Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for Bon Appetit Buttescotch Pudding recipe
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:13 am 
Site Admin

Tim,

You are my hero. And the Lincoln library!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:25 am 

Todd, in all fairness public libraries are understaffed and overworked these days. When I worked at the Evanston library it could take a full day to get a fax to someone, especially if it was for something that had to be dug out of storage. And if the patron told us it was urgent we would try to deal with as soon as we could, but the patron in front of us tended to get dealt with first.
I think it's amazing that we have these repositories of information that we can call up and have someone else find for us and send to us. Not to mention that if I had to buy every book I read I would be bankrupt.
Interesting technique on the pudding though-it's really a baked custard. Puddings being thickened with starch on the top of the stove and all.
(which is why CI's quick version of pots de creme pisses me off. They make a totally different product, put it in the same serving dishes and call it pots de creme.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:27 am 

Given the tremendous differences in scotch flavors, I would suppose a very mild scotch blend would be recommnded as opposed to some single malt, peaty, smoky monster. Having said that, I would also recommendd using a scotch with as low an alcohol rating as possible. In both matters - less is more. If this all makes sense and you're in agreement, the big bonus would then be that the cheapest scotch should be perfect. Your thoughts??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:13 pm 

BeckyH wrote:
I think it's amazing that we have these repositories of information that we can call up and have someone else find for us and send to us.

What is this stuff about "send to us" mean? I went to the Lincoln Library and got the magazine from the stacks. The Lincoln Library is really budget deprived with the closing of three branches and laying off of the employees most recently hired. Last week they laid off the most recent hire; she had worked there for over 20 years.

BeckyH wrote:
I think it's amazing that we have these repositories of information that we can call up and have someone else find for us and send to us.
(which is why CI's quick version of pots de creme pisses me off. They make a totally different product, put it in the same serving dishes and call it pots de creme.)

Becky,

Don't get me started on CI habit of misrepresenting recipes as authentic. I prefer to think of them as stealing recipes from Sandra Lee.

Their recipe breakthrough on "Caldo Verde" was to use Kale; they conveniently forgot that "Caldo" means Kale.

Tim
Tim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:52 pm 

Tim-
Todd was getting the recipe faxed over from his library. If you hadn't been so quick off the gun I would have found it in my stash in the basement.