Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steak, anyone?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09 pm 

I'm making a family dinner for 10 on Saturday and the birthday boy has requested surf and turf. Crab cakes are easy in my world, however the steak not-so-much. In fact I probably cook steak about once a year. Go figure. The last few times I've done it I bought a tenderloin. The first time I trimmed it myself; the second time I wised up and had the butcher do it. I used the CI recipe (Classic Roast Beef Tenderloin) that cooks it slow first in the oven and is then seared at the end, but for some reason it seemed like the second time I made that it just wouldn't get done and I felt like I was slapping raw hunks of meat on the plates. (Although my vague recollection is that the first time I made it it was amazing.)

So given all that, I'd love recommendations for any cuts/recipes. Since I'll have 9 people standing around my kitchen (and in my way :x ) toward the end of the meal prep, it can't be anything super fancy. (Although I will make Bernaise regardless of the cut. I could drink that stuff.)

TIA,

Emilie

Post subject: Re: Steak, anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:53 am 

I'm kind of confused. Are you talking steaks or a roast? When I do roasts for guests, I usually do chuck. It's tasty and it's a low-and-slow cut so I can avoid the arguments between the well-done crowd and the folks who prefer not to eat chunks of leather.

On the rare occasion that I do have a steak, I prefer a rib-eye. CI has a recipe for thick steaks similar to their roast tenderloin recipe -- bring it up to temp in the oven, then sear. The secret to success with that recipe is to take the temperature. Cooking times can vary just by storing the steaks in a different part of the fridge or letting them sit at room temperature in a cool kitchen over a warm one. I like strip steaks for salads because it's easier and quicker to slice into attractive bite-sized pieces.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:54 am 

The only way I cook steak these days is sous vide and sear. If you have the equipment, you can't beat it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:07 am 

I have a recipe that is over 30 years old that I do for groups…it is a thick (2") cut sirloin that you first grill, then roast for about 25 minutes. Sliced thin, it is fabulous. Even better the second day. I just made this on Tuesday for guests and we had steak salad last night with the left-overs. If you want this recipe, I'll be happy to send it to you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am 

Rib Steak is one of the most forgiving steaks, and well suited to doing lots as a result. For that many people though, steak is very difficult. Pretty much anything stovetop is out. Most oven-only recipes don't give steak flavour, they roast beef flavour. Most home broilers are barely strong enough for a couple of steaks, let alone a bunch. About the best bet would be reverse-sear on a grill; i.e. warm in oven, then finish on a grill, or the opposite as described by cookie is pretty good too; the advantage of reverse sear is that it is a little easier to do steaks to varied doneness, since they are finished 'interactively'.

Even SV here would be tough, with the finishing of that many being hard, though if you had a couple of pans you could do them all in 2 or 3 batches, and let the previous batches sit in a warm oven.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:31 am 

Our traditional steak for a crowd is the same one as Cookie's and I use a similar grill-roast technique. The last few times I have done the roast part low and slow on the front end and finished with the sear. I think I need to do one very soon, because the leftovers are one of the very best things I have ever put on lettuce.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:53 am 

Thanks so much for the replies. I had thought perhaps rib eye might be a good option (and I haven't yet entered the SV world, so that's out). But the Cookie and Jim option sounds perfect. I'm not really worried about having different levels of doneness -- everyone at this table will be fine with medium. So I would love to get that recipe. Thanks again!

Emilie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:06 am 

JesBelle wrote:
I'm kind of confused. Are you talking steaks or a roast? When I do roasts for guests, I usually do chuck. It's tasty and it's a low-and-slow cut so I can avoid the arguments between the well-done crowd and the folks who prefer not to eat chunks of leather.

On the rare occasion that I do have a steak, I prefer a rib-eye. CI has a recipe for thick steaks similar to their roast tenderloin recipe -- bring it up to temp in the oven, then sear. The secret to success with that recipe is to take the temperature. Cooking times can vary just by storing the steaks in a different part of the fridge or letting them sit at room temperature in a cool kitchen over a warm one. I like strip steaks for salads because it's easier and quicker to slice into attractive bite-sized pieces.

I was talking about steak, JesBelle, even though I guess a tenderloin is considered a roast. But is it "steak" when it's cut into filets? No clue. I often do beef dishes like chuck roast and boeuf bourguignon, but anything that qualifies as straight steak hasn't typically lived up to our expectations. So that's why I've ended up rarely attempting it. Maybe because we're not big grillers. However I got a Chef Alarm a while back so monitoring the temp of whatever I do will be way more reliable.

Anyway I would love to get that CI recipe if you don't mind sharing. That way I'll have two reliable recipes in my arsenal :)

Emilie