Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Turkey Lurkey
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:03 am 

Wow, you are like my own personal cooklipedia. The eggplant is on the list too.

Enjoy the food festival, please report back.

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Mary,

I didn't take pictures this time because I've covered the festival previously:

http://www.fuzzychef.org/archives/Of-Ar ... -2008.html

The best item by far is sou-boreg, a pastry made of egg noodles, butter and cheese. Recipe here:

http://90pluswine.com/2009/06/15/sou-boreg/

... but like dolmas and kibbeh/kofte, generally too much effort without an extended family to help.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:33 am 

Hey Josh
I am making the fish recipe but have a question. I was not able to order any big white fish so instead am getting 8 dorade (I am not sure what this is in English) about 1.5 pounds each. How much of the stuffing should I make? I was thinking 2.5 times the recipe but math is not my strong point. Also what about the cooking time?

Thanks

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:55 am 

My dinner was a big success. The fish was fantastic so thank you! I don't know if I would do it for some many people again as serving it was a nightmare. I wish I would have taken a photo though as it looked gorgeous. I put all 8 fish on an over-sized rectangular white platter and covered it with the tahini sauce and all the other doodads. I also made a baked feta recipe that I got off the CI board that was very good. I found some of those cheese filled filo straws at the Turkish market but I was a bit underwhelmed, I think they could have used some kind of dipping sauce. I also made a Turkish salad: chopped tomatoes, green peppers, cucumber, parsley, lemon juice followed by a kind of Turkish ravioli (I cheated and bought the pasta dough) that was filled with a beef mixture and topped with a garlic-yogurt sauce, drizzled with a hot pepper butter and garnished with chopped mint (very good, I feel like making it RIGHT NOW), then the amazing fish. For dessert I made something that would probably cause most Turks to cringe: pineapple cheese baklava. This also went over very well, like a cross between baklava and a danish. One of my friends can't eat nuts so I wanted to find something she could eat too. I ran out of time and energy for the eggplant recipe but will keep it on my list.

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:30 am 

Sounds wonderful!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

Glad dinner went well! Sounds like a huge feast ... how many people were you cooking for? That must have taken days to prepare.

Cheese boreks are really dependant on butter in the wrapper and seasonings in the cheese to be good. The ones you bought probably didn't have either.

The dumplings with yogurt sauce are called "manti" and my wife adores them.

No pictures at all?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:28 am 

Hey welcome back!
It was a feast for 10... probably too many people for the fish as serving was a logistical nightmare but everyone was happy.
I made the manti ahead and froze them (and bought the pasta dough).
I made the baklava in the morning, then cleaned up my house and then had 2 friends come in the afternoon and we did the rest then. I think I finished cleaning up (most of the way) at 1:30 and then crawled to bed. And I had a drs appt at 7:50 the next day! It was worth it though, it was a lot of fun and I got lots of positive feedback and that is always nice.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the boraks. You could barely taste the cheese. I may have to try to make them one day as I would like to have "real" ones.

No pictures. I am bummed because it was a very pretty meal. There may be an iphone photo of the fish out there somewhere but I haven't seen it.

Thanks again for your help! We already did a Japanese meal so I can't take advantage of your recent trip (and that was even more work).

Mary