Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chocolate cake - frosting/filling combo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:52 am 

So, hubby turned 50 on Tuesday - I am having a surprise gathering for him on Friday night. I've baked the CI sour cream chocolate bundt cake in three 9 inch layers and they are in the freezer.
I'm going to fill the layers with a marshmallow type frosting (I liked this one - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... ake-241516) and then frost it with a chocolate frosting.

The cake is pretty dense so I'd like a lighter, swirly frosting. You know, the kind you see on Duncan Hines commercials but never comes out of the can that way. I've made a whipped ganache that looked good initially but went too firm when chilled.

Any recipe suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Chocolate cake - frosting/filling combo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:53 pm 

I have one that's whipped cream based - quite light - I used it for my buche de noel when I made one. If that sounds good, I can dig out the recipe (it came from my culinary school).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:00 pm 

Jean, was it CI's Old Fashioned Layer Cake frosting you tried? I remember it as being a PITA to make when I first tested the recipe, but I followed directions and it came out great. I posted it just in case you are interested. Here are my comments about from when I made it: For the frosting I cooked and mixed as told. Put the Kitchen aid bowl on a glass bowl with the entire contents of the ice maker. I don't have the fancy thermometer, just the Polder one. Hardest thing was to not let it touch the bottom of the bowl. Got the temperature down slowly and then wham 68. So I took the ice out ran hot water around the bowl, now I'm at 72, so back in the ice bowl until 70 and finished and frosted the cake. I cut the layers in half and added raspberry preserves mixed with whip cream to the bottom and third layer with the frosting in between. The thing was huge and looked lovely on the inside. The frosting tasted great and looked ok ( frosting beautifully is not my forte anyway) and everyone raved about it. Both Steve and I liked the frosting, not too sweet and I do almost anything not to have to use confectioners sugar, so I loved it.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

FLUFFY CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING Servings: 12 Yield: 4 cups

Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes

16 oz. semisweet chocolate , finely chopped
8 TBS. unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/3 cup sugar
2 TBS. corn syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. table salt
1¼ cups heavy cream (cold)

MAKE FROSTING:

Melt chocolate in heatproof bowl set over saucepan containing 1" of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside. Meanwhile, heat butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted. Increase heat to medium; add sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt and stir with heatproof rubber spatula until sugar is dissolved, 4 to 5 minutes. Add melted chocolate, butter mixture, and cream to clean bowl of standing mixer and stir to thoroughly combine.

Place mixer bowl over ice bath and stir mixture constantly with rubber spatula until frosting is thick and just beginning to harden against sides of bowl, 1 to 2 minutes (frosting should be 70° F.). Place bowl on standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until frosting is light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir with rubber spatula until completely smooth.

FROST CAKE:

Place one cake layer on serving platter or cardboard round. Spread 1½ cups frosting evenly across top of cake with spatula. Place second cake layer on top, then spread remaining frosting evenly over top and sides of cake. Cut into slices and serve.

Recipe Type: Chocolate, Cook's Illustrated, Desserts, Fillings, Frosting and Icings

Source: Cook's Illustrated 3/2006
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes ... docid=7534

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:19 pm 

Lindsay - I'd like that one for future even if I don't make it tomorrow.
Alina, it was the one for the stout cake (epicurious) but I seem to remember making that old fashioned one now too - will see how much time I have tomorrow. Worse case I'm doubling the marshmallow and frost the cake with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:42 pm 

Alina,
I really like that frosting too, despite being a pita. It only seems to firm up too much if you refrigerate it.
Jean, that marshmallow frosting always looked good to me. I'll have to try it. :mrgreen:
Nancy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:05 pm 

I made the old fashioned and it was firm once it hit the frozen cake....you`d think I`d have figured that out as an issue, darn. Mighty tasty all the same but still looking for that looser, lighter frosting.
Cake was a hit none the less.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:40 pm 

Speaking of chocolate frosting, I had some family in town a few weeks ago and they came over for dinner without a lot of notice. I already had a chocolate cake layer in the freezer and since they're fellow chocoholics I wanted to do an easy chocolate frosting. I happened to have saved this recipe at some point and gave the frosting a try. Oh my goodness. It was really light and delicious. Like, really yummy. Especially given how fast it came together. Every raved over it!

Emilie

http://iambaker.net/the-perfect-chocolate-cake/

p.s. And speaking of cake layers, this past weekend I needed to make 2 cakes for thank-you's, so was making a double batch of the tuxedo cake recipe (so I'd have several layers for the freezer) and also a salted caramel apple cake. I screwed up when I was measuring the flour and sugar for the tux cakes (using my scale, I added too much sugar on top of the flour; should have weighed them separately). So to save the mixture I had to add enough ingredients to triple the recipe. End result was 9 chocolate layers and 3 apple. My family thought I had seriously lost it. :roll:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:07 am 

GREAT save, however :!: :D

WELL DONE!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:34 am 

Thanks Wino. It challenged my math skills and I had to pour the dry mixture into another bowl and then back into another, and back again, etc. to figure out how much more sugar to add. So it was quite a production. But at least I'm set for cake layers until I'm old and gray. Oh wait. I am old and gray :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:40 pm 

Emilie

For this frosting do you use the whole milk or heavy cream?