Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weights of common ingredients
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:54 pm 

SilverSage, meet Tim. ;)

[quote="SilverSage"]Nice to meet you, Tim. :shock:

He's really a teddy bear. Gives me hell all the time. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:43 pm 

SilverSage wrote:
...but you guys can be a bit overwhelming.

That is a very polite way of saying it. :roll:

But, we're good people. :mrgreen:

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:08 pm 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
As a aside, when I looked for very sensitive scales (0.1 or 0.01 gram sensitivity) there was an amazing number of them, almost all pocket sized, many disguised as something else. Once was even in a mouse (computer kind) with 'storage'. Whatever could drive such a variety and availability of super sensitive portable scales? :lol: :mrgreen:

lol....took me a minute

Silversage...I've never seen a scale that can do that. Way cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, I've taken advantage of it.

For glazes, I need a 0.1 gram scale. Back in the 80's, those cost $9000+. Today? $180, less on sale.

If you're weighing 0.1 gram for cooking, though, you're either cooking from the Alinea cookbook, or you're doing it wrong. :roll:

Incidentally:

Quote:
one fluid ounce of whole milk = one imperial weight ounce

... which means that a fluid ounce of water is actually heavier than a weight ounce. Hence my "slightly more than 1/2 cup of water" weighing 6oz. It's a messed-up system.

Weren't we supposed to go metric in back in 1982?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
If you're weighing 0.1 gram for cooking, though, you're either cooking from the Alinea cookbook, or you're doing it wrong. :roll:

Well, I have been angling towards Alinea (and cooking some of the recipes in Under Pressure also wander into this area), but doing it wrong? Nah. For one thing, I'm also angling towards the new Modernist cuisine book which gives pretty much *everything* in grams, including very small amounts. When you are down to a couple of grams of something, a +-1 gram scale isn't going to cut it. I've also been moving towards converting some of my recipes to all grams. I hate mucking about with 1/4 tsp of stuff, and then trying to scale that and then trying to measure it. Grams scale very nicely, and the whole process is very fast and efficient.

So: Short version, no, I'm not trying to weigh my flour to 300.0 grams. I'm trying to weigh my malic acid to 1.0 grams.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:40 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Weren't we supposed to go metric in back in 1982?

they were talking about that when I was in elementary school in the 70s
/carbondatingoneself :mrgreen:

I dream a dream of home...Where there’s coffee on the table...And kindness in your hand- Lyle Lovett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:22 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:

Weighing ingredients is no more accurate than measuring them by volume.

There is an easy to way to quantify changes in flour due to ambient humidity. Weigh 100 grams of whatever flour you have laying around into a container with a lid and change its climate. If your current humidity is very high, move it to the Arctic Tundra climate of your freezer or refrigerator and let it rest uncovered for a week or so and weigh it again.

If your pantry is like mine with a temperature in the low 60’s and humidity in the mid 20’s, put your flour a microwave with a couple bread pans with some water in them. It helps to have a wireless remote thermometer\hygrometer to monitor the situation, but takes less than an hour for my microwave to be at nearly 70% humidity with a temperature in the mid 70’s.

If you weigh the container with and without the lid after adding the flour, it is very quick to record changes in the flour weight due to changes in ambient humidity. I am skeptical because I have never observed a change of more than a gram or two in previous tests.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:59 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
SS,

You could create it as a Google Spreadsheet, and then post a sharing link on the board.

Now, the bad news:

Weighing ingredients is no more accurate than measuring them by volume.

Yes, really. CI and many others like to pretend otherwise, but the truth is, no matter how you measure your ingredients, it's going to be a matter of "combine, and adjust until correct". Always.

Why? One big reason is ambient humidity.

I was noticing this this winter. One thing I make a lot of is pizza dough. I have the recipe memorized, and I know exactly the right texture. Circumstantially, I happened to make pizza dough a week apart, once at my in-laws, and once at home. My in-laws' place is 35-40% humidity durning the winter, and they keep the flour in the fridge. My apartment is 70-80% humidity and I keep the flour out.

Result? The pizza dough at home required over 1/2 cup less water than the one at my in-laws. Because I was curious about how this would affect weights, I weighed it; at my in-laws, I had to add 6oz more water than I did at my apartment. The flour in both places came from the same mill and was bought on the same day.

Yet, one 18oz bowl of flour had 6oz more water in it than the other one did. This means that, had I measured it by weight, I'd have ended up with 6oz less actual flour ... a 1/3 difference. For this particular case, measuring by volume happened to be more accurate than by weight, but either is subject to a hefty fudge factor. And no "by weight" recipe can be scientifically accurate unless it includes ambient humidity, grain size, producer, altitude, age and storage conditions of ingredients.

I've been thinking about that for a while, as you can guess. Am I hijacking the thread? :twisted:

Salutations Cookaholics!
Introductions: I'm Tunaoue, aka: John.
I'm new here, and was perusing a few cooking forums and ran across you guys (by recommendation).

Measurement by weight or volume is a very interesting subject, an it is because of this thread that I decided to join up and offer my 2 cents. (Albiet there are several who have done the same.) The other reason is after reading the entire thread at least twice -- I like the behavior of the members.

So Fuzzy, your story is intriguing. There are a couple things that the others have not pointed out or inquired on.
The volume of water increase was because of your experience of how much more moisture you needed to achieve the same "feel", correct? I understand that, after one does several loaves, one begins to develop a relationship. However, you make some dough at your apt, then later at your in-laws. Did you use the SAME SCALE to weight you ingredients? Were they different? If so I suggest taking a solid object and measure the weight on both to check for consistency. The scale and linearity may be off on one (or both)

Also, no one brought up the subject of the cold flour versus room temp. Moisture condensation could have occurred. Moisture could have infiltrated during its time in the 'fridge.

My background is a tad weak, I have to admit. I've never taken a class in cooking, nor home economics or baking.
But there are some rules that I've learned by others teaching me when I was young, or by reading some old cookbooks.

First rule (I may be wrong here, if so please correct me) is that when baking, unless otherwise specified, all ingredients are to be at room temperature. Butter is not supposed to be used cold (unless it is asked to be), including eggs, milk, so forth. Yes, I microwave my butter on defrost to soften it, I nuke my milk so it's not cold, and I place my eggs in a pan of warm water for 10 minutes before I break them.

Second rule: all volume measurements of flour(s) are sifted quantities.
This is for two reasons: packing flour into a cup creates an unknown variable of density. The uncertainty of how much flour you have is greater. With sifting, the results have a lesser degree of uncertainty. Also there is the argument of mixability. With sifted flour, it is free of clumps and is more prepared for mixing with other ingredients.

In your story you're saying you have about 6 ounces less actual flour. That's an alarmingly high degree of inconsistency. I don't doubt your need for more moisture. I do question the other factors that were involved.

To SilverSage; I love your table of volumes to weights. The last portion did not bother me where 8 ounces (volume) equals 10 ounces (weight). What is a little weird is so many items are also 10.0. I'd expect maybe mustard being 10.2 or 9.9. It's a minor point, but I do appreciate you sharing - Thanks. We can get by with measure liquids by volume because they have much less tendency to compress, plus we don't have to tare (zero the scale) and try to wipe all the residual from a container.

Someone mentioned Antarctica. This is a so-what, the gravitational constant on earth is different depending on where you are. A mass will measure lighter in weight at sea level at the equator than at the top of Mt. McKinley in Alaska. The main factors are atmospheric buoyancy and centrifugal force from earth's rotation. Again, it's minor, the differences are pretty slight.

As far as weighing being more "Precise" than measure by volume, it depends on the measurement tool. In my kitchen the Taylor kitchen scale is good to 1/10 of an ounce. That is close enough for what I need. Again not all scales will indicate the same value, in fact count on them being a little off. Example, I weighted myself on my digital bathroom scale; it read 175.5 Lbs. I weighed myself 30 minutes later on my son's scale; it said 171.0. I like my son's scale better.

Sorry Fuzzy, I'm REALLY not trying to pick on you, it that the subject is interesting, and 33% mass volume disappearing is something that even Einstein would find unusual.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:25 am 

Welcome Tunaoue! I love how you jump right in and take on the founder of the board. :lol: Don't worry, though. He's no tin-pot dictator that can't take a few on the chin. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:17 am 

What!?! I'm floundering with the founder?
Doh! I guess I really stepped in it, didn't I?

Ummm, . . . thanks for the great web site, Fuzz.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next