Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sous Vide Corn on the Cob?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:45 pm 

Can it be?
I think I'll finally break out my Anova and give it a try.

Here's the recipe:
https://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=0h6or72isv5cc

Post subject: Re: Sous Vide Corn on the Cob?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:49 am 

Linda, I saw that too last night and printed it out! Hard to believe that corn could be better than Ina's sautéed corn recipe (my go-to), so please report back once you've tried it. My Anova is still in the box, as it's supposed to be a birthday gift in November. However it dawned me the other day that I will lose 4 months of the warranty if I don't break it out now. Seems logical to me...

Emilie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:56 am 

"My Anova is still in the box, as it's supposed to be a birthday gift in November. However it dawned me the other day that I will lose 4 months of the warranty if I don't break it out now. Seems logical to me..."

Any excuse will do, after all. (snicker)

Sauteed corn is my go-to as well; it was the way my Mom always served it and I find it hard to beat. Once on a vacation we parked some fresh corn in the extra fridge and forgot about it. When we found it, I sautéed it up and it was wonderful anyway.
But I will pick up some nice corn and give the Anova a try, I'm embarrassed that it has been unused for so long.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:17 am 

I love sous-vide corn. It is extra corny. I also love sauteed corn, corn grill naked and corn grilled husk-on. Just plain old boiled corn is even ok, though not a favourite. They are all great, and all a different taste profile. Why stick to just one!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:01 pm 

I grill corn naked but brushed liberally with Cajun seasoned butter as it cooks. I've never had it sautéed (boiled, nuked, grilled, or canned, but not sautéed). I'll have to give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:28 am 

I love corn, on the cob or sauteed. However, I tend to like certain things plain (e.g. popcorn just salt no butter) and on the cob is one I prefer with just a little salt (maybe truffle salt). If it is good, not even butter. I enjoyed some last night, on the cob, in the microwave husk and all for 90 seconds, opened it like a banana and salted it. It was great. So what makes sous vide corn so good that it is worth the wait? TIA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:13 am 

Aha! Truffle Salt! An ingredient I don't have.
So, Alina, where did you get yours and what brand is it? Is it really good?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:01 am 

I bought some this Truffle Salt after reading a recipe on one of the forums. The day after I got the order, I saw it at TJ's much cheaper. Have not tasted them side by side to compare but plan to do so. I've keep forgetting I have it. One of my favorite quick things are the microwaveable fingerlings in a bag TJ's has, with a splash of truffle oil, salt and chopped fresh tarragon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:15 am 

Can I ask which truffle oil it is that you use?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:24 am 

Cubangirl wrote:
So what makes sous vide corn so good that it is worth the wait? TIA

It's not worth the wait; I would never do it if I had to wait for it. But if I'm home the requisite time before supper, I may well do it, especially if I'm not firing up the grill for another reason, or the weather sucks.

It is very corny. Every prep of corn tastes a little (or sometimes a lot) different. I like most of them, but tastes vary and I wouldn't say any one was definitively better then the others.

SV should never be about waiting. It's like a braise: You don't wait for a braise, you start it early. If you can't start it early, you do something else instead. SV has one big advantage: Many, many preps can be done in two steps. So, you can cook 10 pork chops SV, refrigerate (or freeze). When you want one, warm it under the tap (or thaw) and finish sear, only a few minutes. Veg is much more sensitive to sitting, even cooked, so may or may not work so well (I do this a lot though with hardy veg, like beets or carrots). So you do the big cook one time, letting it take its sweet time to do the cook, and then just 'retherm' and sear. re-therm can usually be done with tap water unless it was very big cut of meat. The food needs to stay in the bag, sealed, for all this; it is pasteurized in there (assuming a longer cook at or over 55 C), and will keep extremely well (though refrigeration is required) as long as it is not opened.