Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaking of Grits
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:35 am 

Many years ago I lived in the South where grits were on every menu for every meal. I never developed a liking for them but must say I didn't really try.
Am I missing something? I try hard to like all foods (except liver and hominy and organ meat, which I won't touch). is it that grits need special treatment to be good? I'm thinking I should try the shrimp and grits recipe in CI.
Do you eat grits?

Post subject: Re: Speaking of Grits
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:19 am 

Do you like polenta? Grits are basically the same dish. It may be a texture thing. I really like the skillet shrimp and grits from CI.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:39 am 

I like grits as long as they have cheese in them. I use TJ's stone ground white corn grits. My go-to recipe is CC's baked cheese grits -- it seems to be pretty much the same thing as grits soufflé.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:09 pm 

I'm with you JesBelle. Cheese grits are great (yes, even when it's just a slice of processed cheese stirred in), but plain are kinda gross.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:30 am 

Linda wrote:
Many years ago I lived in the South where grits were on every menu for every meal. I never developed a liking for them but must say I didn't really try.
Am I missing something? I try hard to like all foods (except liver and hominy and organ meat, which I won't touch). is it that grits need special treatment to be good? I'm thinking I should try the shrimp and grits recipe in CI.
Do you eat grits?

Since you list hominy as one of the 3 foods that you won't touch, it's not surprising that you don't like grits. Hominy, coarsely ground, IS grits. More finely ground and mixed with liquid to make a dough, it is masa. They are all the same grain, maize or corn which has been treated with lye.

In the US south, grits are usually served as a side dish. I don't know why, but for breakfast they are more often served plain, but at supper, more likely to have cheese. Just an observation, not a rule. The plain ones are often either watery or gluey. I grew up on grits, and like them, but they do need something, even if it's just a lot of butter & pepper. They're kind of like plain white bread, a starchy bland filler that's only intended to be a supporting player. They absorb the flavors that you put with them.

You like corn tortillas? They are the same thing, just prepared differently so they have a different flavor. Try the shrimp & grits. It will give you a whole new perspective on hominy grits.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Mostly I find that plain grits just don't have enough flavor. Even the fancy heirloom kind (yes, there are heirloom grits, and yeah, we've made them). You need a little fat -- butter or cheese -- and salt to give some flavor to what is otherwise pretty close to a pure starch.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:22 am 

SS, thank you for your very thoughtful reply. Yes, I do like corn tortillas.
I think, as someone previously mentioned, that most of what I disliked about grits was probably the texture; with hominy, it just tasted awful to me.
So I will definitely try the shrimp and grist recipe as well as the cheesy grits
just as soon as I can find a local source for decent grits; the nearest TJ's is a 3+ hour drive from here.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:18 pm 

I would think most flavour combinations for polenta would work for grits.