Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tried and true IP/Pressure Cooker Recipes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:50 pm 

IP YOGURT

Do not use ultra pasteurized milk if possible. I use TJ's organic whole and it works really well. I used Fage plain full fat the first time. After that I saved 4 TBS. from good batch (use 2 per ½ gallon) and freeze. When I use that, I save 4 TBS. more from next batch. I flavor as I eat it, but mostly use it plain, often in place of sour cream in recipes.

5 stars - Really good and so easy.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 9 hours
Inactive Time: 8 hours and 30 minutes
Total Time: 18 hours

64 oz. whole milk
2 TBS. greek yogurt

Pour milk into the liner. Put lid on with clean seal, push yogurt button and then adjust button and it will say boil When it signals done - check it with your thermometer. If the milk is not up to 180° degrees. Run cycle again if milk is not up to 180° F.

Set liner on counter in ice bath to cool. 115° I let it drop to 113° just to be SURE it was cooled well. But don't cool below 110° - that's too cool to get the process going. Whisk it before you take the temp this helps to dispel hot spots, I let it get down to at least 113 stir and check the temp in 3 different spots. Then whisk in your starter, don't be shy, you want to make sure it is well mixed in and aerated, this helps get the yogurt party started per se. Put liner back in pot, push yogurt button and let incubate for 8 hours. .

After it is done I pour it into the strainer and put the strainer in the fridge. I check the next morning (6-10 hours) to see if it is desired thickness. If too thick I stir some of the whey back in. Transfer yogurt to containers ( I used Pyrex round 2 cup lidded bowls) and store the whey ( I used a quart mason jar). They last 3 weeks on the bottom shelf of my fridge. Both yogurt and whey can be frozen. Reserve some of the yogurt to start next batch.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Greek Yogurt, Instant Pot, Instant Pot Forum, Yogurt

Author: Andrea Potts
Source: Instant Pot Facebook Group
Web Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Instant ... cation=ufi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:37 pm 

Easy Pressure Cooked Beef Dip Sandwiches
(this was from a facebook post so I'm not sure who the author was, but as promised, it's easy and good)

Season a 3-5 lb chuck roast with some salt and cracked black pepper. Heat pot on saute mode, and add in some vegetable oil. Brown the roast well on each side. Remove from pot. Saute 3 sliced yellow onions until golden brown. Add in 3 chopped cloves of garlic and a cup each of beef broth and red wine. Add the roast back in. Cook on high Pressure for 90-100 mins, let it NPR. (for a 3 lb roast I would do 80 - 90 minutes; 100 minutes is probably better for a larger roast).

Take the meat out and strain and defat the jus (I used my fat separator to do this). Put the jus back in and thicken the jus on saute. Shred the beef and mix in the onions. Add the onions and the shredded beef back into the pot to keep warm.

Butter some chicken rolls and broil them with the meat and cheese (sharp cheddar) and then top with horseradish sauce and sliced pepperoncinis.

My note: I toasted multi-grain ciabatta rolls and then buttered them, topped them with the meat and sharp Gruyere cheese, and used a bit of mayo mixed with horseradish as a condiment. Be very sparing with the horseradish unless you love it, as it gets much stronger when heated. Then I broiled the rolls (open faced) until the cheese was melted and bubbly and a little brown. Flip back into sandwiches and serve with extra jus on the side for dipping. If you want a lot of dipping jus, you might want to up the wine and broth amounts.

The beef freezes really well, and is unflavoured enough (you don't really taste the wine in the beef - it's just really beefy with a hint of onion) that it would be good in tacos, burritos, marinara sauce for a quick ragu, or anywhere else you'd fancy using shredded beef.

Last edited by cmd2012 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:50 pm 

Carey - Great idea, thanks for doing the hard work it looks wonderful :D :!:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:51 pm 

Tip I learned on FB that really works: If you open the pot to check progress or add in quicker cooking ingredients to a soup or stew, to make it easier to get the lid back on, run the lid under cold water until it is cool to the touch. Dry it with a towel, and it will go back on almost as easily as it does when the pot is cool.

This has helped my frustration levels immensely, as before I learned this, I had a devil of a time getting the lid back on once the pot was hot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:12 pm 

Thanks for all of this! I'm really learning how to better use my Instant Pot. I did mashed potatoes (whole, russet) with a half a cup of cream and 1/4 c of water and salt and mashed them in their own liquid (10 minutes, cut, 12 minutes whole with NPR) and a bit of butter. They were good. Deb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:32 pm 

wino wrote:
Carey - Great idea, thanks for doing the hard work it looks wonderful :D :!:

You're welcome! I'm off today and was browsing our board for inspiration when it occurred to me that it would be great to have everything in one place. I'm excited to try everyone's recipes. I'm also excited that so many good cooks have instant pots now, because who better to come up with great ideas?

And if anyone doesn't have one but wants one, Amazon has one for $89 on the US site and $119 on the Canadian site. Both with Prime shipping. It's a new version with multiple heat settings for sauté/slow cook, and cake and egg programs. I'm tempted (is it excessive to have 2 electric pressure cookers?).

I'm testing a baby back rib recipe now. If it's good I'll post it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:37 pm 

Carey - it is normal in many countries to have multiple pressure cookers, usually different sizes. I have two and could use three :roll: ;) :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:01 pm 

Yay enabling! I have to give some thought to where I might store it...

Ok, the ribs are more of a method than a recipe. All serious smokers (who say to NEVER boil your ribs) should turn away.

Carey's PC Baby Back Ribs:

1 - 2 racks baby back ribs (you can do 1 rack, but they will fall into the liquid - 2 racks gives enough bulk to keep them upright)
spice rub of your choice (I used Bad Byron's Butt Rub for convenience)
BBQ sauce of your choice (tonight was Cattleboy's excellent original flavour sauce bought in bulk at Costco)

For pot:

2 cups water (could easily have done one cup instead)
sprinkle of rub
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
good splash of liquid smoke (maybe a tbsp or two)

Sprinkle ribs with rub. Cut ribs in half, then place standing on end in the liquid in the pot, with the thickest side down. Cook on high for 20 - 25 minutes (depending on the size of your ribs). I did 25 minutes but they were just a tiny bit too 'fall off the bone' and would do 20 next time. NPR 15 - 20 minutes and then QR.

While the ribs are cooking, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, place a heat safe cooling rack on top. I have some from Lee Valley that are designed to cook bacon on that work well for this, and are dishwasher safe. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees on convection roast (if your oven has it), or 400 degrees on regular bake if not.

Carefully lift ribs out of the pot (they are very soft and tender when hot and prone to breaking in half). Place meat side down on the rack and brush with BBQ sauce. Flip meat side up, brush again with BBQ sauce and crisp in oven for 5 - 10 minutes.

Serve with coleslaw (or sides of choice) and lots of napkins.

These are much more tender than what I can accomplish with smoking on the Big Green Egg, even using the 3-2-1 method. I also like that more of the fat renders out, while still leaving them tender and juicy. The only thing missing is the smoke. The liquid smoke left a very subtle flavor, and was worth putting in, but most of the flavour came from the rub and BBQ sauce in the water (the meat was nicely seasoned all the way through, despite not being brined). I would definitely make these often as a weeknight meal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:16 pm 

Thanks Carey, posted my IP recipes below. I have a 6 qt. and an 8 qt. and highly recommend getting an 8 qt. first. Then if you find you need two, then get the 6 qt.

The most helpful tip I got when I got my IP was to set it on Saute while preping my ingredients even if they don't need to be sauteed. It will come to pressure faster. See recipe below.

FWIW, I'm posting the Black Bean IP recipe below as it varies slightly from the original one for stove top, mainly I now never soak beans.

BLACK BEANS MAMI'S*****

Small blue bowl=5.55 oz=20.37g Protein Can add a TBS. of sherry vinegar before serving. Can be frozen for a long time. For 1 cup dry beans use 2¼ cups water.

Servings: 8

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large Spanish onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut in half
salt to taste
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
1 6" cinnamon stick
1 piece kombu
2 bay leaves
1 lb. dry black beans
4½ cups water

Wash and seed bell pepper and cut in quarters. (You can chop it you prefer). Dice onion and peel and mash garlic with a bit of salt.

For the IP for every 1 cup of dry beans, use 2.25 cups water. 25 minutes with NPR (for at least 10 minutes before releasing pressure) Beans/Chili" button defaults to 30 minutes, but has two other presets in it, so if you press "Adjust" you will get 40 minutes, and again you will get 25 minutes

Turn IP on to Sauté, adjust to high, and put enough olive oil to cover bottom of liner (I use CA Ranch garlic olive oil) Add the diced onions and bell pepper. Let it cook while you rinse and drain the beans. Add the garlic, salt and oregano and stir.

Add beans, and rest of ingredients. Add water per amount above. More if you prefer soupy beans. Cover and cook at high pressure for 25 minutes Use a minimum of 10 minutes NPR. I let it completely NPR.
For extra-tender and creamy beans, allow pressure to release naturally. For firmer beans, release after 10 minutes.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Beans, Bell Peppers, BEST, Cuban Food, Grandma Hilia, Onions, Printed, Side Dish

Author: Grandma Hilia
Web Page: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/how- ... beans.html

Last edited by Cubangirl on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:55 am 

Love this topic, Carey! I like using my pressure cookers and IP, makes life simpler for me.
I'll comb thru my PC recipes over the next couple days and post those that have been the best. Here's my first:

Cajun Red Beans & Rice

1/2 lb (1 cup) dried red beans
2 cups water
1 1-½ lb. ham hock
4 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, stemmed, cored and finely chopped
3 bay leaves
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp black pepper
11/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1/2 lb sausage

Wash, sort and soak beans, see Bean Tips for soaking methods.

In a 4-quart or larger pressure cooker, add soaked, drained beans, water, celery, onion, green bell pepper, bay leaves, white pepper, dried thyme, garlic powder, cayenne, black pepper and Tabasco sauce.

Allow ingredients to come to a boil, stirring often.

Add ham hock.

Close lid and bring pressure to second red ring over high heat. Adjust heat to stabilize pressure at second red ring. Cook for 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and use Natural Release Method.

Remove ham hock and let cool.

While ham hock is cooling, slice sausage into 1/4-inch pieces and brown in a skillet.

Remove ham from bone.

Add sausage and ham to the bean mixture.

Close lid and bring pressure to second red ring over high heat. Adjust heat to stabilize pressure at second red ring. Cook for 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and use Natural Release Method.

Discard bay leaves.

Serve over white rice.

Yield: Serves 4 to 6

Source
Source: Kuhn Rikon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next