Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meatless/Almost Meatless Meals
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:59 am 

Fuzzy suggested this, so I'll start a thread about meatless and almost meatless meals, because it's one of my NY resolutions.

We have been trying to cut down on meat consumption, and a couple of years ago, we started having meatless Friday - got to be really old to remember before Vatican II!

A while back, I got a cookbook called Almost Meatless, and while it is not completely meatless, it is an interesting concept that you can use just a small amount of meat, similiar to Chinese food originally was. Meat was almost just a seasoning.

Anyone have some really great meatless dishes they'd like to share?

Post subject: Re: Meatless/Almost Meatless Meals
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:37 pm 

I'm thinking of this one. It was on CHOW, but it sounds a little bland.....
Quote:
Winter Greens Soup
By Aida Mollenkamp
The combination of farro, potatoes, beans, and winter greens makes for a filling soup that’s packed with flavor. It’s a great dish to turn to during the cold months when you’ve had more than enough braised food but still want something substantial and warming.
What to buy: A European strain of spelt, farro is an ancient cereal grain that has been used in cooking for thousands of years. It has a nutty flavor and a chewy texture that add a great dimension to this soup. It’s often found in the bulk section of health food stores, but if you’re having a hard time finding it you can omit it or substitute barley.
Game plan: The farro and beans can be cooked up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate them in a covered container until ready to use.
For a slacker solution, you can substitute drained canned garbanzo beans if you want to save some time.
This recipe was featured as part of our Supercharge with Superfoods photo gallery.
TIME/SERVINGS
Total Time: 2 hrs, plus soaking time
Active Time: 45 mins
Makes: 12 servings

INGREDIENTS
2 cups dried farro
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil
5 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium white onion, medium dice (about 1 cup)
1 large carrot, medium dice (about 1/2 cup)
12 medium red potatoes, such as Red Bliss (about 3 pounds), coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 medium bay leaf
3 cups cooked, drained garbanzo beans
1 bunch Swiss chard, leaves removed from stems and coarsely chopped (about 8 cups packed)
1 bunch Tuscan kale, leaves removed from stems and coarsely chopped (about 6 cups packed)
3 cups canned high-quality chopped tomatoes, such as Pomi
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
6 cups (1 1/2 quarts) low-sodium chicken broth
INSTRUCTIONS
Soak farro in 6 cups of water at least 8 hours or overnight.
Transfer farro and soaking water to a large pot, add salt, and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook until farro is tender and chewy, about 45 to 60 minutes. Drain and reserve farro.
Place olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. When it shimmers, add garlic, onion, and carrot. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook until vegetables are tender and onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add farro, potatoes, herbs, and garbanzo beans and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir mixture so that everything gets coated in oil and herbs.
Add chard and kale to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until greens start to let off liquid and shrink in size, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Add chicken broth (the vegetable mix should be just covered by the liquid—if there is not enough, add some water) and bring to a simmer. Simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are cooked through, about 35 to 40 minutes. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, remove bay leaf, and serve.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:48 pm 

I just bought that cookbook and hope I get something out of it.

I was a vegetarian for years and am again though off and on. I don't care at all for beef unless it's chili or cheeseburger so that's easy except for DH who likes a steak now and then.

Bacon is my downfall and I feast on it during tomato season. Actually, pork in any of its forms suits me just fine.

Chicken I can take or leave.

We have meatless meals most days, it's adding the meat that's unusual for us so I'm hoping "Almost Meatless Meals" will satisfy DH and me both.

Fitzie

PS - Just made Hachis Parmentier which we both enjoyed very much. The final meat was cut into such tiny bits that it really looked like hamburger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:16 pm 

Right now my favorite meatless meal is CI's Salerno-Style Spaghetti and a salad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

KSS,

Well, you could browse the "recipe" tag on my blog.

http://www.fuzzychef.org/plugin/tag/recipes

... although, hmmm, a few seem to be missing there. Browse through, I guess.

In general, the secret to making great meatless meals is never to substitute for meat. Cook recipes which never had meat in them, or had very little.

Cuisines which are easy for meatlessness/low meat:
  • Italian
  • Greek
  • Middle Eastern
  • California
  • Latin American (most counties, anyway)
  • Thai
  • Indian
  • Spanish

Farro & Tuscan Cabbage soup (Cavalo Nero) is actually one of my favorites, and I make it 3 or 4 times a year. The recipe you posted, though, is a bit excessive: farro, kale, chard, chickpeas and potatoes? I'd cut some stuff from it, personally.

I'm also amused that veggie/low-meat cuisine is coming into vogue again, after the Atkins Interregnum.

BTW, I browsed a recent copy of CI and noticed that they've given up on being veggie-friendly. Meat, meat, meat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:43 pm 

Since we resolved to be meatless a few nights a week, it has turned out to be pretty easy. Beans and rice, innumerous pasta dishes (just plain old oil+garlic+pasta, or basic spagetti can be a real treat if done very well, caprese, it goes on), many veggie pizzas (pizza margherita is a favorite), Many soups (I love some african-style soups, plus the various leek & potato soups or squash soups, etc).... I think you begin to see the pattern. I think being veggie all the time could be tough, but a few nights a week is actually kinda fun. One thing to watch out for; Heavy cheese recipes will call out to you, but they are likely higher in calories and fat then actual meat dishes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:08 am 

Actually, I do a lot of pasta, beans and lentils, but I guess I'd like something new. We like vegetables; one favorite is the summer vegetable gratin, which I double and we have that with rice or pasta.

I agree that potatoes and farro was a bit of a carbo explosion. Speaking of carbs and Atkins, I went on that diet, and it really altered my taste buds. I can no longer stand the taste of coffee, or milk :? I used to say I could live on eggs, now, not so much.....

(Right after I posted this, I got email from Chow with some good looking meatless ideas. Not sure this will paste, because it was email):
http://www.chow.com/galleries/83/de-meatified-recipes?tag=nl.e350

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:03 am 

I really like this one:

Poached Mozzarella In Tomato Broth
Total time: 40 minutes
4 slices French bread (1/2-inch thick), brushed with oil on both sides
¼ cup diced onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup dry white wine
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
Fresh lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper to taste
4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (1/2-inch thick)
Preheat broiler to high.

Toast bread on both sides under broiler; set aside.

Sauté onion, garlic, and pepper flakes in oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until onion softens, 5 minutes. Deglaze pan with wine; simmer until liquid is nearly evaporated, 3–5 minutes.

Add tomatoes, broth, and vinegar to onions in pan; simmer until tomatoes break down, 8–10 minutes. Reduce burner heat to medium. Toss basil and parsley with lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper; set aside

Add cheese to broth and gently cook until cheese is soft and a little gooey, 2–3 minutes.

To serve, arrange a slice of toasted bread in each of four shallow bowls or plates. Carefully lift a slice of mozzarella from the broth and place on the bread. Drizzle more broth around bread, top cheese with some basil-parsley mixture, and drizzle with more olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste; serve immediately.

Notes:
Nutrition Information
4 servings: 336 cal; 12g total fat (4g sat); 15mg chol; 727mg sodium; 40g total carbs (3g sugars); 3g fiber; 14g protein

Categories:
30 Minute, Vegetarian

Source

Cuisine at Home
Servings/Yield

4 servings
Course

Main

The only this I do differently is rub the toasted bread with garlic and I use canned tomatoes.

I also have a recipe for baked huevos rancheros that does the trick as well but only have a hard copy of that so post it later as I am going to cook up so MEAT soup right now.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:23 am 

Thanks, Mary! That sounds delicious. I copied to LC. (Alina has created and addict :D )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:08 am 

Mary,

That sounds divine.

I'm on my own for dinner tonight, so it's sushi for me! (The DH doesn't really like it...silly man.)

Amy