Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pazcki
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

JesBelle,

DW, who is the sweets person, looked through several of her cookbooks but couldn't find the recipe we have. You're welcome to come over and look through our cookbook library. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 am 

Bay City, Michigan where I live has a large population of Polish people and Paczki day (Fat Tuesday) is a really big day for Krzysiaks House and Barneys Bakery. Both of these places sell dozens of dozens of Paczkis on Paczki day. You have to call and order them in advance. I will call Barneys when the baker shows up and ask him for the basic ingredients .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:16 pm 

I didn't look through all of them but there are some good 'how to' videos on YouTube for these; maybe that will help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:17 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
JesBelle,

DW, who is the sweets person, looked through several of her cookbooks but couldn't find the recipe we have. You're welcome to come over and look through our cookbook library. ;)

Yeah, it may take a while to get there. I'll need to stop in Colorado for some La Folie at the New Belgium Brewery. :D

Seriously, thanks for all the help, guys. I have houseguest coming from Alabama. He used to live in Detroit (where the airport is now), and he'll be leaving before Fat Tuesday, so it would be cool to send him home with a few of these.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:53 pm 

I know this isn't much help, but I talked to the Baker at Barney's and the ingredients for Paczki dough are Sugar, Shortening, Flour, Eggs and Yeast. This dough has extra eggs, so if you find a recipe with these ingredients, I would think it is as close to an original recipe as you can get.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:50 pm 

Using dried milk in this dough isn't all that weird-it helps with the structure and adds a nice flavor to the dough. You could use regular milk and reduce the other liquid by the same amount if you wanted to. This dough is very rich-butter and eggs and milk make it close to a brioche formula.
BeckyH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:45 am 

Becky,
Yes, it's like a Brioche but with more eggs.
All I have been thinking about for the last two days is Paczkis. I have also been thinking about all the Polish last names that I know how to spell. One of my friends has 12 letters in his last name. My whole name only has 12 letters. Too funny!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:28 am 

Hey, I went to school with a guy who had like ten letters in his name and none of them were actually vowels. Okay, there was a "y". I don't like to use dried milk, but I am seeing mostly recipes that are rather briochesque. I've decided to break down and get the spiral booklet from Amazon. It's just $4. (I'm just positive that there'll be, like, 15 copies at the next library sale I hit.) Hopefully, that, together with the internet info, will provide enough sources to cobble together a pretty good recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:36 am 

A Polish friend of mine has the ingredients only for a recipe from the Warsaw Bakery that was here in Bay City until the early 70's.

12 egg yolks
1 tsp salt
2 pkgs dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup of butter at room temp
1/2 cup of sugar
4 1/2 cups of flour
1 cup of scalded cream

That's all he has! I don't know why he doesn't have the directions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:40 am 

Sadly, I did not get myself in gear sufficiently to produce any pazcki this year. But, I think I will be working on this now that I have a few recipes to study. Meanwhile, we ordered some and Geekboy is picking them up as I type. I have definitely put "Rose Jelly" on my ToDo List this summer. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully by next Mardi Gras, I'll have an awesome pazcki recipe.

Oh and a very happy Fat Tuesday to you all!