Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I hate brown rice! Help!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:19 am 

Are there varieties of brown rice that taste better than others? :o
Are there better methods of cooking those better varieties that can improve them? :|
Can't I just pour a cup of soy over white rice and pretend????????????? :lol:

Thanks, I think.............. :roll:

Post subject: Re: I hate brown rice! Help!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:05 pm 

I have used brown rice in many things, and it was fine, but I don't just eat plain rice, with butter on it, or something like that.

Brown jasmine - sticky, like white jasmine, and not the same flavor as white jasmine, but better than other brown rices, IMO.

Brown basmati - not sticky, and better flavor than others, but not quite as good as jasmine.

My way of making jamine more nutritious, is to cook it with millet - one of those supergrains, with all the essential amino acids, and a lot more nutrients than rice. I have cooked millet with jasmine rice 2:1, and the flavor and aroma of the jasmine is still great! And they cook in about the same time - I just put it in the Instant Pot, on rice mode, with rice and water 1:1, and millet and water 1:1.5, and it comes out great. Goes great with the Thai food - the reason I got hooked on jamine rice originally.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:06 pm 

I think it might be an acquired taste. I love brown rice now, but not so much when I first tasted it. In fact, all rice used to make me gag (thanks, mom, for that gloppy rice you used to serve us!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:10 pm 

I love a six rice blend that I get at the Mitsuwa market. It has barley and other grains as well as three varieties of rice. Image
What about brown rice do you hate? The texture or the taste? If it’s texture, try changing how you cook it. Baking it can work well, and changing the ratio of rice and water can also help.
If you just don’t like the taste, do try the jasmine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:38 pm 

I love white rice, any long grain kind as long as it is fluffy and not sticky. I make all my rice in the IP pretty much the same way. Not crazy about brown, but ok with sauce over it. I rinse all my rices really well, then add fresh water using the same Pyrex measuring cup I used to measure the rice. The ratio for brown is 1 part rice and 1.25 water. 22 minutes on high with at least 10 minutes Natural Pressure Release (NPR), though I usually let it go all the way. I always add kosher salt and 1 TBS. bacon grease and/or coconut oil, but not necessary. For long grain white and Jasmine I use a 1=1 ratio and for Basmati a 1=1.5 ratio rice to water. The whites cook for 4 minutes. The rice setting in the IP cooks at low pressure for about 12 minutes unless you have huge quantities of rice, then is more. It is only intended for white rice. I use it for long grain white if I'm not in a hurry. Steve makes food for our 106 lbs. Goldendoodle in the IP. He uses Trader Joe's quick cook brown rice in the mix so that one only takes 5 minutes. The dog's food is very good, though not seasoned. Steve usually has a bowl when he first make is. I don't really care for it since it has lots of stuff I'm not fond of eating such as turkey, sweet potatoes, etc. Still the rice comes out really well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:17 am 
Site Admin

We buy "half-brown rice", also known as "haiga rice" . It's a sticky short-grain Asian rice, with most-but-not-all of the bran removed. This gives us some of the nutrional benefits of brown rice (and nutty flavor) while being able to use it with the same recipes as white sushi rice ... including making sushi.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:20 am 

Many thanks to all of you, I am working through them and will report back - life got a little 'busy' recently :roll: :lol: