy stuff! Thursday is my birthday so I may have to indulge! ;)

Laurie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:28 am 

Laurie, I know what you mean. I've been on a vegan diet for the last 3 weeks and can't wait for Easter - ham, potatoes au gratin, eggs, BUTTER, etc. Then back to vegan living. It's not too bad, I really don't miss most things but I am a butter and cheese freak and I do miss those.

fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:54 am 

Genoise tend to be a bit dry and plain. Making lady fingers isn't terribly hard and you can pipe the batter in rounds or sheets, and either leave the lines or smooth them as it suits you.
THE CAKE BIBLE has a good recipe for them.
If you really want to not use a syrup try a fluffy yellow or white cake, like the one Darcie posted.