Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food Lab recipe for meatloaf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:16 am 

Have you seen the recipe?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/the-food-lab-all-american-meatloaf-excerpt-recipe.html

Wow, it looks really good but it's w-a-y over the top in labor for me to even think about trying.

But I'd love to know if anyone else makes it.

Post subject: Re: Food Lab recipe for meatloaf
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:57 pm 

Wow, Linda, you're not kidding as far as labor/ingredient intensive! I'm going to stick with my mother's recipe that has like 8 ingredients and you just mix them all together and put it in the loaf pan. It's delicious...although it has onion soup mix in it, and that's probably scratch heresy. Which is interesting, since these days (for better or worse), I'd never buy condensed soup that's often called for in quick and easy type recipes.

And speaking of that, I was just wondering this there other day after my SIL sent me a recipe that called for cream of chicken soup -- what do you fellow scratch-obsessed cooks use when a recipe calls for that or cream of mushroom soup? (And if you use canned soups, my apology in advance for my snobbery ;). )

Emilie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:41 pm 

If I am feeling scratch obsessed, I pass on a recipe like that. In most instances I am more substitution averse than I am scratch obsessed. I do not have the kitchen skills to make a substitution for "cream of....soup " on the fly and get it right the first time and don't have the time to make and test a variation a bunch of times, so if I want to make a recipe a friend or relative has suggested, I follow the ingredient list pretty closely. I figure that one more can of CoM or CoC soup probably will not kill me.

I do not think I have made meat loaf in twenty years, but every time I see a new recipe from a trusted source I think about doing it. Fortunately, the thought flees in a couple of hours to a couple of days so I do not actually have to go through with it. That will probably happen with this recipe too. I hope the thought flees before I purchase the Marmite and can't remember what I bought it for.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:47 am 

Jim wrote " I hope the thought flees before I purchase the Marmite and can't remember what I bought it for."

Glad I'm not the only one with a horde of mystery ingredients that I can no longer recall what their original intent was.

Last edited by Linda on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:17 am 

I think mystery/oddball ingredients are the probably the bane of every serious cook's existence. I just threw away an unopened tube of anchovy paste yesterday that had been in my pantry for about a hundred years. (Even though I'd never used it, somehow some of it seeped out of the end of the tube and the box was gross...ewwww.)

Jim, thanks for your two cents on the condensed soups. You're right, I guess they won't kill me ;). And if you want a really good meatloaf that couldn't be any easier, here you go. My mother never put a glaze on hers but of course I had to gild the lily when I started making it years ago. (I have the meatloaf insert-type of loaf pan so the grease collects underneath, which is actually very cool. Of course somehow my mother's generation of cooks survived without it.)

Vera's Meatloaf:

1 pound ground beef or meatloaf mixture
1 small can tomato sauce
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 package Lipton onion soup mix
few fistfuls of regular oats (not quick)
1/2 t. dried oregano or thyme or a combination
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
Mix above ingredients and put in loaf pan. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes.
Drain grease and pour glaze on top, bake another 20 minutes or so.

Glaze:
1/4 - 1/3 cup ketchup
2 or 3 T. brown sugar
(basically I just squirt some ketchup in a bowl and add a few spoonfuls of brown
sugar, then I taste it. If it tastes really ketchup-y, I add a little more sugar)

Emilie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:22 am 

After thinking about meatloaf for a day or two I remembered this one by Bobby Flay:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobb ... ecipe.html

Haven't made it in a while but it was quite sensational for a meatloaf recipe!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:56 am 

I love CI's meatloaf with Bacon (the freeform one). I've not found any that are better. I've made subs as needed and it still it is always great and it is not fussy.Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:10 pm 

Alina, do you have that recipe in your Living Cookbook so could easily share? Normally I don't like things with bacon on top (we love bacon but only well cooked), but your pic looks like the bacon is perfect.

Emilie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:10 pm 

Alina, I am totally in your camp on this (as is my 86 year old MIL). However, I've just read Kenji's article regarding how he developed his recipe and it is very compelling - I must try it. Here's a link http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/the-food-lab-excerpt-the-best-meatloaf-recipe.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:30 pm 

Here you go. I used Convection Bake which helps crisp the bacon. The bacon is the thinner kind. If it was thick, I'd probably par cook it before I cooked the onions and cook them in the same pan. I don't usually have saltines so I use the oats. I only use x-large eggs and usually up the garlic in any CI recipe. Used Sriracha for the hot pepper sauce and TJ's ketchup.

BACON-WRAPPED MEAT LOAF WITH BROWN SUGAR - KETCHUP GLAZE***** (9 servings)

If you like, you can omit the bacon topping from the loaf. In this case, brush on half the glaze before baking and the other half during the last fifteen minutes of baking. If available at your supermarket in the meat case or by special order, you can use 2 pounds meatloaf mix in place of the ground beef, pork, and veal.

Oven Temperature: 350°F Convection Bake if possible.

Servings: 9
Yield: Serves 9 to 8

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Inactive Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours

BROWN SUGAR - KETCHUP GLAZE
3/4 cup ketchup or chili sauce
6 TBS. brown sugar
6 TBS. cider vinegar or white vinegar
MEAT LOAF
3 tsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 medium onion
3 medium cloves garlic
3 large eggs
3/4 tsp. dried thyme
3 tsp. Kosher salt
3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
3 tsp. Dijon mustard
3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3/8 tsp. hot pepper sauce
3/4 cup Greek Yogurt, whole milk or plain yogurt
1 1/2 lbs ground beef chuck
3/4 lb ground pork
3/4 lb ground veal
1 cup Saltine crackers , crushed (about 16), or quick oatmeal, or 1⅓ cups fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
6-8 ounces bacon , thin sliced (8 to 12 slices, depending on loaf shape)

Chop onions to a medium dice. Mince garlic and parsley.

Cover rimmed baking sheet with foil. Fold heavy-duty aluminum foil to form a 10 by 6-inch rectangle. Center the foil on a metal cooling rack and place the rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Poke holes in the foil with a skewer (about half an inch apart). Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Can use easy release foil and omit the spray.

For the glaze: Mix all ingredients in small saucepan; set aside.

For the meat loaf: Heat oven to 350° degrees convection bake . Heat oil in medium skillet. Add onion and garlic; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool while preparing remaining ingredients.

Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, and milk or yogurt. Add egg mixture to meat in large bowl along with crackers, parsley, and cooked onion and garlic; mix with fork until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick to bowl. (If mixture sticks, add additional milk or yogurt, a couple TBS. at a time until mix no longer sticks.)

Turn meat mixture onto work surface. With wet hands, pat mixture into approximately 9-by-5-inch loaf shape. Place on foil-lined (for easy cleanup) shallow baking pan. Brush with half the glaze, then arrange bacon slices, crosswise, over loaf, overlapping slightly and tucking only bacon tip ends under loaf,

Bake loaf until bacon is crisp and loaf registers 160° degrees, about 1 hour. Cool at least 20 minutes. Simmer remaining glaze over medium heat until thickened slightly. Slice meat loaf and serve with extra glaze passed separately.

Recipe Type: Bacon, Beef, Cook's Illustrated, Ground Beef, Ground Pork, Main Dish, Meat, Pork, Veal

Source: Cook's Illustrated 9/1996
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes ... docid=6207