Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rotisserie Chickens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:44 am 

Hereabouts, the very best rotisserie chickens come from Costco.
I'd like to make a really good one like at home but I don't know what they use to glaze theirs (I'm told their chickens come to them already prepared).
Does anyone have a really good recipe for a glaze or a rub or a marinade that makes a great chicken?
BTW, if you've never had their chicken while it's still warm, it's amazingly better than after it's been refrigerated, even for a short time.

Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Chickens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:47 am 

Completely agree, though in Regina, SK Canada we don't see a glaze - I believe it is more like a seasoned brine as it is relatively salty. BTW, I always use my pressure cooker to make broth from the carcass - outstanding :!: :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:16 am 

Careful taste testing and Google lead me to believe that rotisserie chicken is generally injection brined and dry rubbed. Little rivers of seasoned fat basting the chickens for the cooking cycle do the rest and is probably the main reason the experience cannot be duplicated at home.

From a Washington Post article.
Quote:
Costco uses a single producer, Pilgrim’s Pride, which marinates via injection, trusses and packs 10 birds to a case. The chickens look like pale, plump ghosts as they get threaded onto long rods that fit in ultra-modern, digital-display Inferno 4000 rotisserie ovens. A film of moving water on the oven floor transports dripping grease to a holding tank, to be collected for recycling. It takes 90 minutes to cook a full load of 32 or so; after an hour, it starts to “smell like Costco chicken,” says Tom Borkowski, a deli manager who just transferred from the Woodmore Towne Centre store to one closer to his home in Northern Virginia. Temperature is closely monitored.

From Wegman's
Quote:
Ingredients

Honey Brined Chicken (Contains up to 12 percent of a solution of: Water, Seasoning [Sugar, Salt, Honey Powder {Honey, Evaporated Cane Syrup}, Natural Flavor], Vinegar, Salt), Lemon Pepper Seasoning (Salt, Black Pepper, Citric Acid, Onion, Sugar, Garlic, Calcium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Garlic, Calcium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide and Calcium Silicate Added To Make Free Flowing, Celery Seed, Lemon Oil, Yellow 5)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:23 am 

I've done the CI chicken that resembles a rotisserie chicken, the one where you flip it over a few times. We really like that one and if you use a brined or kosher bird then it's pretty darn juicy.