Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ottolenghi's slow cooked chicken with garlic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:46 am 

Made this last night while I was vac-packing a tray of thighs from Costco. Absolutely easy and very delicious, but it stains.
Mix in a large glass or metal bowl, it stained my white plastic one and my white dish cloths :x . Being on a low-carb diet, we skipped the pasta and had it with veges :D

Slow-cooked chicken with bucatini (and lots of garlic)
By Yotam Ottolenghi in The Guardian, Feb. 4, 2017

Bucatini is a thick, hollow spaghetti. You can find it in large supermarkets and Italian delicatessens, but if you can’t get hold of any, penne makes the best alternative. It won’t look the same, but it’s better to stick with a tubed pasta, rather than use spaghetti, so the garlic, spices and cooking juices can find their way into the pasta. Serves four generously.

8 large chicken thighs, skin on and bone in (about 1.1kg in total)
1 Tbp olive oil
1 tsp hot paprika
1½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
15 garlic cloves, peeled
2 beef tomatoes, roughly chopped
3 tbsp lemon juice
350g bucatini
10g flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped

Put the chicken in a large bowl with the oil, paprika, allspice, turmeric and a teaspoon of salt. Toss to coat, then leave to marinate for 10 minutes.

Put a large, heavy-based casserole for which you have a lid on a medium-high heat. Lay in the chicken skin side down and fry for 10 minutes (there is no need to add any oil to the pan), turning regularly, until golden brown all over. Turn the heat to low and add the whole garlic cloves, tomatoes, lemon juice and two tablespoons of water. Pop on the lid and leave to cook slowly for 45 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked through.

Fifteen minutes before the chicken is cooked, fill a large pot with water, salt generously and bring to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, then drain and return to its pot.

Once the chicken is done, transfer both it and the garlic cloves to a plate. Pour the remaining contents of the casserole over the pasta and toss to combine. Return the chicken to the casserole skin side down and lay the soft garlic in between. Pour all the pasta and cooking juices on top, cover the pot and leave to cook on a low heat for another 45 minutes.

Transfer the pasta to a shallow serving bowl, then stir in the parsley. Arrange the chicken on top skin side up (some of the skin may have stuck to the base of the pan, but don’t worry), then pour over the garlic and cooking juices, and serve.

Post subject: Re: Ottolenghi's slow cooked chicken with garlic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:53 pm 

That sounds really good. Picked up some thighs!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:57 am 

This does sound good. I wonder if I could make it way through and freeze it half before the last 45 min cook. It looks lovely. Making half would be fine but it would be nice to have it ready in the freezer as well. I will look for this in the books so I am bookmark it.

Wino, what veggies did you use? I am still not eating enough, so I try not to "waste" stomach space on things like white pasta right now. If I eat it, it has to to fairly good for me. I am thinking root veggies because of the length of the cooking time.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:05 am 

Generally, we follow a low-carb diet so the first time I made this I followed original recipe - the one I posted because I try to follow recipes exactly before I 'improve' them ;) - an old habit I developed when I was a test cook for CI.

I made this again last night using 9 thighs, bone-in & skin on. However, I followed my earlier suggestion of using a large Pyrex bowl instead of my white Tupperware - this was MUCH easier and no staining. Also, I shortened the cook time to a straight 75 minutes at a very low heat. This can be ridiculously low with my new induction so my description to others using gas or electric would be that I had a discernable bubble - a low simmer, if you will. So, this time was determined by the poke&prod method, supplemented by the instant read Thermapen :!:

Last, because of the low-carb, we decided on cold veges on the side. I served celery, red and yellow peppers, cucumbers and avocados all drizzled with a oil& vinegar type dressing and a big red wine (there are no carbs in wine once you open the bottle) :lol: . Very excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:53 pm 

I am going to make this tonight. I am still pondering veggies. I am thinking onions and peppers in with the thighs because I don't want to waste the sauce. I may put 1/2" C of whole grain couscous in as well. We don't each many carbs but we aren't strictly no-carb. Maybe some steamed broccoli in the side as well.

I got BOBO leg quarters in my local mega-mart this week and I am going get 5 meals of it for $6.20. It makes me feel less guilty for how much money we spend eating out. :) This will be two meals (four thighs each). I lollipoped (most of) the legs and half are in the smoker and half are in a ziplock and will be a chicken, apricot and almond slow cooker tangine. Two whole quarters are braising in my Breville to take to my Dad in an hour or so. Not bad for $6!

--Lisa

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:24 pm 

That looks great! But then, I'm a sucker for anything with that much garlic in it. And I've got a bunch of 4 packs of thighs in the freezer, which I vacuum pack when Aldi has a deal on them (one time 49¢/lb!). Definitely my favorite piece of poultry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:30 pm 

This was very good, but could have been better. I ended up searing the thighs before marinating and poured off an inch of fat. I then marinated and re-seared. I added a handful of ditalini, a half a bag of carrots and couple of mini sweet peppers and that was our side dish for half of the thighs. I froze the other half of the chicken for next week.

How it could be better... I think next time I will do the second cook in the oven with the chicken on top of the sauce/veg mix a la chicken canzanese so that I get crisp skin. I thought that was a missed opportunity here. The flavor was great but I don't like flabby chicken skin.

--Lisa