Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ISO your favourite pot roast recipe
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:15 am 

Jean this is the recipe a poster on the OB said was the best pot roast - ever. I tried it, and thought it was good.
Quote:
Braised beef with Anchovies and Rosemary
Italian cooks often add anchovies to stews and braised meats. They melt and disappear into the sauce, adding a savory flavor that is very different from the aggressive effect of anchovies on a pizza or salad.
Serves 6
2 tbsp olive oil
3 lbs boneless chuck, cut into 2 inch cubes
2 oz pancetta, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
6 anchovy fillets
1 cup dry white wine
1 3-inch sprig of fresh rosemary
In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Pat the beef dry. Add only as much of the beef and pancetta to the pan as will fit comfortably without crowding. Cook until nicely browned on all sides. Transfer the meat to a large slow cooker and brown the remaining meat. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon off the excess fat from the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and anchovies and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until the anchovies dissolve. Add the wine and bring it to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan. Pour the liquid into the slow cooker. Add the rosemary.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until the meat is very tender. Discard the rosemary and serve hot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:20 am 

Quote:
tried any of her recipes. I WOULD though

My favorite is Catalan Veal Stew, which involves veal and saffron - it is seriously delicious. Interested? What would you like a recipe for? I have two of L. Sass' books and 4 or 5 others. Let me know......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:12 pm 

thanks K. I forgot about that recipe from TOB, oddly enough now that I think about it that's why I bought the darn pot roast to begin with. :oops: Oh well, next time! After I try the pressure cooker one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:19 pm 

I tried that anchovy pot roast as above, but didn't like it, I must not be hip enough. My daughter loved it on the other hand, so... don't know if I'll make it again since the smell mad me gag.

My favorite pot roast recipe of all time is one by Giada. It's her Stracotto with porcini. Let's see if I can figure out how to post the linky...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/stracotto-pot-roast-with-porcini-mushrooms-recipe/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm 

Jenny, the one you posted really appeals to me. I thought the Braised Beef one was good toward OK, but this recipe sounds more like something we would like. I didn't like the one out of The Italian Slow Cooker well enough to want to make it again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:26 pm 

I made pot roast tonight. I use a pressure cooker as braising at altitude takes a looooong time. I threw a (seared) chuck steak into the PC along with some garlic, mirepoix, remi, chicken stock, bay, tomato paste, S&P, anchovies.

When the meat was done I sauteed some mushrooms, then wizzed the jus in my VitaMix. Served on top of mashies. Life is good.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:37 am 

Wants to share with you all "Catalan Beef Stew recipe"

This recipe for Catalan Beef Stew is easy and has a unique flavor, due to a surprise ingredient - chocolate! While the stew simmers, prepare a pot of white rice to accompany it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup Spanish olive oil
* 2 lbs. stew beef, cut into cubes
* 1 tbsp. flour
* 8 oz. glass red wine
* 4 cloves garlic, cut into halves
* 2 onions, chopped
* 2 tomatoes, chopped
* 1 carrot, sliced
* 1 stick celery, chopped
* 1 leek, chopped
* 1 oz. baking chocolate (unsweetened)
* pinch of cinnamon - about 1/4 tsp.
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 1/2 cups beef stock

Preparation:

This recipe can be made in either a large stock pot or a pressure cooker. If using a pressure cooker, cooking time will be reduced to about 30 minutes.

Chop the garlic, onions, tomatoes, carrot, celery and leak.

Pour the olive oil into a large pot with a heavy bottom, or the pressure cooker. Heat the oil and add the cubed stew meat. Brown the meat for 3-4 minutes. Add the flour and stir. Add the wine and stir. Cook for 1 minute.

Add the garlic, onions, tomatoes, carrot, celery and leak to the pot and stir ingredients. Cut the square of baking chocolate in half and add to the pot. Add beef stock to the pot, stir and bring to a boil.

If you are using a standard pot, partially cover and lower to a simmer. Then allow to simmer for an hour to an hour and a half - or until the meat is tender.

If you are using a pressure cooker, put on lid and lock. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow pressure to drop naturally. This may take 10 minutes. Remove lid and simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes to thicken stock.

Serve with French-style bread on a bed of white rice.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 am 

Welcome, Venetis! Thanks for posting. This might be an interesting recipe.