Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garlic Scapes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:40 am 

I made Pesto using Garlic Scapes, Almonds, Parmigiano, Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper. It was amazing. The sad thing is my friends who are growing the garlic were just throwing the scapes away until I rescued them.

Post subject: Re: Garlic Scapes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:46 am 

I had to look up what a garlic scape was. I have tried to grow garlic in the past without much sucess. How do the scapes taste are they a milder garlic flavor? And how are they harvested, in other words where do they grow on the garlic, I'm unclear on this part?

Laurie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:42 pm 

From Dorie's site.

Scapes are the wild and curly shoots that spring from the tops of garlic plants. They're brilliantly green, can be thick or thin, curved or corkscrewed, and, depending on how they're cut, just long or very long. They've got a mild garlic fragrance and a mellow garlic flavor. Smell the cut end or snap one and the scent will be a cross between garlic and summer grass. It's got a freshness that garlic loses as it develops.
The scapes, which look as beautiful in the garden as they do at the market, are meant to be cut -- cutting them strengthens the garlic bulbs that are growing underground -- so it's a win-win for the garlic and us, the cooks. Although scapes needn't be cooked. In fact, if you do cook them, you should cook them lightly, maybe in a quick stir-fry.
I think you get the most from garlic scapes by using them raw. They're terrific chopped or very thinly sliced added to a tuna or chicken salad, stirred into hot rice or scattered over a salad, the way you might scatter sliced scallions or an herb.
And they're wonderful as the base of a chunky pesto, which is how I used them last night. (As I was making the pesto, I thought of the weed pesto my friend Carol Lewitt had brought me -- I think they might be cousins.) I was going to put the pesto over quickly grilled scallops, but it seemed to cry out for pasta, so it got stirred into penne. At least the part that was left after my husband stopped dipping bread into it got mixed with the pasta. But he had the right idea -- because the pesto is chunky and so bright tasting, a spoonful on a hunk of bread makes a really good nibble with white wine.
I was going to say that it's too bad that the scape moment doesn't coincide with tomato season, since they're be stupendous together, but then I realized I can make them coincide: Garlic scape pesto is freezable!

GARLIC SCAPE AND ALMOND PESTO
Makes about 1 cup
10 garlic scapes, finely chopped
1/3 to 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (to taste and texture)
1/3 cup slivered almonds (you could toast them lightly, if you'd like)
About 1/2 cup olive oil
Sea salt
Put the scapes, 1/3 cup of the cheese, almonds and half the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor (or use a blender or a mortar and pestle). Whir to chop and blend all the ingredients and then add the remainder of the oil and, if you want, more cheese. If you like the texture, stop; if you'd like it a little thinner, add some more oil. Season with salt.
If you're not going to use the pesto immediately, press a piece of plastic against the surface to keep it from oxidizing. The pesto can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days or packed airtight and frozen for a couple of months, by which time tomatoes should be at their juciest.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:29 pm 

Great info, thanks for the lesson on Scapes. I'm going to Blackstone Farms next wednesday and I'm going to see if by chance they have them in their Farmers Market there. I have all the ingredients except the scapes.

Laurie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Todd,

I love scapes! Pity they're so hard to find. Good move claiming them from your neighbor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:36 pm 

We used them for the first time this summer. In a stir fry, they seemed to need a fair amount of cooking to tender up.

It seems like you all have used them raw. Mine would have been too tough, maybe they were harvested differently.

eb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:08 am 

Hi,

We tried growning garlic with very little success; the soil was too heavy to grow nice bulbs. Fortunately we never missed the bulbs because we had wonderful greens which are even better than scapes. The greens are one good reason to grow garlic and the scapes are an end of season bonus.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:35 pm 

I just received a call from a friend of mine who said that the Garlic Scapes will be ready next week and I can have as many as I want. Last year they delivered them to me in a Garbage bag and I ended up taking more than I could use. I only need to get some Parm Cheese and I will be all set to make some Garlic Scape Pesto.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Todd,

I picked up some of these at the farmer's market this year, and made pasta with garlic scapes, fava beans, and goat cheese. It was quite good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:14 pm 

It's that time of year again. I already have Cheese, Oil and Pistachios.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.