Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What You Yamming About?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:44 am 

As a resident of California, and contributor of the American way (another consumer), I find myself supporting COSTCO whether I want to or not.
My problem this month is that I got suckered into buying their YAMS.

Nobody forced me, I saw them, thought of a yam version of sweet-potato fries - grilled instead of fried.
Well, it never happened. My older son likes candied yams, and so do I, but my doctor told me to lose 20 pounds, so that's out.

Now I'm thinking about a yam HASH; diced with onion, green peppers, some ham or beef or other protein, pan sautéed.
Maybe.

Twenty pounds of whole yams, calling to me from the mountain top (aka: my wife's garage).
I'm accepting suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: What You Yamming About?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:15 am 

Seems to me you can make the doc pretty happy by just throwing out the 20 pounds of yams, thereby 'losing' 20 pounds AND in record time :!: :lol:

BTW, what are you doing up so damn early? :o

HEY, you should call The Fuzzy and see if he's up :!: :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:39 am 

CI has a recipe in Best Skillet Suppers for a ham and sweet potato hash. I make it whenever we have lots of ham to use up. It's on their website, but if you can't access that, let me know and I'll post the recipe.

Actually, I do a couple of CI recipes for sweet potatoes (I assume these will also work for yams, which (9 times out of 10) are the same thing.) that don't add much fat or sugar. The roasted sweet potatoes can be glazed or not and the mashed sweet potatoes use sugar and cream in nearly homeopathic quantities.

Sweet potato soup is another option. It's basically just butternut squash soup made with sweet potatoes instead.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:13 am 

Costco sweet potato/yam mixed box that I've got in the past have been wonderful.
I just can't justify 20 lbs. at a time any more.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:38 am 

That's pretty much the curse of any warehouse store. I've bought too many huge bottles of one sauce or another and now we try to be very selective. Even the olive oil (3-4 liters in plastic bottles) is too much to use in a reasonable amount of time so I'll probably buy a 3-liter can from another source next time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:16 am 

JB,

I would love that recipe if you don't mind posting. I have a whole ham here I have no idea what to do with. I'll start another thread on that.

I also like CIs twice baked sweet potatoes. It is very different and quite tasty.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:18 am 

I do baked sweet potato 'fries'. I peel them, cut them into steak fries, toss with a tbsp or less of olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, and roast on parchment at 400 until browned, flipping once. They are good sprinkled with cumin at the end, or Cajun spice. I do a dipping sauce with half fat mayo mixed with a bit of mustard (about 1 tbsp of mustard to 1/4 cup mayo). Or with ths Cajun spice I do a dip with mayo and chipotle Tabasco. Just add it to the mayo to taste. Since you use just a tbsp or so of the dip, it stays reasonably low calorie.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:30 pm 

The only thing I know to make with yams is boniatillos, which I am sure your doctor would not like. Ottolenghi has several sweet potato recipes I am sure would work well with yams. There is Roasted Parsnips and Sweet Potatoes with Caper Vinaigrette, Two Potato Vindaloo, Sweet Potato Wedges with Lemongrass Crème Fraîche, Sweet Potato Cakes to name a few. Let me know if you'd like any of the recipes.

Last edited by Cubangirl on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:46 pm 

Ken posted about an Ottolenghi sweet potato with figs recipe I'd like to try. Unfortunately, it's the wrong season for figs.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:43 pm 

Skillet Ham and Sweet Potato Hash

1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces bacon, cut into ¼- inch pieces
1 medium onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
1/3 cup heavy cream
¼ teaspoon hot sauce
12 ounces thinly sliced deli ham, cut into ½-inch pieces
4 large eggs

1. Toss the potatoes with the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl and microwave on high until the potatoes begin to soften, 7 to 10 minutes, stirring the potatoes halfway through cooking. Drain the potatoes well.

2. Cook the bacon in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until the fat begins to render, about 2 minutes. Stir in the onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.

3. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the drained potatoes, cream, and hot sauce. Using the back of a spatula, gently pack the potatoes into the pan and cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. Flip the hash, one portion at a time, and lightly repack it into the pan. Repeat the flipping process every few minutes until the potatoes are nicely browned, 6 to 8 minutes.

4. Stir in the ham and lightly repack the hash into the pan. Make four shallow wells (about 2 inches wide) in the surface of the hash.

5. Crack 1 egg into each indentation and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and continue to cook until the eggs are just set, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

Servings: 4

Tips
Be sure to substitute sweet potatoes for just half of the potatoes here. If you try to replace all of the potatoes with sweet potatoes, the hash will have a very soft, mushy consistency.

You will need a 12-inch skillet with a tight-fitting lid for this recipe. A well-seasoned cast iron skillet is traditional, but we prefer a nonstick skillet -- the nonstick surface leaves little chance of anything sticking and burning.

Our favorite tool for flipping the hash is a stiff plastic spatula.