Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: scrambled eggs & herbs????
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:08 pm 

As an aside, I really love SV scrambled. IIRC, I do 15-20 min @ 75 C. They are not set-it-and-forget-it, timing does matter, though it isn't split second, and you need to squish the bag some after 10 min. But very very good, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:57 pm 

Boy, I'm losin' it - had to look that up and then felt extra silly for forgetting it...

Okay, just to step this discussion up a notch; I know Indian cooking favors starting the spices and herbs in not smoking but pretty hot oil/ghee to release extra flavor. I could see adopting this step initially and then letting that cool enough to add the eggs and carry on - your thoughts :?: :)

BTW, I really do appreciate all of your suggestions; for context, we continue following a low-carb diet, so, we eat a lot of scrambled eggs - I will be trying all of these suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:56 pm 

I do frittatas while on Atkins. No real recipe, but I caramelize half a chopped red onion in butter, add in cooked bacon to recrisp (3-4 slices), and pour in eggs mixed with a a couple of tbsp of heavy cream, salt, pepper and a good shake of cayenne. For a 10 inch skillet I use 8 eggs. Top with a few ounces of grated cheddar, and pop in the oven to finish. Slide out, cut into wedges, and eat some and freeze the rest. They microwave great for busy mornings if you wrap and freeze individual portions. Spinach is a nice addition, as are bell peppers and any other low carb veggies you can imagine in a quiche.

For scrambled eggs, I like breakfast burrito style eggs with onion, peppers and salsa. Green onion and chives are both good with eggs too. Or diced ham, tomato and cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 am 
Site Admin

Wino,

So: I am both an avid egg cook, and an avid Indian cook. So time for some TL;DR!

Any herbs can work well with eggs, depending on what else you put in the eggs. Here's combinations I've found to work well:

Basil/ricotta/sun dried tomatoes
Dill/manouri
Oregano/mint/feta
Tarragon (as others have mentioned, good in eggs just on its own)
Parsley/mint/olives
Pesto/broccoli/feta
Brown butter/sage/garlic
Chives, with or without cheddar
Green Garlic/cacciocavallo/peppers
Cilantro/queso fresco/avocado

I've never gotten rosemary to work well with eggs, which is sad since I have so much rosemary. Saffron and cream, on the other hand, makes for amazing decadent scrambled eggs.

Of course, there are many other combinations, but you get the idea.

Regarding Indian food and frying spices: whole seeds, whole peppers, and a few other spices are fried before adding other ingredients. Powdered spices and herbs are not, in general, although kaffir lime leaves and curry leaves are usually added midway through cooking. Cilantro and other delicate herbs are added at the end, though, just as they are in Western European cooking.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:32 am 

I like dill and feta in frittata. I also like leftover spaghetti, but that's hardly Atkins-friendly, is it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:58 am 

JesBelle wrote:
I like dill and feta in frittata. I also like leftover spaghetti, but that's hardly Atkins-friendly, is it?

Me too. Which is why this one is a personal favourite. http://www.canadianliving.com/food/zucc ... ittata.php

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:14 pm 

Oh, I need frittata soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:14 pm 

Ooh, Greek scrambled eggs. I had forgotten how good those are...I like feta, red pepper, cherry tomatoes (or sun-dried) and red onion. I also like the breakfast skillet type scrambles with chorizo and cheese. Mini crustless quiches baked into muffin cups are tasty too. I used to do all sorts of flavours of those. (On a side note, it's taken me a lot of years to be able to look at an egg again after my low carb days).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm 

cmd2012 wrote:
(On a side note, it's taken me a lot of years to be able to look at an egg again after my low carb days).
5 years of HB eggs for breakfast @ work (not EVERY day, but close) as part of the South Beach Diet - I too have been done for a while, for HB eggs. We love scambled eggs but have them now maybe 2x/month, usually on weekends, and prefer them with chives and shredded cheddar or a mexican blend. I also use Ina's method of adding sour cream instead of water or milk. Adds to the taste and texture.

Nance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:43 am 

I know I'm late to this thread.

I completely agree with Paul about SV scrambled eggs...sublime...and, really great if you need to be doing other things at the same time.

My absolute favorite scrambled eggs are Jean-Georges Vongerichten's from Simple to Spectacular. Unbelievably rich and decadent.

I also really enjoy the stir-fried eggs with tomatoes and cilantro from Grace Young's Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge.

Amy