Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pizza, pizza, pizza!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:30 pm 

I've been making a lot of pizza recently because it's just so dang easy...

I'm getting bored...

Favorite pizza combos? Especially white pizza!

Amy

Post subject: Re: Pizza, pizza, pizza!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:46 pm 

Hi Ames
I hope you are enjoying all of that snow!

One of the toppings I use that gets rave reviews is a marinated tomato topping. I peel, seed and dice fresh tomatoes, add lots of chopped basil, oregano and garlic, salt & pepper and olive oil. Let the tomatoes sit for a few hours (while making dough) then just spread this on the pizza disc and top with grated asiago ( or parm) and bake.

For white pizza, I just infuse some good olive oil with fresh garlic and oregano and basil. I top the disc of dough with asiago then drizzle the infused oil on top of the cheese and add some parmesian on top of that and bake off....its pretty tasty.
ilene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:58 pm 

This is one or our favs: CI's whole wheat pizza dough (2007), spread with white bean hummus and topped with arugula and cherry tomatoes mixed with olive oil/balsamic/lemon juice dressing and topped again with feta cheese and either carmelized onions or red onion chutney.

I think I'm going to have to whip that up tomorrow! Its been a while. Thanks for the reminder Amy!

Nancy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:16 pm 

I think I mentioned on the CL board that during our 35 days in Italy I ate 25 pizzas. This was my favorite: buffalo mozzarella, a few tomatoes and basil.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:33 pm 

Pizza margarhite (sp??) is one of my favorites!

We once put hash browns on top of our pizza mistaking it for frozen mozz. :o

Surprisingly, it was very good. Potatoes now are a frequent addition to pizzas. Potatoes has even served as the base of the pizza instead of dough.

Janet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

Ten Suggestions:

1. On Friday I did pizza with a cornmeal crust, fontina, romano, red onions and a heap of sliced chantrelle mushrhooms.

2. My wife's favorite combo is: pesto, fresh mozzarella, sweet corn, red onion and black olives and fresh oregano or basil. Corn kernels on pizza are surprisingly good; you should try it.

3. Another one of my Brazillian favorites is sliced Palmito (hearts of palm) which make an excellent pizza topping with tomato sauce and mozzarella.

4. Want to drive anyone away who didn't eat with you? Garlic, olive oil, gorgonzola and anchovies.

5. Another odd-but-good combo: mozzarella, oil-packed tuna, and Calabrese hot peppers.

6. Since I have sourdough around all the time, I often make sourdough pizza crust. It's harder to handle than regular dough (sticky) but is an excellent, tasty, chewy base for a grilled pizza margerita.

7. I've been meaning to try for a while a Venetian recipe for pizza made with chickpea flour dough, topped with fresh-made ricotta, basil and minced peppers (or Ligurian sausage).

8. Garlic & Olive Oil, Cacchiocavallo (failing that, aged provolone), sliced zucchini, and whole pitted green and black olives.

9. A little mozzarella or fontina, roasted bell peppers & roasted garlic cloves, artichoke hearts, and cubed feta cheese.

10. The ultimate alternative: Brazillan Sweet Pizza. Try their most popular: strawberries, chocolate and cream cheese. The crust is prebaked, then you melt the chocolate on it, and top it with the strawberries and pipe on lines of cream cheese while still warm.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:07 am 

Yum, those all look great. Good ideas. One of my favorites that I have had in the Italian part of Switzerland is a pizza with tomato sauce and little blobs or mascarpone (I think mozz too) all over it and then, after baking, throw a handful of arugula over it. I also like to then drizzle it with hot pepper oil. They also sell something here called rösti pizza with hash browns and then raclette cheese on top. I haven't had it so I can't tell you anything more about it.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:17 am 

WOW - these are look wonderful. I'm intrigued by the sweet pizza.

I like to brush olive oil and put a bit of rosemary and sea salt on the crust. Bake it (I think theres a name for this, but I can't remember off-hand). Then pile on drained marinated tomatoes, mozz and basil - kind of like a caprese salad on a pizza crust. Yum, especially in the summer.

trink.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:10 am 

One of the food fads up here is to drizzle honey onto blue cheese. I could see how this could work into a pizza.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:29 am 

Hey Felted-bag (one of my favorite handles) please explain how you inserted a photo. I'm a dismal and forlorn failure so far. Many Thanks!!