Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Tried and true IP/Pressure Cooker Recipes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 pm 

Looks great! I'll have to try this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:52 am 

Thanks for this Carey!
I made this the other night using a 2 pound pack of stewing beef so reduced the time to 22 minutes but I'd go to 18 next time as I think it was overdone. Made the meat and sauce the night before and just rewarmed then next day and assembled the enchiladas. This was a hit.
http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pre ... nchiladas/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:55 am 

cmd2012 wrote:
I made this the other day and it was delicious! It's the one I posted on the FB page. I omitted the bacon when I made it just because I didn't have any, and it was still awesome.

Bone-In Beef Short Ribs
http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com

I made this twice too based on your f/b post. I used bacon the 2nd time but that batch is in the freezer for another day's meal. We really enjoyed it and I'll make it again. Had never made short ribs so was new all around.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:13 pm 

I tried the http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com Thai Chicken thighs the other night http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-thai-chicken-thighs/.

It was edible, but I found I had to doctor it quite a bit at the end to make it tasty (it needed more acid, more sweet, and a whole lot more heat, and I found it quite salty). And 9 minutes was too long for my chicken thighs - they were more than a bit rubbery. That said, I did a pot in pot rice with it and it was a quick weeknight meal. I'd make it again, with a few tweaks:

Pressure Cooker Thai Chicken Thighs

Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients
1 – 2 tablespoon canola oil
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed (about 8)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoons freeze dried cilantro (I didn't have this, so I added fresh cilantro in at the end)
2 tablespoons lime juice (I added more at the end)
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I supplemented with a healthy dose of Sriracha at the end)
1 teaspoon ground ginger (I used fresh ginger as I have some in the jar)
1 tablespoon corn starch (my sauce was plenty thick, so I skipped the corn starch finish)
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
green onions, chopped for garnish, optional

Directions
Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pressure cooker pot, select Browning. When oil is hot, brown the meat in small batches, do not crowd the pot. Set the browned chicken on a platter.

When all the chicken is browned, add chicken broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, cilantro, lime juice, red pepper and ginger. Stir to combine.

Add the browned chicken to the pot, along with any juices that have collected on the platter.

Cover pot and lock lid in place.

Select High Pressure and 9 minutes cook time. (It will take about 10 minutes to reach high pressure.)

After 9 minutes cook time, turn off pressure cooker and use a quick pressure release. Remove chicken thighs from the pot leaving the sauce.

In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water. Add cornstarch mixture to the sauce in the pot stirring constantly. Select Simmer and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. After sauce thickens, add chicken thighs and coat with the sauce.

Serve garnished with chopped peanuts and green onions.

Notes
If you're using a natural peanut butter or if your sauce is too thick before pressure cooking, add additional chicken broth. If using natural peanut butter, you'll need to add some sweetener to the recipe.

Carey's notes about the recipe: I think the sauce needed some garlic. I also thought the soy sauce was way too strong. Between it and the chicken broth this was salty. It really just tasted like soy sauce mixed with peanut butter when I first opened it up and tasted it. So I finished it with quite a bit of Sriracha, more lime juice, and a couple tbsp of brown sugar (which I expected to do as I used natural peanut butter). Even still, it was just ok. With steamed broccoli it was a 6/10 weeknight meal, with easy cleanup. I'm giving more thought to tweaks because of the easy factor and because Chris said that he liked it in theory, if not exactly in execution.

Carey's notes about pot in pot rice: I did jasmine rice in a 1 quart souffle dish as a pot in pot on my trivet. 1 cup rice to 1 1/4 cups water. Salt, and a pat of butter. Uncovered. It was pretty good, but not quite as fluffy as my normal method (I was too lazy to rinse the rice, so that would probably have helped). But here's my advice: the pot in pot gets SLIPPERY from the grease splatter that comes up from the boiling sauce. I have silicone oven mitts and had plenty of room to get my fingers in to grip the dish, and it slipped like a greased pig out of my hands and crashed back down into my pot (didn't break thank goodness!). I ended up having to wiggle it to the side of the pot so that I could get my thumb underneath it (worrying about scratching my pot the whole time). Next time I would use a foil sling because I dropped the stupid thing three times before I was able to get it out.

Last edited by cmd2012 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:17 pm 

jeanf wrote:
Thanks for this Carey!
I made this the other night using a 2 pound pack of stewing beef so reduced the time to 22 minutes but I'd go to 18 next time as I think it was overdone. Made the meat and sauce the night before and just rewarmed then next day and assembled the enchiladas. This was a hit.

Yeah, I'm finding the times are tending to run a little long in many of the recipes I've tried.

Glad to hear that the short ribs turned out for you! I have some in the freezer, along with a batch of the Asian Short ribs. Both will end up on rotation here too (although short ribs used to be cheap, and now they're $$$!).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 am 

Risotto with Asparagus and Peas

1 small Onion, 2 ounces
2 Tbs Unsalted Butter
1 cup Arborio Rice
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken stock or broth
6-7 slender asparagus spears, in 1 bias slices
1/2 cup Tiny peas (thawed)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 Tbs minced fresh parsley, preferably flat leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Bring broth to a simmer on stove.

Place Removable Pot in Pressure Cooker. Add butter.

Press the COOK MODE Button for BROWN. Press the START/STOP buttom.

Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, stirring, until absorbed.

Pour in stock and stir to mix. Place lid on cooker. Slide Safety Lock to LOCK position.

Turn the Pressure Regulator knob to PRESSURE.

Press the PRESSURE MODE Button for HIGH PRESSURE.

Press the COOK TIME Button until 7 minutes apppears on the display.

Press START/STOP Button until the Green Indicator Light appears. The red HIGH PRESSURE Indicator Light will blink

slowly and then faster as the cooking countdown begins; the Pressure Indicator will rise as the pressure builds. After

cooking under pressure 7 minutes, the Pressure Cooker will beep three times. Press and hold the START/STOP Button until Red Indicator illluminates.

When time is up, immediately press and hold down the Quick Release Button. Steam will emit from the Steam Release Valve. The

Pressure Indicator will drop when all the steam has been released. Slide the Safety Lock to UNLOCK position and remove

the lid. Stir in the Asparagus, peas, cheese and parsley and salt and pepper.

Source
Author: New Pressure Cooker Cookbook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:00 pm 

I made a batch of Lablabi - Tunisian chick pea soup. I used the recipe from seriouseats, adding a cup of red quinoa and a half cup of red lentils, since I like things thicker.
http://m.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/1 ... -soup.html

I soaked the chick peas in brine for about 4 hours, rinsed, and put it in the Instant Pot, with 9 c water, then set it to 50 min. on manual, letting pressure release naturally. Meanwhile, I cooked the onion and garlic, with the cumin, and when the chick peas were ready, I stirred in the onion mash, quinoa, and red lentils, and set it to 10 more min. manual, letting the pressure release naturally. I added the lemon juice, adjusted the salt, and served with some of that harissa I just made (the reason that I made this dish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:29 pm 

Another quick weeknight meal. The only change I made was that I followed hippressurcooking's time chart and did the thighs for 10 minutes with natural release. They were perfectly done. Also, I forgot to remove the skin. It was not an issue. They crisped up just fine under the broiler. Served with rice and veg.

[http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/asian-chicken-thighs]

Asian Chicken Thighs
Yield: Serves 8

Ingredients
8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 13⁄4 pounds), skinned
1 cup water
1/2 hoisin sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
2 tablespoons sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
cooking spray
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
lime wedges (optional)

Preparation
1. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Combine 1 cup water and next 8 ingredients (through sesame oil) in a large bowl. Add chicken, turning to coat. Place chicken mixture in a 6-quart Instant Pot. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Turn the steam release handle to ͞Sealing͟ position. Press [Manual]; select ͞High Pressure͟, and use [-] or [+] to choose 17 minutes pressure cooking time. When time is up, turn cooker off. Open the cooker using Quick Pressure Release. (I did 10 minutes with natural release and it was perfect).

2. While chicken mixture cooks, preheat broiler.

3. Line a jelly-roll pan with foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Remove chicken from cooker with tongs, and place on prepared pan. Broil chicken 3 minutes on each side or until crisp and lightly charred. (I only cooked the skin side up).

4. While chicken broils, press [Sauté] on cooker, and use [Adjust] to select ͞More͟ mode. Bring cooking liquid to a boil; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thick. (Mine took 15 minutes to be right)

5. Sprinkle chicken with scallions and cilantro; serve with sauce and, if desired, lime wedges.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 pm 

jeanf wrote:
Thanks for this Carey!

I find 15 minutes is about right for stew beef chunks. Looks like a good recipe!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6