Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perfumed saffron rice Pilaf
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:58 am 

I have fallen in love with this recipe - which I modify constantly. Saw Becky's post today re: ribs and I have done the same journey all summer and have added this rice often as a side - rave reviews. So, I decided to post the whole damn thing. It is really quite simple.

Perfumed Saffron Rice Pilaf (adapted by Bill Oehler from The World of Kebabs by Anand Prakash, ©2006 Whitecap Books and Cook’s Illustrated - various recipes)

This is my favourite saffron rice recipe because of its tremendous color. Prakash was a marine biologist travelling the world who fell in love with street food. The key to the color is to let the water and saffron rest for 3+ hours before proceeding. The perfume part of this comes from CI and I have modified it to my tastes. The result is spectacular and tastes damn good.

Serves 4, quantities can be modified easily. 45 minutes preparation and cooking time. Ingredients listed in order needed.

¼ t saffron
1.5 c warm water
1T butter or any oil (not motor)
½ t cinnamon
½ t cardamom
½ t nutmeg
½ t allspice
½ t cloves, ground
1 c diced onions, any color
1 garlic toe, medium, diced
1 t mustard seeds
1 cups basmati rice (rinsed or not)
½ c raisins, (golden preferred)
1 t salt, table
½ c green onions, chopped

1. Combine warm water and saffron in small sauce pan, stir, cover, and set aside for 3+ hours.

2. Place saffron water on small burner with medium to low heat - do not boil.

3. In separate 2 quart sauce pan, add oil (butter) and heat to shimmering (medium - medium/high heat), then add all spices except mustard seeds. Cook spices for 2 - 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, but do not burn, add onion and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add garlic and mustard seeds and cook for 1 minute.

4. Stir in rice, raise heat to high, and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 2 - 3 minutes.

5. Add saffron water, raisins and salt and bring to boil. Stir to mix slightly. Cover tightly, reduce heat to very low (move to small burner & set on low heat) and simmer 17 minutes. Turn off heat, don’t peek, and let stand 10 minutes more.

6. Add green onions, fluff, and serve,

Post subject: Re: Perfumed saffron rice Pilaf
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:13 pm 

Oh, that does look lovely. I bought some rice at an Indian grocer that is called Panni rice (I think... something similar at any rate) that we have fallen in love with. It would be great in that. Now I just need to find something to use all that motor oil in...

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:26 pm 

Adding saffron to anthing I consider 'talkin' dirty to me' and I love it!! Sounds fabulous. Will fer shure give it a go.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:35 am 

Thanks for posting Wino....looks fabulous and I cannot wait to try it. Might serve it with some grilled shrimp.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:28 am 

I should point out that I like strong flavors. You might want to halve the spices or double the amount of rice and water the first time. I've made it so long that I've crept up the flavor content . . . :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:58 pm 

Sounds great.

I also love cooking rice in coconut water. Have such a lovely taste and fragrance. I especially love it with Jasmine rice, but any will do.